Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:31:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

POLL: Should the Alabama Rig be banned in bass tournaments

Started by djkimmel, January 18, 2012, 03:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Alabama Rig be banned in bass tournaments?

Yes
30 (39%)
No
47 (61%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Skulley

Quote from: Manxfishing on April 15, 2012, 06:13:49 PM
Quote from: UAWBigDog on April 15, 2012, 05:09:21 PM
I vote no because I think that using an Alabama Rig is cheating.  Plain and simple.  It's for people who can't catch a fish on one lure.  For the novice.  Not for people such as ourselves who are supposed to be "accomplished" in this sport.

Crazy?
But we all have our opinions

My thoughts are
It's a Tournament, the name of the game is to catch the 5 biggest bass
by any means that is legal on the waters. Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I myself see the elite series going backwards on this
People come to see or what to read about big bags

Is what I said really crazy???   ???     ???     I don't think so.  I definitely see your point.  They do want to see big bags.  I am no different.  I want to see quality fish.  More importantly I want to catch quality fish.  I am sure quality fish were caught in all the "As seen on T.V." lures too.......like the flying lure, banjo minnow, chatterbait, to name a few.  Who would have thought the chatterbait would have taken on the way it has.  What do all the gimmick lures have in common..............one hook.  This gimmick bait the Alabama Rig............five sometimes six hooks.  Now there are variations like the yumbrella.  WOW!!!  Legal or not, if it's got more than two hooks............it's cheating.  I use more than two because of the Bill Norman lure that you tied on the line of a top water.  I can't remember what that was called.  Also using a jig and pig for the weight of a drop shot rig.  Any more than that, it's cheating.  Right........just my opinion.  I won't be using the Alabama Rig in tournaments I fish.  I don't fish many tournaments but I won't be fishing the Alabama in that arena.  

Quote from: customfishn on April 16, 2012, 04:26:13 PM
Quote from: UAWBigDog on April 15, 2012, 05:09:21 PM
I vote yes to the A-rig being banned in bass tournaments because I think that using an Alabama Rig is cheating.  Plain and simple.  It's for people who can't catch a fish on one lure.  For the novice.  Not for people such as ourselves who are supposed to be "accomplished" in this sport.

BD                   ;D
I wish this site had a like button.  To the point.

Customfishn doesn't necessarily think I am so crazy.  Well, we're all a little crazy.  To the point.....absolutely.  Thanks for your support on that Custom.  

Remember now I am only talking about tournaments.  As I said earlier in the post, I won't be using it in a tournament legal or not because I think it's cheating and really doesn't show that I have skills to catch more and bigger bass.  Personally I want bigger.  Not more.  Some I know would rather catch many more 13 inch fish while I catch less fish but bigger fish only because they want to say, "I caught more fish than you."  I like to say back, "But I caught bigger fish than you."  But that's another topic somewhere here on the forum.  

Quote from: djkimmel on April 15, 2012, 08:36:54 PM
My thoughts are
fishing castable umbrella rigs is fun! I like fun fishing! I'm going to be 'testing' them a bunch this year! Looking forward to it!

File me under
not afraid of change ;D

Yes, I will be trying it for fun.  No one likes to have fun more than I.  You can call me Mr. Fun.  I think throwing them are going to be fun too.........especially the part where the fish bites and I catch it.  I have already made my own version of it and I will be trying it.  I am not afraid of change either, but I like to see good logical change. Not change just for the sake of change.  Change can be good and bad.  You try to work for good change.  Change has many faces.  

BD  aka Mr. Fun    :P                                                  ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dartag

As i have said before never has so much been said, written, money spent, sides taken for or against on something we have never used before.  I have been making them and casting them off my dock.  5 wires with 5 grubs or small minnows on a flipping rod with braid is something to cast.  you just kind of lob it out there and start reeling.  They sink pretty fast with the bigger baits.   Probably won't be much use until the bass are done bedding.  Looking forward to using them at Patoka lake in a couple weeks.   

bottom line is when you see them 5 baits come swimming at you it will make you smile... 

bassfan586

I used it late last fall.  Believe me i wasnt catchimg 5 at a time.  Hell its heavy to throw.  Maybe in the spring you might.  Its just a tool.  Hardly cheating in my opinion. What about kvd's gizmo that electronically simulates baitfish noise?  I forgot the name but isnt that cheating?  Whats the difference.  They are all tools that work in certin situations.  Not all the time.  Why are we not hearing about the southern bfl angles killing it with the a rig?  Or the bass opens?
Got one!

customfishn

After the A-rig calms down I will be making the next super lure.  Starting next year I'm making a lure with a hand grenade,  the back hook is tied to the pin so when the fish hits it pulls the pin.  Who wants one?

djkimmel

I might not use that one. I let most of my fish go... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MSURoss

Quote from: dartag on April 16, 2012, 07:33:43 PM
As i have said before never has so much been said, written, money spent, sides taken for or against on something we have never used before.  I have been making them and casting them off my dock.  5 wires with 5 grubs or small minnows on a flipping rod with braid is something to cast.  you just kind of lob it out there and start reeling.  They sink pretty fast with the bigger baits.   Probably won't be much use until the bass are done bedding.  Looking forward to using them at Patoka lake in a couple weeks.  

bottom line is when you see them 5 baits come swimming at you it will make you smile...  

Exactly people getting upset and haven't even thrown the rig!

Skulley

I don't see where anyone is "upset" here. We are just discussing a new technique, tool, whatever you would like to call the A-rig using what rational thought each of us can muster. I think this is great dialogue and I am happy to see so many different opinions and thoughts on the subject. Just people exercising their 1st Amendment rights.

BD.                                      ;D 

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

MSURoss

dartag

Maybe upset is not the proper wording.  For someone to say using one in a tourney is cheating when the state says it is legal is there opinion.   I will have one rigged all summer unless it is banned.  

Good thing is it is almost time to get off the Internet and go fishing

Got Fish??

I guess we can debate until the cows come home. One thing is true . It is all up to B.A.S.S., In determining whether it is cheatting or not. I personally think it is not acceptable in tournaments. As far as throwing it for fun? I guess if dragging your Angkor rope with a gill net is fun, and you have a licence to do so. Go for it.

djkimmel

I really don't understand why anyone would think another new, exciting technique is cheating or unsportsmanlike just because it catches fish real when used at the right time in the right place like any other good technique?

It's not magic. It's not a net. It won't snag bass that don't try to bite or follow it. Good anglers will catch more bass with it and bad anglers will still probably not catch more bass with it. Like any other technique.

B.A.S.S. only said you can't use it in the Elite Series and the Classic. You can still use it in the Federation events and all the B.A.S.S. Opens. They didn't say it was cheating either. They just made a ruling on how many lures and angler can use at one time in their upper level events.

I wonder if there was anywhere near this much debate and even furor when the first striper angler thought of this rig and started trolling with it?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

After the umbrella rig it won't matter if you use an anchor and a gill net...............that may as well be legal too.     :o

BD                   ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dartag

since they passed the new fireworks law the M-80 rig will be the next big thing.  

I think Dan needs a contest of best photo of A-rig fish caught Saturday.  I will donate 5 jigs for the prize package.

Can't wait to throw that thing Tuesday morning on Patoka

djkimmel