Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:09:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fuel Additives

Started by Skulley, September 14, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

For years now there have been fuel additives for engines.  Mostly for automobiles, STP was probably the first that I can remember that is supposed to stabilize gasoline.  I am no historian on the subject, but I do have know people that work in the Fuel Laboratory at my work.  I have talked extensively to some engineers on the subject over the last few years and have been privy to fuel additive studies as well as technical bulletin.  I bring this subject to the forum because I am interested in what everyone is using whether it be in their automobile or boat.  I don't use anything in my truck.  I don't need to as I fill the truck up frequently.........way to frequently................but I like my gas guzzling truck.  :-*  I like it a lot!!!   :-*

With the blends of ethanol and gasoline, in regular to mid-grade to premium, it starts to separate in approximately 30 days.  What we read at the pump is that there is a 10% addition of ethanol.  I think, but I am not sure, and I will change this when I and if I remember.............sometimes I don't remember so good, but anyway, I use mid-grade gasoline in the boat and regular in the truck.  As gas in the boat does sit longer between fishing trips.  I have been using Stabile for marine engines in my boats gasoline tank. 

But I saw advertised in BASS Times some new stuff that looks rather interesting.  It's from the makers of Starbrite.  Its called Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment.  I haven't read anything yet at work about this stuff, but I was interested in knowing whether or not any one is using this and if you are using something else, what are you using??  I am going to give it a try on my next tank but if someone has already tried it, I would be interested in your opinion and your opinion of any other fuel additive you may be using.

BD                                ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

markgoetsch

I use the mercury quickleen stage 2 with every fill up of the boat.  I don't use anything for ethonal because living a mile from lake erie I blow threw gas and it has no time before it sits.  I wasn't using quickleen or anything before this year then I saw my motor after it was taken apart and the machanic said he could tell right away that i wasn't running anything and I will say it was DIRTY.  I guess I won't really know if it helps until I see the motor apart again.

As for the truck I've never used anything it has a 135.000 mi and no issues yet. 

stackenem

BD, I use the star tron in my boat along with ring free and have had no problems with my motor. My question to you is why are you using midgrade gas? I was told to run reg gas as if you run higher octane is does not burn off as well and can cause big problems with your pistons. I am running a 2006 yamaha 150.

Stack
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Bender

I ran StarTron for about a year in the boat and I used the cheaper Stabil Marine for my lawnmowers, chainsaws, string trimmers, etc. I don't know if one is better than the other, because I never had a problem with either one. Currently I am using Yamaha RingFree Plus. It is supposed to treat that dreaded, less efficient Ethanol as well. If I put the boat away this winter I will definitely add StarTron to it on top of the RingFree Plus. I just don't trust those "all in one" things such as Pert Plus, etc. From my experiences they do half a good of job on two things rather than 100% of one thing.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Waterfoul

Every one should be using an ethanol additive in every gallon of gas they put in their boat!!!  Even if it has no chance to "sit" in the tank (Goetch) it will eventually EAT EVERY rubber hose and gasket in your motor (including the fuel line from the gas tank).  The phase seperation from sitting in the tank is only half the problem with ethanol.  In reality ethanol is alcohol, something NO outboard motor ever built is designed to handle.  This alcohol will damage every outboard motor in the same way.  Most cars and trucks built since the 90's can handle the ethanol (not all, but most) so we don't see these issues in our dialy drivers or tow vehicles.

All this being said, based on our sales and my research... the Stabil Marine (blue color) out sells all others.  With this product you kill two birds with one stone, it eliminates the ethanol issues, and stabilizes your fuel for winter storage.  Our second best seller (and the one I use) is Valvtect (green bottle).  I seem to sell the Startron mostly to cruiser owners.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

I've done some internet searches on this before. It seems a number of these simply add more alcohol or naptha. It's very hard to tell what is in these products. It just depends who you talk to as to what they like. Some do nothing and some do several. Some store boats empty, some store them full. I've had a mechanic tell me to burn nothing but premium. So, knowing what to do is hard to tell from my side of the screen.
This article though, seems to be pretty good and for now the one I will probably follow.

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/ethanolwinter.asp
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

This is from an independent site (not a valvect site).  Just as an FYI.

VALVTECT COMPLETES ETHANOL TESTS

ValvTect Petroleum, the largest supplier of marine grade gasoline and diesel fuel in the nation, announced the results of its most recent laboratory tests to determine the effectiveness of ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment to prevent ethanol-related problems.  The findings determined that ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment was effective to help prevent the three most serious ethanol-related problems that affect boaters: storage stability, corrosion and phase separation.

In an independent laboratory test, using the same ASTM (American Society of Testing Materials) protocol used by gasoline refiners and engine manufacturers, ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment almost doubled the stability (storage life) of the E10 ethanol-blended gasoline.  "This is exceptional performance, especially since one of the industry's most widely used ethanol treatment additives only improved the stability of the E10 by 20% in the same test," said ValvTect president Jerry Nessenson.

ValvTect reports that ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment completely prevented corrosion in a National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) corrosion test, while the competitive product tested did not prevent corrosion.  "Components in an engine's fuel lines, carburetors and injectors are made of a steel alloy that can corrode when using ethanol or even non-ethanol gasoline," said Nessenson.  "There are wide-spread

reports of corrosion that can be avoided with the use of an effective ethanol gasoline treatment, such as ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment."

In the ASTM moisture control test, ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment retained more water and ethanol in the fuel than the untreated E10 or the competitive product.  "This is an important feature that can help prevent phase separation," said Nessenson.

"These test results prove the effectiveness of ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment to help prevent the most common ethanol related problems," said Nessenson.  "Boat owners should not be afraid to use E10 ethanol gasoline if they use an effective ethanol gasoline treatment, such as ValvTect, and apply good fuel system maintenance."

ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment is available in aftermarket containers for boaters that fill-up at gas stations.  It is also used to formulate ValvTect Marine Gasoline that is only available at Certified ValvTect Marinas nationwide. 

For more information, contact ValvTect Petroleum Products.  800-728-8258.  ValvTect 'at' ValvTect.com  www.ValvTect.com.

This was actually a ValvTect press release from around June 2010. I had to confirm that due to recent copyright issues to make sure it was okay to leave the full text on GreatLakesBass.com. djkimmel

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Skulley

Quote from: stackenem on September 14, 2011, 06:41:55 PM
My question to you is why are you using midgrade gas?

Stack

Stack, I am running mid-grade because that's what my mechanic said I should run in it.  My motor is a 1992 Johnson 155.  It is an industrial outboard motor and has no aluminum in it.  It is very heavy and rather large for the horsepower.  Runs real smooth and has been very dependable.  Mid-grade also has less ethanol in it............but still has ethanol in it.  My mechanic told me today that I should still run some kind of ethanol additive and recommended Valvtec or Star Tron.  

I have read some technical bulletins about Valvtec.  Sounds like some good stuff.  I have access to the ASTM reports about these additives.  I read the one on Star Tron today.  All very interesting.  Hope to hear some more from some other of the forum members.  All your input is appreciated fellas.  I am using stabile for marine now but as I said I am interested in opinions of all additives.

BD                                   ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Team houston

Is Valvtec at any of the sporting good stores? (BPS, Cabelas, Dicks?)

Waterfoul

All West Marine stores carry Valvtect.

Dan

What's the cost for Valvtec and what is the mix  ratio. I would need enough to treat 45 gallons.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Skulley

I found Star Tron at Walmart for $8.96 for an 8 ounce bottle.  Star Tron is also available at some NAPA Auto Parts stores.  Valvtec can be found at some marinas also.  Go to their website www.valvtec.com for more information.

BD                           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigmojet

I live in the NW lower and some stations near lake mi still offer premium without ethanol to cater to boaters.

I run it in my boat,quads,mowers,generators,etc with great success.