Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New to side imaging... Purchase tips and criteria?

Started by BNL, February 14, 2011, 12:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNL

I'm totally new to side imaging electronics. I'm considering making a purchase of one of the units. I was leaning towards Humminbird. And was thinking of the Humminbird 898c SI Combo. Would this be a good unit starting out?

How do I go about making the decision of what unit to get? What size is too small to be able to see clearly? What should be my main decision criteria besides cost?

I'm going to be mounting it on my Stratos 285 in-dash or gimbal mounted (not on bow)
Please help as I'm pretty lost trying to figure out this purchase.

Look forward to everyone's thoughts.  I need help...

Wolverines

I've got a 998 SI and I love that graph.  I would reccomend getting the biggest one you can afford.  Not only is the bigger screen nice for sonar and SI, but it's nice for GPS too.  I would think the 800 series on up would be tough to mount in dash so I'd plan on getting a RAM mount for it.  Again, I'd get the biggest one.  I have the lesser RAM mount and I need to upgrade to the bigger one.  It's way too much money sitting on top of that mount to be bouncing around in rough water!!!
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

BryanP

Wolverine has it right, screen size should be your biggest criteria, so get the biggest one you can afford.  You really compress a lot of information in a small area with the smaller screens, so the bigger screen will allow you to see more detail easier.  Plus, it's also easier to see when you do split sonar/gps views.  That said, a smaller screen is still better than not having side imaging.  For the cost, the 898 is a great choice.

On a Stratos 285, you would probably have to gimbal mount the 898.  Some of the newer model Ranger, Triton, and I think Skeeter have started building the dash panels to accomodate the larger units (even the 1100 series on Ranger and Triton), but I would still probably gimbal mount on a RAM so you can take it off the boat.

Waterfoul

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Cy

I concur with all the information and opinions stated above.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

1javelin

Usable space, you only add 1.125" sideways when you go with the 898 over the 798, but the pixel count gets weaker too. Don't know if it's really worth adding $500. The 998 is over another inch bigger and half an inch deeper, probably a little better, though still the weak pixel count. Done a LOT of looking and research, that is what I've come up with. The best bang for your buck far and away is the 1198, though the price is more than most are willing to spend. Just my honest opinion, but I'll probably not be able to afford the big one either, so I'll probably have some smaller ones.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

SethV

I think the 700 series is too small, the 800 is borderline and the 900 series is great.  I have a 997 on a HD ram at the console and a 998 flush mounted on the bow.  Alone they would be too small, but I have a pair of Lowrances to go with them.  You need to see GPS, 2d and SI all at the same time.  About the only way to do all that on one screen is the 1100 series.

Hooksetter

Quote from: 1javelin on February 14, 2011, 06:16:29 PM
Usable space, you only add 1.125" sideways when you go with the 898 over the 798, but the pixel count gets weaker too. Don't know if it's really worth adding $500. The 998 is over another inch bigger and half an inch deeper, probably a little better, though still the weak pixel count. Done a LOT of looking and research, that is what I've come up with. The best bang for your buck far and away is the 1198, though the price is more than most are willing to spend. Just my honest opinion, but I'll probably not be able to afford the big one either, so I'll probably have some smaller ones.

1jav
I have been wondering if the little bit bigger screen is worth the extra $$$ also. The 798 is a HD unit and has about 26,000 more pixels than the 898. Is having the wider screen on the 898 worth losing the HD quality and the extra $400.00? ???

I am leaning towards a 788ci HD DI for the front, I don't think I really need Side Imaging up front. Probably the 798ci HD SI for the console. But that is subject to change, right up to the minute I order them.

Willie

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Bender

What year is your 285? I have a 997 on mine which is an 07. They changed the consoles between 06 and 07 and I had to get a little creative to mount it with the RAM mount that I bought, I'll take pics if you are interested. I really like the Humminbird and really want to get another for up front. Of course I would prefer an 1198, but to me it looked too big on the boat. One thing is for sure, once you get you will lose a lot of fishing time because you will drive around looking at stuff. It's amazing what all you will find like three cars I found in Belleville Lake.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

1javelin

Hooksetter, I'm kind of with you. I don't need the side imaging up front, but I really want the down imaging there. I just need a unit to link waypoints from the console, but I think getting the biggest screen possible is worth it. I looked at the Lowrance units, found an unbelievable deal, but on a tip from Skip I called Lowrance to check out the service and ask questions. To run DI up front also, you have to run 2 LSS-1 boxes. That's not what I wanted to hear.

I thought about putting a 958 or 1158 up front, but I really want the DI there also. So unless I just can't come up with the funds, I'll probably try to get the 2 biggest units I can get my hands on. Hoping for a fruitful tax return so I can splurge! Keep us informed on what you find and get. We are all interested whether we say so or not.

1jav

Waterfoul

Bottom line is this:

Get the biggest screens you can afford.  For me that is a 788ci up front and a 797ci si at the console.  I love them both.  But like I said... it's what I can afford so it's what I have.

Surprised no one has brought up Lowrance and the LSSI side imager.  I sell them all... and have used most of them at one point.  Stick with the Humminbird.  You'll save money, the LSS1 is anywhere from $500-600 ON TOP of the price for the fish finders, and have a lot less wires and cables to deal with.  Plus... if you buy a side imaging Humminbird that doesn't have the down scan... you can add it for free.

Just my thoughts.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

LAPORTE

Quote from: Bender on February 14, 2011, 10:18:55 PM
It's amazing what all you will find like three cars I found in Belleville Lake.

??? Where ??? tell me tell me I must know .... ;D ;D ;D
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

blakstr1

maybe you've already made your decision but i've had both the Humminbird 797 and 997.....hands down the 997 was worth every penny more.  the 7 series although a clear and good unit was just way too small.  i bought my 997 on ebay and got a great deal with the Navionics installed.  worth looking
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

5alive

I agree with Blake, 900 series or bigger, plus a little more power there too. With these great units check out getting the Lakemaster chip, pretty interesting with what you can do with it!
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

Hooksetter

This is the best pricing I have found so far:

1198c HD SI.....$2,417.82

998c SI..........$1,717.00

898c SI..........$1,295.00

798ci HD SI.....$906.68

788ci HD DI.....$690.97

These prices are for complete packages including all transducers, antenna's, cables, hardware etc.

These are from a supplier right here in mid Michigan, so some of the money stays right here in our economy. If someone has found better let me know, I am ready to buy in the next few weeks.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Bender

Quote from: LAPORTE on February 15, 2011, 06:39:13 AM
??? Where ??? tell me tell me I must know .... ;D ;D ;D
Sorry Don, I think that those were on Ford Lake. It's been a few years. I'll look for the screenshots and send them to you if I can find them.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Waterfoul

Quote from: Hooksetter on February 15, 2011, 09:14:44 AM
This is the best pricing I have found so far:

1198c HD SI.....$2,417.82

998c SI..........$1,717.00

898c SI..........$1,295.00

798ci HD SI.....$906.68

788ci HD DI.....$690.97

These prices are for complete packages including all transducers, antenna's, cables, hardware etc.

These are from a supplier right here in mid Michigan, so some of the money stays right here in our economy. If someone has found better let me know, I am ready to buy in the next few weeks.

Willie

I'm working on price quotes for these units.  When I have them, I'll let you know.

Mike

1javelin

Me too Mike. Still in the air on my choices.

1jav

LAPORTE

What about an 858c Combo for the front what do you guys think ?

Willie
[/quote]

I'm working on price quotes for these units.  When I have them, I'll let you know.

Mike
[/quote]
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Wolverines

I've got a 788 CI flush mounted on my bow.  I flip a lot so it is the perfect unit and setup for me.  I guess if I structure fished more than I flipped then I could definitely see a use for a large unit RAM mounted at the bow, but the last thing I want to do is accidentally drive a 1oz. tungsten weight into the screen of a $2000 graph :o

I also would say getting a unit that is Lakemaster compatible is good advice.  Both of my graphs are and it is really cool what all you can do with that chip...
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217