Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Top End Speed

Started by Big dreams, August 28, 2011, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefighter Jeff

Hmmm i'm not an expert but that doesn't sound right.  Something is off on that set-up.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on September 18, 2011, 04:40:43 PM
FYI: The only place in Michigan you can legally run over 55 mph is more than 1 mile offshore on the Great Lakes where speed is unlimited. Every else has a 55 mph speed limit unless posted lower. I'm seeing more 45 mph or lower limits posted each year.

I had no clue that was the case Dan.  Not sure what I usually run at.  I know it's more than your gas saving 45 if the water is nice.  lol  I'm guessing 55-65.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: mikeszr800 on September 18, 2011, 07:26:07 PM
Those speed limits are even enforced in the winter. I learned about them in 2000, when a buddy and I got stopped on our snowmobiles on lake Missaukee. Apparently, 100 is too fast.  I have never had an issue on the water, but do realise that if they want, they could nail me.

As for top speed in the boat, I got 70.4 out of the Skeeter the other day on White Lake. I was alone, had all my gear, and 25 gallons of gas. As for the distance below the pad, I have no clue due to the fact that my indicator doesn't work for the jackplate. That kinda stinks, because I don't have a clue how to consistently run my boat on the top end.

How did the boat handle at that speed Mike??  I finally got gps this year, and was able to check my speed. I got it up to 70.2 one day this fall but I had to work my butt off to do it.  Chinewalk was rough. Still think I have more in it because I don't think it ever got much over 5400-5500 rpms. I guess it's nice saying the boat goes that fast, but I'd rather drive slower and not have to fight (drive through) the chine.   

Mike S.

My boat handles that speed really well.  I am pretty comfortable with it.  Didn't dance around anything like my Nitro did at 60.  Some people say the boat should go faster than that.  One member here, can't remember the name, has one with a 200 on it, and says his will do 72.  There's a guy on BBC who claims his, which is identical to mine in every way, will do 77.  That's even in his signature picture.  I pm'd him to see how his boat is set up, prop pitch, where he runs the jackplate and so on.  But, he never got back to me on that.  But, 70.4 is moving right along, and when it's going that fast, the bow is WAY up in the air.  That gets me kinda nervous.

djkimmel

You shouldn't drive your boat at a speed/trim that induces chine walk. Not safe. By the time you realize you have lost control, it will be too late to do anything about it. It happens in the blink of an eye that you can't take back.

Boating at high speeds is risky so please make sure you ALWAYS have a good life jacket on and your kill switch attached EVERY time. Make sure anyone else in the boat has a life jacket on too. I know people who have been involved in fatal or near fatal accidents that involved high speed. Most of the fatal ones became fatal due to not having the kill switch attached.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fish hound

Sorry Dan, but saying you shouldn't drive at a speed or trim that produces chine is just wrong.  Don't drive past your abilities.  I could take you for a 74 mph run and you wouldn't think anything of it.  I could let you drive and it could get ugly fast at 68 ish.  If you can't drive your boat to PREVENT the chine from even happening, then don't push it.  Boats that are set up right and getting fully up on pad will chine only if the driver doesn't make corrections to prevent it from starting.  Some boats never lift that far.  If you haven't learned to prevent the chine, find someone who has, they can teach you much quicker than you will learn solo.  Never try to "drive through it", that leads to the type of bad things Dan is talking about. 

Matt

Big dreams

Good information here.  Many people think about speed and do not connect chinewalk with speed. 

motocross269

My Bass Cat Jag didn't chinewalk at the 70 mph plus mark once I got it propped and setup correctly.....My Puma hasn't had any issues up to 70 either...I haven't pushed her up to the High 70s to 80 mph mark yet but is sure did handle well in the low 70s...
I honestly think prop and setup will alleviate alot of chinewalk issues on quality hulls...
I have seen some good videos on correcting chinewalk.....If you do a search I am sure you can find something...

I will probably see the top speed on my Puma once....Just to say I did....I like the power to stay on top in the rough stuff but at my old age I don't feel the need for speed so much anymore.... ;D