Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Top End Speed

Started by Big dreams, August 28, 2011, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

FYI: The only place in Michigan you can legally run over 55 mph is more than 1 mile offshore on the Great Lakes where speed is unlimited. Every else has a 55 mph speed limit unless posted lower. I'm seeing more 45 mph or lower limits posted each year.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Big dreams

I wasn't aware of speed limits on lakes.  Makes sense I guess.

djkimmel

Yup. There are statewide legal speed limits in Michigan on the water. Every now and then I figure I better remind people.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Durand Dan

VinceR

45 MPH on Gull and Orchard, too.

Mike S.

Those speed limits are even enforced in the winter. I learned about them in 2000, when a buddy and I got stopped on our snowmobiles on lake Missaukee. Apparently, 100 is too fast.  I have never had an issue on the water, but do realise that if they want, they could nail me.

As for top speed in the boat, I got 70.4 out of the Skeeter the other day on White Lake. I was alone, had all my gear, and 25 gallons of gas. As for the distance below the pad, I have no clue due to the fact that my indicator doesn't work for the jackplate. That kinda stinks, because I don't have a clue how to consistently run my boat on the top end.

Big dreams

I was on Wiggins Lake in Gladwin the other day.  I have heard a lot of people talking about how it has big fish and no pressure.  I figured I would hit it up before the NBAA and many local clubs start to fish it more next year.  It is only a few hundred acres and when I was doing 50 + on it, I had a few people track me down and give me dirty looks after I stopped.  Thanks for sharing DK!  Saved my tail.

djkimmel

Well, some people just don't like flashy boats. I've never been on Wiggins but I've heard good things. I did notice when I got my bass boat that some people started treating me different but I just do my best to be courteous when I'm running my boat. I don't need to run everywhere by everyone on plane all the time such as when I'm in a constricted area. I still see a few boaters do some pretty careless things on small waters in the name of some local tournament that really doesn't mean a whole lot.

There are also rules about which direction to run around the lake - usually counter-clockwise, and you have to watch for local things like quiet hours and/or no wake times. These are catching on too because of jet skis and loud speed boats going crazy. I think conditions would be better if we had a mandatory license for boat drivers like we do for autos. Just too many people out there who don't have the faintest idea about courtesy, rules and proper navigation.

Though it does make the possibility of getting lots of entertaining video on some waters if the fish aren't biting...

Mike S.

Right on about entertaining video.  But, have you ever just sat around a boat launch?  Now that is entertainment. 

As far as the rules about direction of travel and quiet times, those are kinda nice.  That is one thing I like about Wolf Lake.  No wake until 10, I think it is, and no wake after 7 pm.  I love it, because you can get out there early and get 4 hours of quiet fishing in, and not use any gas.

djkimmel

Boat ramps are amazing entertainment. Wish I had video of a ton of it! We should probably have a boat ramps stories message board!

Redbone

I believe all inland lakes are 55 unless posted otherwise. I asked a CO last year and thats what he told me.  He did give me a funny look when I asked him though. :P

djkimmel

Maybe he thought it was odd anyone would want to go that fast? Don't know but I see some ridiculous, loud speed boats on inland lakes now. Used to be I rarely got passed by loud boats but it happens more often now.

I got caught in the middle of a loud, apparently annual race event of some type on Hardy Dam Pond a couple years ago where I was running my gas saving 45 mph when this big, loud boat decided he had to blow past me and chose to do so while running between me and some else who was running about 50 feet to my left. I really enjoyed having him skipping out the water, having trouble keeping his boat straight because he was overtrimmed, just so he could show me his was faster... phhhbbbbbbbttt! All I got to say to him.

Some of those boaters seemed reckless to me going from one end of the lake and back again over and over and over, turning a peaceful morning on a scenic lake into a loud, bad traffic day on any major highway near Detroit during rush hour. I hope to not go to Hardy anymore when they are there.

I have seen officers out on the water with a radar gun but very rare.

djkimmel

Quote from: Redbone on September 20, 2011, 02:03:52 PM
I believe all inland lakes are 55 unless posted otherwise. I asked a CO last year and thats what he told me.  He did give me a funny look when I asked him though. :P

Yes. Statewide regulations in Michigan literally 55 mph on all waters except greater than 1 mile offshore on the Great Lakes where speed is unlimited, unless otherwise posted locally. Of course, there are standard and local no wake regulations too.

Mike S.

Did that weekend on Hardy happen to be the weekend after Labor Day?  If so, that is the annual event that they call "Hot Boat Weekend".  That is a weekend devoted to adult partying, and going as fast as your boat will allow.  Not a good time to try to get any fishing done there.  But, it is a good time if you have a box of Mardi Gras beads!

Big dreams

I am on my last partial fill of mixed gas and am just going over the 10 hour mark.  I am fishing the Smallwood tourney this weekend and a possible run would be about 5 miles.  If we do that run, I hope to see a little difference as it will have some normal fuel in there.

As for boat launch stories...  Sometimes they are good unless you are waiting for them to get out of the way.  When that happens, it becomes frustrating.  Looking back though, I can laugh at a few lol.

djkimmel

Quote from: mikeszr800 on September 21, 2011, 05:05:01 AM
Did that weekend on Hardy happen to be the weekend after Labor Day?  If so, that is the annual event that they call "Hot Boat Weekend".  That is a weekend devoted to adult partying, and going as fast as your boat will allow.  Not a good time to try to get any fishing done there.  But, it is a good time if you have a box of Mardi Gras beads!

I'm not old enough yet to be allowed to do anything involving 'Mardi Gras' or 'beads' so I will take your word for it. Seems like someone told me they did it twice a year? That will be two weekends I don't want to be there. One minute, a beautiful bald eagle is soaring; the next ROAR!!!!! for the rest of the day...

djkimmel

Quote from: Big dreams on September 21, 2011, 06:10:37 PM
I am on my last partial fill of mixed gas and am just going over the 10 hour mark.  I am fishing the Smallwood tourney this weekend and a possible run would be about 5 miles.  If we do that run, I hope to see a little difference as it will have some normal fuel in there.

As for boat launch stories...  Sometimes they are good unless you are waiting for them to get out of the way.  When that happens, it becomes frustrating.  Looking back though, I can laugh at a few lol.

I think I could write a book just about boat launches ;D

Good luck with the new trial run though Smallwood isn't the biggest lake for running a whole lot. I still haven't been there. Just going by the map where it looks like a smaller Secord. I hope the boat traffic isn't as heavy?

Big dreams

Quote from: djkimmel on September 21, 2011, 08:41:16 PM
Quote from: Big dreams on September 21, 2011, 06:10:37 PM

I think I could write a book just about boat launches ;D

Good luck with the new trial run though Smallwood isn't the biggest lake for running a whole lot. I still haven't been there. Just going by the map where it looks like a smaller Secord. I hope the boat traffic isn't as heavy?

Smallwood is long and narrow.  It is a much smaller lake than Secord.  The only good thing is it isn't as deep so the weeds stop a lot of boat traffic once you get a little ways off the main river.

djkimmel

That should help then, fishing-wise anyways.

Big dreams

Here is an update to my top end speed.  I was able to get it up to 60 with two people partially loaded with roughly 32 gal. of fuel.  I still have hope that it will get an extra 5-10 mph for those early morning trips across the lake.