Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:59:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

POLL: Should the Alabama Rig be banned in bass tournaments

Started by djkimmel, January 18, 2012, 03:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Alabama Rig be banned in bass tournaments?

Yes
30 (39%)
No
47 (61%)

Total Members Voted: 77

bigjc

I gotta agree w. Mike on this one...I see no reason to ban it

djkimmel

I see variations of the rig catching all kinds of big fish in all kinds of situations. I'm a little leery about the big muskie on St. Clair. They will probably eat the whole thing at once! Better have 3 maybe?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

FLW Outdoors president Kathy Fennel made it clear the Alabama Rig is legal in all FLW events this year - http://www.greatlakesbass.com/tournaments/index.php/2012/01/21/flw-outdoors-says-no-alabama-rig-ban

She says they've taken additional steps that sound good and reasonable to me - let each state fisheries people dictate what is legal to fish with for lures.

Today, FLW Outdoors printed two opposing opinions pieces by Jay Yelas and Dave Lefebre. I thought Jay Yelas did a great job of explaining how I feel about it. I only agreed a little with a couple of Dave Lefebre's many points.

Jay Yelas for: http://www.flwoutdoors.com/fishing-articles/blog/153217/alabama-rig-blog-innovation-cannot-be-stopped/

Dave Lefebre against: http://www.flwoutdoors.com/fishing-articles/blog/153216/alabama-rig-blog-one-rod-one-bait-one-legacy/

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

I listened to a pod cast by Rick Clunn today.  He said bass fishing was stagnent and not hing as new and exciting.  He is happy the A rig has brought some excitement to fishing.  His feeling are it will not change fishing forever.  He remembers when graph fish finder came around.  Everyone said they would ruin fishing and catch all the fish in the lake.

Lefebre  sure has put a lot of effort in downplaying it.

djkimmel

I sometimes think when people don't have a real strong standing in their argument, they take a lot longer to not get there. That's just me anyway. And I've been accused of that a 'few' times too.

bosshawg

let's give this rig a chance for us up in this part of the area before we go banning on tournaments..

sheesh, its just another fishing lure and its the fisherman that catch the fish.  we got a ton of people making knock-offs, another ton buying up, all we are saying is give the piece a chance.... ;D

btw - i hope u'all will post pics when the season is upon us what your catching on the a-rig. i believe that will be very interesting.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

robeng53

I'm with Yelas, Dan K., and dartag.  All good points.  And yes, the Hydrowave. 

stubbs4short

I say yes for a goofy reason but here it is when we get to the point of only needing 1 rig in the boat it does take some of the thought process out of the game, boring, with that said we all know how everyone adheres to the catch and release season ha! (st. clare right now) when the non tournament fisher people use it I personally think that non catch and release folks could devastate a fishery.
dont want to get beat up just an opinoin have a nice day all I think you all have good points!!

SethV

I am guessing those that say "ban it" have never actually tried it.

Last weekend we went down to Kentucky for a long weekend of fishing (since the Michigan ecconomy does not want our money).

We threw the a-rig as well as other stuff.  A-rig did catch fish, but we had much better results on other techniques.  It will be a tool, that will catch good fish at the right times, but it is not as simple as "chuck it out and catch 20 lbs every cast".

djkimmel

What SethV said!

And stubbs4short, glad you shared your opinion. No one should beat anyone up and usually almost all of us on here do a great job of that! Thanks! But remember, if someone disagrees with a particular point and states why, that is not getting beat up. That is just an opposing opinion. We can all use as many opinions as possible. It's what makes us think things through now... or maybe eventually anyway!

MSURoss

Quote from: stubbs4short on April 04, 2012, 08:15:23 AM
I say yes for a goofy reason but here it is when we get to the point of only needing 1 rig in the boat it does take some of the thought process out of the game, boring, with that said we all know how everyone adheres to the catch and release season ha! (st. clare right now) when the non tournament fisher people use it I personally think that non catch and release folks could devastate a fishery.
dont want to get beat up just an opinoin have a nice day all I think you all have good points!!

For those who are worried about "meat fisherman" devastating a fishery with the A-rig, I think we need to look more of technical aspects of the rig. After throwing the rig for a good amount of time, it totally changes your view on the "simplicity of the rig". For one, not all rods and reels are capable of throwing the rig. A baitcasting reel and a broomstick of a rod are almost needed to throw the 2.5+ oz bait. I only have 1/8oz heads and my 7'6" MH mojo is being pushed hard. Secondly, I think I would be hard to cast the rig if you weren't standing. Strong body posture is need to lob the rig effectively(the rig can be taxing to throw for a long period of time). You can't just flick it out there. More times then not when I come across meat bass fisherman, they are fishing out of an aluminum boat with their stringer hanging outside of the boat. I also tend to see the boat full of people with each person having a medium spinning rod in their hand, not 12 rods laying out of the deck of the boat with varying line size and length. Some might say you could just troll with it. Yes you could, but it would be to a degree of difficulty. Having 5 baits on at once still can get messy and the rig can tangled up. Those who don't have the rig or right tackle would also have to invest a good amount of money into the technique, which would detour some. Also after hours of fishing my neighbors private pond I have only caught 1 on the rig. There is no "magic bullet here"

Got Fish??

Well said! May I add. If I can tie,add, fasten or accumulate an Ora of lures. That are all on one line, and fish it.  I will vote no!

tociar

If Bass is worried about fish being hurt why dont they alow nets so fish wont be jerked up out of the water and dropped on dry carpet to flop around while the angler celebrates? I would have liked to seen them fish the A rig 1 full season before the ban , but that is there call.

djkimmel

My understanding is B.A.S.S. took out the nets to get more dramatic camera work for a longer time during the televised events? I'm not sure I could find someone to confirm that is the main reason. Seems like when it was done they said it would make things more sporting and challenging for the anglers?

It isn't the best thing to drop the bass on a dry carpet. It would probably be somewhat better for the bass to use the softer, rubber coated or non-snag nets to land them. I don't like the idea of all those sharp, strong hooks trying to snag me either.

Not sure how much it can hurt a bass with the hoist? Depends on the size of the bass and where it is hooked maybe? If you use the bass' momentum right, it might not be that bad, but I like the wet, soft net much better. The kind that is less likely to shred their fins too.

I'm still waiting to see more information and maybe my own results on how much the umbrella rigs snag or slash the bass caught on them. I've had a couple say it happens but haven't seen it yet. Didn't see it with the peacock bass. Maybe it doesn't happen anymore than with say, a crankbait or jerkbait?

Trux

I really think BASS was really worried about having a season where everyone only uses one bait. They make money selling advertising (in publications, articles, on TV, the web site, at the events, fantasy fishing), so do the pro anglers with sponsorships. If the pros ended up just using A-rigs all the time to be competitive, it would be very detrimental to their economic engine and to the pros economic futures too. They have a lot to lose if it turns out not to be another hot lure of the year.

Without really understanding the long term effectiveness or impact of the rig, it was less risky to ban it right away at the Elite level than to wait and see if it was just another fad lure. By not banning it in the Opens, BASS gets a chance to see if it turns out to be a fad or something else, and not risk the main source of their income.

customfishn

I voted yes.  I have many reasons but my biggest reason is I can see it being a game changer at the right time.  On that same note I have thrown it a bunch now and I might change my vote.  Its not going to be a lure that everyone throws all the time and its NOT the miracle bait that I once thought it was.  I'm not a small guy and I was tired of throwing it after 5 casts.  I think most guys are going to be the same way.  So like I said I really might change my vote,  I just want it to go away but It sure made for exciting forum topics on the off season.

Skulley

I vote yes to the A-rig being banned in bass tournaments because I think that using an Alabama Rig is cheating.  Plain and simple.  It's for people who can't catch a fish on one lure.  For the novice.  Not for people such as ourselves who are supposed to be "accomplished" in this sport.

BD                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Manxfishing

Quote from: UAWBigDog on April 15, 2012, 05:09:21 PM
I vote no because I think that using an Alabama Rig is cheating.  Plain and simple.  It's for people who can't catch a fish on one lure.  For the novice.  Not for people such as ourselves who are supposed to be "accomplished" in this sport.

Crazy?
But we all have our opinions

My thoughts are
It's a Tournament, the name of the game is to catch the 5 biggest bass
by any means that is legal on the waters. Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I myself see the elite series going backwards on this
People come to see or what to read about big bags

djkimmel

My thoughts are
fishing castable umbrella rigs is fun! I like fun fishing! I'm going to be 'testing' them a bunch this year! Looking forward to it!

File me under
not afraid of change ;D

customfishn

Quote from: UAWBigDog on April 15, 2012, 05:09:21 PM
I vote yes to the A-rig being banned in bass tournaments because I think that using an Alabama Rig is cheating.  Plain and simple.  It's for people who can't catch a fish on one lure.  For the novice.  Not for people such as ourselves who are supposed to be "accomplished" in this sport.

BD                   ;D
I wish this site had a like button.  To the point.