Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New to side imaging... Purchase tips and criteria?

Started by BNL, February 14, 2011, 12:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huston

I'm putting the HB 788ci HD DI on the bow so as suggested, Bryan, I did pick up the TM mount clamp. Thanks too.

huston

I received my HB 898c Si from Uniiversalmania today, my 788ci HD DI is a little slow getting here but I ran the ethernet cable anyway. I started installing it pulling cables and removing my old Eagle 480's. Looks pretty easy to me. My only problem is putting a shoot thru in the bilge area because it's so tight to work in. I decided to call HB and see if I can  trade back their transom mount transducer for a thru hull type. I see a flat spot in my bilge area at the rear that will work. The disk that came with it is the manual and it seems to have the ethernet software upgrade whatever. When I registered it, I downloaded an ethernet update. I really won't know until I power it up which won't be for a while. Al who are buying this line, don't forget the cables for ethernet and possibly two transducers.

1javelin

Got both of my 898's today, STOKED!!!! I have to get the Ethernet cable now, a bracket for the transducer to mount on the trolling motor, and I think I need longer power cords. Spring hurry up!!!

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Hooksetter

So just to be sure I understand all this, If I have a 798ci HD SI and a 788ci HD DI all I need to connect them is the ethernet cable? No other adapters since they are both HD units?

If that's true, it looks like part# AS EC 10E would do it for me. Plus the TM bracket.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

huston

No, Hooksetter, you will also be needing a HB AS EC QDE adapter cable also. and probably TM clamp designed for that transducer.(Humminbird AD XTM 9 Transducer Mounting Hardware Kit) You may be needing  two transducers for the transom area of your boat, one for the DI and one for the dual beam. From my understanding, when you're on  plane, your DI transducer will probably not read since it may be out of water depending on boat design and where you mount it, so a secondary dual beam shoot thru transducer should be mounted in the bilge area and another cable, AS SI DB Y, will be needed. If Bryan sees this post, He could  cover all this to confirm it. I started yesterday removing my old stuff and that's been a job all by itself. Don't remove your old stuff until you have everything since you can use old wiring to pull new wiring.

BryanP

Hooksetter, you would need the ethernet adapter cables as Huston mentioned (one for each unit), along with the ethernet cable itself.  The 700 HD series are the only ones that need the adapter.  The reason for this is in order to continue the use of the HB quick disconnect mount, it was necessary to have a plug that would work with that mount.  Instead of making a whole set of cables for just the 700 series, they came out with an adapter.

If you plan to use the 798ci SI HD on the console, and want high speed 2D sonar readings, you will need an XP-9-20 epoxied in your hull, and AS SI DB Y cable to connect both the in hull dual beam  and external SI ducer to your unit.  I would recommend mounting the SI ducer to your jackplate if you have one, or somewhere on your transom where it's out of the water when you're running on plane (but still in the water while idling).  Just make sure there is nothing obstructing the beam to the right and left of the transducer.

Ethernet software updates were released for most units as of last Friday evening.

huston

Thanks Bryan, I don't know what we'd do without you........Whew

Hooksetter

Thanks to all for all the good info. I can now make my purchase knowing I will be getting  exactly what I need, no more, no less.

Even with all my own research I missed a few important details that would have led to frustration and aggravation when it came time to install everything.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

BryanP

Hooksetter, one more thing--Depending on how long your boat is, you might go to the next size longer ethernet cable.   If it's an 18' bass boat or longer, I'd get the longer cable.  Remember, you probably won't have a straight shot between where the units are mounted, and will probably have to snake it around stuff under the console, etc.   Better to have too long a cable than too short.

djkimmel

Some of you might want to check out this ebay auction ending on Mar 13, 201120:00:35 PDT for a Humminbird 1198 new with NO RESERVE:

Bid was less than $450 at 2:10am on 3/7/2011

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Here's a few more from the giant savings empire that is ebay that might interest all you insatiable Humminbird side imaging persons (don't worry, I will join you one day) - several possible choices ending very soon with a couple pretty good prices. I'll keep an eye out for more in case it beats any other deals you might find - just mouse over the graphic to see the latest bid/price and how much time each auction has left - each graphic is a separate auction:

These 3 are all ending during the day on 3/7/2011

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Some of the accessory and adapter information seems like a foreign language to me.  lol  Question   I already have a Lowrance x135 in my dash.  I wouldn't need the thru hull transducer for a HB SI DI for running on plane when I can just use the Lowrance, correct?? 

huston

You only want a thru hull SI transducer if you want to exchange your Si,(transom mount) transducer. Both of those are SI transducers. From my understanding, if you already have that Lowrance unit in your dash, and it can read depth when you're on plane, then you don't need to install a shoot thru transducer in your bilge area to read depth readings on plane. I had an Eagle 480, but it wasn't in the dash and I did not want two units sitting at my console area, so I had to install a shoot thru transducer to read depth when I'm on plane. The SI transom mount transducer probably cannot be installed in the same location as your Lowrance transducer either. Remember if your getting two Ethernet units, you will have to get Ethernet cables for communication between the two and if you're mountind a transducer on the trolling motor the you need a TM bracket too.   

Firefighter Jeff

Durand Dan

I had an opportunity to purchase a brand new Humminbird 797 C2 SI Combo Sonar today for $150. It looked like a good deal so I bit. Any input?

Hooksetter

Peace.

Durand Dan

Quote from: Hooksetter on March 08, 2011, 09:51:19 PM
Can you get another 1 for me???!!!

Willie
Willie,
I went back to the alley to see if the guy was still there and he was nowhere to be found. Sorry! ;D