Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New to side imaging... Purchase tips and criteria?

Started by BNL, February 14, 2011, 12:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasttrack

I have a 997 at the console and love it. I'm adding a 788 to the bow now. Something bigger would be cool, but I got a good price on the 788 (from Waterfoul) and will still be a big improvement over whats there now.
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

Hooksetter

858c combo...$863.50.

Also, I should have stated in my last post that the prices do not include any taxes or shipping. Neither does the above price.

I apologize if not clearly stating that caused any problems.

Don, I considered a 858c combo up front but I don't have enough room to flush mount it. I can flush mount the 788. Also, I have a preference for the HD units.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Waterfoul

Still waiting on the quotes.  I do have to charge tax, but will ship in Michigan to GLB members for free.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

BNL

Thanks for all the information.  It is great to hear from people when considering this type of purchase.

Do the RAM mounted (next to the dash) bigger units (1198 / 998) ever feel too big or in the way?  I worry about that on my 18.5' boat.

Any ideas on how big a unit can be flush mounted in the bow of my boat?  Can I do a 798 or 898 flush?

I am pretty much clueless as to whether I will need any other upgrades to handle these kinds of electronics on my boat.  I have a newer Stratos, with a 3 bank charger and just want to know if there are another upgrades/changes I will need to make.

And I definitely would like to support a GLB sponsor or poster or ever just a company in Michigan, so please let me know if there are any deals out there on the 898 and 998.

So, what I've learned... size matters most (something I've heard my whole life....ha) and that Humminbird is the way to go.  And that this purchase will be well worth it.  All great things.

Thanks again for all the info.

Tha

Wolverines

Quote from: BNL on February 15, 2011, 05:09:37 PM
Do the RAM mounted (next to the dash) bigger units (1198 / 998) ever feel too big or in the way?  I worry about that on my 18.5' boat.

I have a Ranger 188 VX which I'm sure is very similar in size as your Stratos. I have my 998 on a RAM mount and I angle it towards me quite a bit so I can easily reach the buttons.  It sits lower than my wind shield and I've never felt that it's in my way.

Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

SethV

Quote from: BNL on February 15, 2011, 05:09:37 PMDo the RAM mounted (next to the dash) bigger units (1198 / 998) ever feel too big or in the way?  I worry about that on my 18.5' boat.

No such thing as a graph that is too big.  Thats like a boat that is too fast.   ;D

Waterfoul

Too much money, a girl too pretty... I could go on.

Go big or go home!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Bender

Here's a 997 on my Stratos 285:

The arm of the RAM mount is too short for the newer consoles. They make a long arm version which I would suggest. Where I mounted the big arm there is about 3/4" thick fiberglass behind it. The mount is solid and I ran with it like that for a couple years but it took a little beating on the big water so I added that support on the bottom.
I know my water pressure gauge is broken, it just happened.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Waterfoul

Firefighter Jeff

Great information guys, keep the info and results coming.  In the market, just not sure which way to go also.

huston

huston

Can a  Humminbird 778 c Hd be interlinked with a  with a  Humminbird 898 c SI to show GPS, waypoints, routes, sonar? Basically, what all info can be shared from the 898 to the 778 using the interlink module? Or Can these two units use the ethenet cable and the 898 show the info to the 778?

smbassman

Quote from: 1javelin on February 14, 2011, 10:31:13 PM
Hooksetter, I'm kind of with you. I don't need the side imaging up front, but I really want the down imaging there. I just need a unit to link waypoints from the console, but I think getting the biggest screen possible is worth it. I looked at the Lowrance units, found an unbelievable deal, but on a tip from Skip I called Lowrance to check out the service and ask questions. To run DI up front also, you have to run 2 LSS-1 boxes. That's not what I wanted to hear.

I thought about putting a 958 or 1158 up front, but I really want the DI there also. So unless I just can't come up with the funds, I'll probably try to get the 2 biggest units I can get my hands on. Hoping for a fruitful tax return so I can splurge! Keep us informed on what you find and get. We are all interested whether we say so or not.

1jav

This information is not correct.  One LSS-1 box will allow you to view SI and Downscan or anyother network sensor on 3 units.  You will use the same side scan transducer, but I have not had any issues with it.  I don't have anything good or bad to say about humminbird - but I LOVE my Lowrances.  The downscan is incredible and although I didn't expect to need the side scan up front, I have found it extremely useful when drifting down rivers and when idling around looking for beds.  For both of these the single purchase of the $500 LSS-1 for two units was worth it.  The LSS-1 also acts as a ethernet connection between units for sharing sensors, weather, radar...  I'm not sure if Humminbirds do this automatically or if you need to buy an additional network. 
Either brand - Bigger is usually better.  I have a HDS 8 (console) & HDS 7 (bow) and I don't feel that I need anything bigger than that.

1javelin

SM, my information is correct, maybe I didn't clarify enough. You can only view images from 1 transducer, so in order to have DI on the trolling motor also, as in the view from the trolling motor, you need 2 LSS-1 boxes. You can see the image on either unit, but can't have a transducer for DI at the front and rear without both boxes, or running 2 transducers with a switch, or unplugging one and plugging in another. Hope that is clear. Sorry if anyone else misinterpreted what I was saying. I think I'm goig with Lowrance unless Bryan can sway me Saturday!

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

BryanP

Huston, yes a 778c HD can be Interlinked with an 898 to show gps, waypoints, and routes, however it will not share sonar, nor will it make the 778 a mapping unit. 

Whe you Interlink these two, you can share waypoint/route data, as well as other accessories.  You can also share a common gps antenna, however I would recommend using separate antennas for each unit for a couple reasons. 1) you can place the antenna closer to the respective transducer for better accuracy, and 2) you get a "4 times faster" update on your gps.

If you Ethernet the two, you can share waypoint/route/gps data, as well as sonar data.  However, only side imaging units can read side imaging data.  So if you're hoping to get SI on your 778 HD by connecting via ethernet, it won't work.  Again, if it were me, I'd want separate transducers for each unit as well since I like to know what's directly under the trolling motor when I'm fishing as opposed to having the bow unit read off the transom mounted transducer.

IMO, the main reason to Interlink or Ethernet is sharing waypoint data.  The interlink is a box, and ethernet requires 1 cable.

BryanP

1Jav, just curious what you based your decision on?  Or did you simply find a better deal on the Lowrance system?

huston

That information, Bryan, was valuable to me. I have some old Eagle 480 Elites and was contemplating upgrading to the HB line but upgrades are not out, what will work with what, and what a fisherman needs etc..... are all problems. Interference from the trolling motor. All I keep reading is horror stories about what to get between Lowrance and HB. What you explained is what I want to do but I want to do it right the first time, not have to come back with this attachment or this adapter. The 778c HD does not allow for SD cards such as Hot Maps, Lakemaster but I don't think I need Side Imaging on the bow which was where it was going. If a unit at the console will deliver info to a unit at the bow such as waypoints, routes GPS and sonar via Ethernet cable, then that's the way to go. I do agree that a separate transducer for the trolling motor is needed but now depending on what trolling motor you have and what you install on the bow, you may have  RF interference. I'll probably not get the 778c HD since it can't accept the SD cards. Technology changes every few minutes and all you can do is try and keep up. I've got two hockey puck antennas ON the boat and I'll probably have to drill more holes for everything.

BryanP

If you get the 788ci HD, that unit comes with an internal antenna, so you will not have to drill a hole for a gps puck up front, and it's also ethernet compatable.  With that unit, you will also be able to use Lakemaster and Navionics mapping.

I would not let the "possibility" of RF interference from the trolling motor influence your decision to mount or not mount a transducer on the trolling motor.  There are thousands of units out there being run on trolling motor transducers (both HB and Lowrance), and the vast majority never experience any interference. And there are noise filters available to combat this if necessary.  Keep in mind that for every unit you read about online that has interference (and I'm talking about all brands), there are hundreds that don't.  And believe it or not, you can still get RF interference from your trolling motor and even your outboard on console units (agaio I'm not singling out any one brand or manufacturer).

huston

Thanks for that info. I was looking at the HB 788ci HD DI or HB 788ci HD for the Bow and ethernet it from whatever I put on the console. Software updates are due next month for ethernet capabilities. You're an asset this this website and I do appreciate your input.

huston

Ethernet is a simple straight plug in solution. There are no extra boxes or power sources required. Ethernet allow users to share waypoints, routes, tracks and GPS position information. It DOES NOT SHARE MAPS. It will also allow users to share Sonar information.
GPS receivers and transducers are plugged into the units the same way they have been whether you use Ethernet or not. Ethernet is simply a separate cable that communicates information between two units.

The following 800,900 and 1100 series units are compatible with Ethernet: 858c, 898c SI, 958c, 998c SI, 1197c SI, 1198c SI.

Ethernet cables are available in 4 lengths:
2 foot- AS EC 2E
10 foot- AS EC 10E
20 foot- AS EC 20 E
30 foot- AS EC 30 E

There is also a 30 foot extension cable if more length is required:
AS ECX 30 E
Also make sure both units have the correct software for Ethernet functionality

To Ethernet a 700 HD Series unit you will need to add an adapter on to the end of the standard Ethernet cables mentioned on the previous page. This cable is the AS EC QDE. It is shown below:

The 2011 Models 700 HD Series units that are compatible with Ethernet are 798ci SI HD, 788ci, 778c HD and 788ci HD DI. No other 700 series units are compatible with Ethernet. (Non-HD and Prior 2010 Models are not Ethernet Compatible)

If you wants to use a TS-W Speed Sensor (paddle wheel) or a separate Temp Sensor (TG-W) with a 700 HD Series unit that is connected via Ethernet you will have to use an adapter since the Temp/Speed plug on the back of the 700 HD Series unit has been replaced by the Ethernet connector. This adapter is AS SW Y and is shown below.

-----

An explanation about the transferring of Sonar information

A unit can only receive Sonar information over the Ethernet that it is capable of using without Ethernet. By this I mean that for a unit to receive Side Imaging Sonar information over the Ethernet it must be a side imaging unit.

2D sonar units will only receive 2D sonar over the Ethernet
Examples: 778c HD, 788ci HD, 858c,958c,1158c

Side Imaging Units can receive 2D, DownImaging from Side Imaging and Side Imaging Sonar over Ethernet
Examples: 798ci SI, 898c SI, 998c SI, 1197c SI, 1198c SI

DownImaging units can only receive 2D Sonar and DownImaging Sonar
Example: 788ci HD DI

(Down Imaging from Side Imaging) and (DownImaging) are two different technologies and aren't compatible over Ethernet.

Explanation
The DownImaging that comes from a Side Imaging Unit will not transfer via Ethernet to a DI unit. For example if I hook up a 1198 and 788ci HD DI unit the only information they can share is the 200kHz Downlooking sonar. No DownImaging information will be shared.

If I hook up a 1198 to a 798 they will share 200kHz downlooking, 83kHz downlooking, DownImaging from Side Imaging and Side Imaging Sonar.

----

#1- Ethernet and Interlink WILL NOT work at the same time. Whenever an Ethernet cable is hooked up to a unit the Interlink functionality is automatically disabled.

#2- Ethernet will not transfer other accessory information like Weathersense or XM NavWeather

#3- With Interlink we were using Y cables to allow you to plug in both Interlink and GPS. With Ethernet the GPS can be plugged directly into the back of the unit without a Y cable unless you need to connect another accessory like Weathersense or XM Nav Weather.

---