Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New to side imaging... Purchase tips and criteria?

Started by BNL, February 14, 2011, 12:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefighter Jeff

Wow, lots of good information.  Not sure I understand it all. lolol  Does one need a special college engineering degree to be able to use one of these???  lolol  One part I'm still not real clear on is the two different types of down imaging.  Thanks for posting !!!

1javelin

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on February 25, 2011, 08:54:00 PM
   Wow, lots of good information.  Not sure I understand it all. lolol  Does one need a special college engineering degree to be able to use one of these???  lolol  One part I'm still not real clear on is the two different types of down imaging.  Thanks for posting !!!

I'll explain it in more detail when we talk Jeff, but for the most part, the DI models have a different format than the SI/DI units, so they can't share info. Hope that's simple enough.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Eric

Jeff, you don't need to be an engineer, but since you're only an EMT, you probably won't get it. ;)  I PM'd you the info you asked for.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

huston

From my homework on HB DI and HB SI, if one unit is on the bow and the other unit is on the console, you may experience a problem known as cross talk where the two units beams interfere with each other. Also with the transducer that  would be mounted on the TM might have to be changed depending on what TM you have. I'm also wondering about the accuracy of SI transducer for mounting inside your boat. The ethernet update/software is not out yet either. Makes you want to wait until all the bugs are ironed out. Reminds me of the Auto industry changing models every year and making your model obsolete within a year.

1javelin

Went to Bryan's seminar today, and am now 100% convinced I am getting Humminbird.  Super easy to use, understand, and some amazing technology.  Plus, they keep you up to dast with the new updates.  The only reason you know about some of the info they are releasing in the next updates are because it's what you're asking for and they want you to know what's being done. 

1jav

huston

More info-RF (radio frequency) interference from the trolling motor is random and can occur at any frequency. You won't know if you will have it until you do an actual install. The one good thing you have going for you is the Minnkota motor. Those are the least likely to produce RF due to the proactive construction. IF you get RF, all you need to do is call Humminbird customer service and they will help you, they have heard it all, LOL.

There is no dedicated TM transducer in production for the DI units. Transducer Shield and Saver has a very sturdy mount for that application and I highly recommend it. It is not on their web site yet, just call and ask. The DI frequencies cannot be utilized with the transducer that is in trolling motors.

A Side Imaging transducer cannot be used for Side Imaging as a shoot-thru. It has to be mounted externally. Whether or not you need to add an additional 2D shoot-thru transducer for on-plane depth readings depends on your hull design and material. If you can get on-plane depth at speed with your present sonar unit then maybe you only need the supplied transom HDSI transducer.

The Side Imaging transducer has the crystals for both SI frequencies (455/800 khz) and both 2D frequencies (83/200 khz).

The SI transducer mounting position has to provide an un-obstructed line of view directly horizontal left and right and even to the surface.

DI on Side Imaging units is the same frequencies and transducer crystals as SI, just a different computer generated image. DI is not an adaptation of the 2D frequencies with Side Imaging units or Down Imaging units. The SI and DI technology is completely different in frequencies and sonar pulse shape as well as the display software.

Only the transducers with DI units like the 788ci HD DI can be used as shoot-thru on some hulls.

The GPS antenna is included with the standard package which also includes the mount, transducer, accessory Y cable, and power cord. There are cheaper models out there that are the display only. Those are the CHO models. If you see a really "good" deal on some web sites, ask specifically does all the parts come with it or if it is the CHO model.

I suggest you make the purchase at a marine electronics dealer.
The electronics dealers usually sell for less than suggested retail. . You can also do a web search for those specific models and maybe get a lower price, that seems to change almost daily among suppliers.

The whole key to an installation is hull design, hull material, hull construction, motor rigging, and boat capability.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Eric on February 26, 2011, 07:29:30 AM
Jeff, you don't need to be an engineer, but since you're only an EMT, you probably won't get it. ;)  I PM'd you the info you asked for.

LMAO Eric !!!!  You PI's are all alike  !!!!   Will check my messages shortly, thanks.

huston

Thru hull transducer vs. transom mount transducer is a option that us HB SI wannabe's need to think about before installation. From my research into it, you can exchange your transom mount for a thru hull mount SI transducer free at HB. What are the benefits of one over the other to me depends on transom design, mounting configuration and accessibility. From what I've read, you will also be needing a shoot thru transducer mounted in your bilge area for on plane SI readings. Both thru hull and transom mount have to be Y connected via a cable to the  SI unit. Thru hull means drilling a hole somewhere in the bottom, 1 1/8 " as opposed to transom mount which can be complicated with jack plates, powerpoles bilge pumps, water intakes etc... in that location. If you are going to do this yourself, search around for more info. I've seen HB SI DI websites  just for these sort of issues. The ethernet software has not been put out by HB yet but if you're going to install two units that are ethernet compatible, your best bet is to buy the cables and install them when you install the units. It might be kind of rough to link them afterward. Anybody correct me please if this is incorrect.

Hooksetter

I was gonna install the SI transducer on the hole shotplate on the bottom of the jackplate. I think thats where Vince put the SI transducer on his boat. I fished with him a few years ago on St. Clair and if memory serves it worked great. Maybe he will chime in and confirm or deny that info, my memory isn't what it used to be.

I was at BPS over the weekend looking at the Humminbirds and I think I am going with the 788 up front and the 898 at the console. The 898 was easier to read with the screen split up into the different modes, at least for me. I couldn't really tell any difference in picture quality between the 898 and the 798HD. Could it be they display the same picture in demo mode, or is it just my old eyes can't tell the difference?

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

BryanP

Herman,

It's the 200kHz 2D sonar on the DI units that has a 25 degree cone vs 200kHz 20 degree on the rest of the HB line.  2D and Down Imaging are totally different. 

Also, the comment about 20 deg of the SI image coming from DI is also incorrect.

BryanP

Huston-

The Thru Hull SI transducer you mention is an excellent choice if your boat's configuration will allow it.  They work great on Rangers, and that's what I'm usning on mine.  I mounted it on the underside of the transom setback.  Everything is run directly into the boat with no exposed cables, and the ducer is flush so it cannot het damaged.

As for Ethernet software, it's scheduled to be released in a couple weeks.  So running the cable now definitely won't hurt anything, and it'll be there when the software is ready.

1javelin

Quote from: BryanP on March 02, 2011, 10:17:48 AM
Herman,

It's the 200kHz 2D sonar on the DI units that has a 25 degree cone vs 200kHz 20 degree on the rest of the HB line.  2D and Down Imaging are totally different. 

Also, the comment about 20 deg of the SI image coming from DI is also incorrect.

Thanks Bryan, obviously I got mixed up between you talking and me pushing buttons. Thanks.   

1jav

huston

BryanP

1javelin

Threw myself to the sharks, ordered two 898si units for the old gal. Now I am in need of donations so I can still have money to fish!

1jav

huston

Ordered mine and they are in route. I think i'll send my transom mount back to Hb and get the thru hull. I ordered all my cables and my clamp for the transducer on the TM too. Happy....Happy....Happy. I 've got to hide it from the wife.

BryanP

Huston, if you're running a SI unit on the bow, you might consider getting a XTM 9 SI 180 T for the bow.  It's the compact SI ducer for the 700 series, and it's a puck style so it's more flush and won't hang down as far.  If you do this, just understand that you will only get 455kHz beam for SI as this transducer does not have 800kHz.  I've had one of these on my boat for the past 3 years with my 998, and it's a nice clean mount.  If you're running a DI unit like the 788ci HD DI, then you have no choice but to get a trolling motor clamp.

Waterfoul

Anyone know if humminbird is going to offer DI upgrades for the non-DI 700 series units?  I know a new transducer would be needed.. but I"m wondering if the older 787 and 788 units would accept the upgrade if it were offered.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

rkillick

I have the 798ci at the console and the 788ci at the bow. The screens are small but they work. A must have that I really like is the link between them, that way the waypoints show up on both units.

stackenem

I got my 788 ci hd di unit last week. Remember if you are going to mount it in the console or in the front not using the mount that comes with it to get the in dash mounting kit for it also. I think it is around $24. When I took my lowrance unit out of the front of my boat the mount for it is horizontal and the mount for the humminbird is vertical. Just an FYI.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing