Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

POLL: Should the Alabama Rig be banned in bass tournaments

Started by djkimmel, January 18, 2012, 03:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Alabama Rig be banned in bass tournaments?

Yes
30 (39%)
No
47 (61%)

Total Members Voted: 77

djkimmel

Lets just go ahead and find out where the majority lies on GreatLakesBass.com. I'm curious and there will be lots of discussion now that B.A.S.S. has made a move.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I really don't see a legitimate reason why it shouldn't be legal. It's just one of many fads to come and go. Who wouldn't want to possibly catch a 5 fish limit in a single cast? An angler could land 2 keepers on a crankbait, and nothing is said, there are no rules against it. It is the same principle. You are fishing, trying to put as many big fish in the boat as possible, so as long as you are legally taking fish, there should be nothing said.

Not letting the Alabama Rig be used is as ridiculous as not being able to drop shot on Muskegon, White, and Mona.

motocross269

I have kind of mixed feelings on the A-rig....I think it could possibly open a can of worms with multiple lures.....How far could it go..??
I look at it somewhat like trolling....

As far as BASS banning the rig....It is their "game"...as long as the rules are enforced consistently then I don't have a gripe....

I will give them a try in the spring and see what happens if they stay legal for local tournaments..

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

Well,

To me it's funny
For BASS you need a 60k boat, two 10" screens up front and a 10" SI in the console, 200 dollar rods and 20 dollar sq. bill crank baits in every color.

But you can't fish a Alabama Rig for the reason it catches to many fish
and that's not skillfull?

It's a big step backwards

THe good part would be
If there that worried about the rig
I'm getting excited about throwing it this spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waterfoul

I am not going to vote "yes" or "no" because I think it be up to the tournament director/ruling board.  As was said earlier... it's their "game" and if they don't want it... so be it.

I think we here in Michigan have bigger issues to "vote" on.  Closed season?  Why... it really does nothing it is designed to do.  Drop shotting on Michigan lake shore lakes?  Again, doesn't do what it was "designed to do," none of us are out there trying to snag salmon.  I think these two issues should be put to a "vote" by those in power to make the changes before we worry about the A-rig.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bassfan586

Why ban it?  Its like trolling.  How. Please elaborate how throwing an a rig is like trolling.  Because you can throw many baits at once?  If its legal in that state so what. I didnt read or hear about elite series pros setting up rods in rod holders and making trolling passes with these things.  Its just a tool that works sometimes.  Its not a magic bait that produces 5 fish casts everytime you throw it.   Double fluke rigs and drop shotting with a jig for a weight is also out.  How abou tbanning side imaging and map chips.  When in a couple hours you can pick apart structure and fish the high percentage fish holding areas.  Before that technology it took skill, a little imagination and a lot of time to find those areas. I would never say ban it. How about scent you apply to baits? Or better yet the hydrowave?  Now there is a good one.  A device you place in the water to turn fish on to feed through audio cues.  Thats ok but if you throw an a rig and  turn fish on through viual cues thats not right.  Its trolling, using live bait ect.  I wouldnt ban the hydrowave either but it may happen......  Bottom line it still takes skill and a little imagination to fish this correctly and in the right situation.  Sure average joe can get lucky with it.  He or she can get lucky with any bait.  Im off my soap box now
Got one!

blakstr1

I bought one of the rigs as soon as they came out and am truly excited to try it....that being said at the show last weekend while attending the Q&A session with KVD...he made mention of something that really has me thinking.  He said while speaking of the A-Rig and the Guntersville tournament where it got all of the attention...that there was loads and loads of footage that BASS couldnt show with multiple fish being caught where the fish were getting tore up.  Sounded like gashes to the sides and similar to me, with that many hooks in a concentrated area and multiple fish fighting for them it is bound to happen.  Something i am sure BASS considered while making the decision to ban it from competition.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Durand Dan

I voted yes, but in the context of what B.A.S.S. is trying to do. The intention was to hold the Elite series Anglers to a higher standard and that I applaud. I my case, I could use a gill net and not get the weight! ;D
DD

dartag

I voted yes and have a bunch made that will be fun to use.  Been throwing it off my breakwall with different baits.  Sure looks good.    Guess it must not be to bad on the fish because it is not banned in all BASS events.

" The rule change, which does not apply to Bassmaster Open, B.A.S.S. Federation Nation, College B.A.S.S. and other events, " 

As far as hurting fish. If you watch tournys on TV you will see many bass foul hooked on crankbaits and go right in the livewell.   

motocross269

Quote from: bassfan586 on January 19, 2012, 12:28:43 AM
Why ban it?  Its like trolling.  How. Please elaborate how throwing an a rig is like trolling.  Because you can throw many baits at once?  If its legal in that state so what. I didnt read or hear about elite series pros setting up rods in rod holders and making trolling passes with these things.  Its just a tool that works sometimes.  Its not a magic bait that produces 5 fish casts everytime you throw it.   Double fluke rigs and drop shotting with a jig for a weight is also out.  How abou tbanning side imaging and map chips.  When in a couple hours you can pick apart structure and fish the high percentage fish holding areas.  Before that technology it took skill, a little imagination and a lot of time to find those areas. I would never say ban it. How about scent you apply to baits? Or better yet the hydrowave?  Now there is a good one.  A device you place in the water to turn fish on to feed through audio cues.  Thats ok but if you throw an a rig and  turn fish on through viual cues thats not right.  Its trolling, using live bait ect.  I wouldnt ban the hydrowave either but it may happen......  Bottom line it still takes skill and a little imagination to fish this correctly and in the right situation.  Sure average joe can get lucky with it.  He or she can get lucky with any bait.  Im off my soap box now

I didn't mean to come across that fishing an A-rig was like trolling...I meant that the ruling and thought processes could be along the same lines for the reasoning behind the ban....Trolling for bass is a perfectly legal way to fish for Bass in Michigan but it is banned in tournament bass fishing for various reasons.....

djkimmel

I think I will invent a fishy looking lure and call it the gill net! Thanks DD! That one could really sell big AND be banned in some tournaments! ;D

I don't know about the gashing hooked fish thing?? I mean, hooking them at all you can hook them in the tongue, the eye, the gills, along the outside of the body. I still believe this is more of a 'we're better' move than anything else. I've always thought those kinds of moves end up counterproductive. And I agree with people who are catching on to this and pointing out the 'where does it end?' kind of responses.

If they really want one angler, one lure, then they need to use only single arm/body lures with only one hook. Even considering KVD's comments. Crankbaits and jerkbaits hook fish on the outside ALL THE TIME. I'm not buying any of the stated reasons. They would have been much better off to just pick a '# of hooks' limit rather than risk cramping sales of a hot new lure in an already brutal tackle market that can definitely use an infusion of new sales.

I don't think the right people thought this through very well despite the stated process. They would hate me on that 'committee' because I would have immediately called for a similar ban on spinnerbaits and multiple hook hard baits if they actually meant what they were saying. I would probably have gone as far as suggesting a ban on the hydrowave and side imaging too. Ridiculous, right? That's my point.

Having been on many committees myself over the years as I'm sure many of you have too, sometimes committees just need something to do too. I'm sure FLW will not follow suit and I'm glad they won't. If I had spare time, I would spend it on enforcing the rules they already have for safety, sportsmanship, off limits, no information, etc. That would do more for the integrity and fairness of the sport than outlawing any particular artificial lure.

To me, banning a specific lure because it is 'too' effective is a lot like banning underwater video or fishfinders.

djkimmel

Quote from: blakstr1 on January 19, 2012, 08:24:31 AM
I bought one of the rigs as soon as they came out and am truly excited to try it....that being said at the show last weekend while attending the Q&A session with KVD...he made mention of something that really has me thinking.  He said while speaking of the A-Rig and the Guntersville tournament where it got all of the attention...that there was loads and loads of footage that BASS couldnt show with multiple fish being caught where the fish were getting tore up.  Sounded like gashes to the sides and similar to me, with that many hooks in a concentrated area and multiple fish fighting for them it is bound to happen.  Something i am sure BASS considered while making the decision to ban it from competition.

I'm confused by these comments because Guntersville was an FLW event that Kevin doesn't participate in?? I question that he had any in depth knowledge of FLW Outdoors footage?? All I saw on the show was one long infomercial for the Alabama Rig catching big bass after bass after bass, and only one angler having breakage problems. If I was a lure maker, I would kill for coverage like that of my new lure that has the market cornered at the beginning!!!

I've heard nothing about a bunch of bass being gashed. I really like Kevin a lot, but this sounds like a marketing campaign for the rule change not actual real world results - the fine print stuff. I know he is a hard supporter of B.A.S.S. and I understand why he does that.

I think this will end up making FLW Outdoors look better than B.A.S.S. in the end anyway. Sometimes, you can try to hard, but if they really have a majority of the Elite Series anglers who support that change, then that's what B.A.S.S. has to do. I understand that too.

djkimmel

Pretty strong ban vote. Stronger no ban vote so far. Interesting. Thanks for voting.

bob o

i bought one and can't wait to use it next season. would it be different if the jigs were soldered right to the wire making it one piece, we could even dunk it in a big vat of plastic and make it look like one big plastic bait with wire for reinforcement.

fish-on

blakstr1

Quote from: djkimmel on January 19, 2012, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: blakstr1 on January 19, 2012, 08:24:31 AM

I'm confused by these comments because Guntersville was an FLW event that Kevin doesn't participate in?? I question that he had any in depth knowledge of FLW Outdoors footage?? All I saw on the show was one long infomercial for the Alabama Rig catching big bass after bass after bass, and only one angler having breakage problems. If I was a lure maker, I would kill for coverage like that of my new lure that has the market cornered at the beginning!!!

I've heard nothing about a bunch of bass being gashed. I really like Kevin a lot, but this sounds like a marketing campaign for the rule change not actual real world results - the fine print stuff. I know he is a hard supporter of B.A.S.S. and I understand why he does that.

I think this will end up making FLW Outdoors look better than B.A.S.S. in the end anyway. Sometimes, you can try to hard, but if they really have a majority of the Elite Series anglers who support that change, then that's what B.A.S.S. has to do. I understand that too.

guess i did confuse things a bit....forgot that was indeed an FLW event.  I'm sure someone else here will read this that attended the Q&A and maybe can give a better report as to what Kevin said....what can i say i was thinking about getting some of the fried fish at the time  ;D  anyway i do remember him talking about how they had to be careful how they broadcasted the event because many of the fish were tore up...but at the end he did say "I will be throwing one" of course that was before the ban.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

dartag

What about the Hydro Wave.  Oh wait Kevin and Jeff Kriet own that company.  never mind

Jay-MadWags

For those of you who are going to fish the A-Rig on St. Clair, make sure you have a few of them.  I'm sure the Muskie will tear that thing apart.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Manxfishing

Quote from: Jay-MadWags on January 19, 2012, 07:33:33 PM
For those of you who are going to fish the A-Rig on St. Clair, make sure you have a few of them.  I'm sure the Muskie will tear that thing apart.

You know,
I've always thought it looked like a perfect pike magnet myself

But with 65# braid and a wire leader you should be able to land what ever hit's it.

Waterfoul

Quote from: Manxfishing on January 19, 2012, 09:02:43 PM
Quote from: Jay-MadWags on January 19, 2012, 07:33:33 PM

You know,
I've always thought it looked like a perfect pike magnet myself

But with 65# braid and a wire leader you should be able to land what ever hit's it.

A big pike or musky will bend and wreck an alabama rig for sure.  That's why I have two!  LOL!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!