Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Smallie fishing is hot!!

Started by Waterfoul, October 25, 2011, 04:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Just spent 3 1/2 days fishing northern lakeshore area lakes with my good friend Ed Dyer.  To say we caught a few fish would be a gross understatement.  The one exception would be Lower Herring Lake where the bass fishing was going very slowly until we happened into the outlet creek that flows into Lake Michigan.  There we found these strange looking fish that seemed inclined to hit a crank bait.  Wierdest looking bass I've ever seen.

We did very well on Pere Marquette and Manistee lakes as well.  Ed managed a new personal best 6 lb 4 oz smallmouth bass.  A tick over 21" long with a massive 16" girth.  Now that's a TOAD!!!  My two best fish went 4-06 and 4-12, both from Manistee.  Most of our fish were in the 2-3 lb range with many in the 3-4 lb area as well.  Very few smaller fish. 

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

FishermanJohn

Those are some nice looking smallies!  I dunno about that long silver one, though...  ;D  Manistee Lake sure has some big smallies and plenty of structure to find them on.

thedude

great fish. now is definitely the time to be out. i've caught my top two MI LM bass (ever) in the last 2 weeks. the 5-10 was probably a 4-8 6 weeks ago!

they got the feed bags on!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Think I might try to get up that way again on Sunday...  need to put a few more fish in the boat this year.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

Nice fish.  I have been catching them like crazy on Muskegon lately, but none that big.  They are starting to get bigger, though.  I started throwing chunkier baits tonight, and noticed that my fish were better quality.  They were also loving the lipless cranks tonight.

bigmojet

Arcadia Lake gave up a 5, 2.5 and a 2 in the last hour and a half of light tonight.

Firefighter Jeff

Nice job Mike and Ed.  Thanks for posting the pictures on FB.  It's a trip I'm sure you'll remember a long time.

Hey Mike, skip work Monday and Tuesday and we'll go together !!!  :)

edyer

I agree with Mike that the fishing was fantastic. I caught a 4-7 on Pere Marquette, a 4-11 on Arcadia, a 4-7, 5-9, and the 6-4 Mike posted the picture of on Manistee. It's not "Automatic Fishing" by any means. It took us a while on both Arcadia(The Channel bite was non-existent), and Manistee before we found the better schools of fish. We were getting ready to leave Manistee on Monday when we tried "one more spot" and then stayed on that spot for about four hours. Be prepared to lose a lot of jigs if you like fishing tubes. Mike was Texas rigging plastics and doing pretty good on numbers,so I switched over after getting a snag on every cast on Manistee. The big girl didn't seem to mind the switch up, but I did catch the four other fish over 4 pounds on tubes.

bigmojet

I fish Arcadia a lot since its only 5 minutes from my house. The channel bite comes and goes quickly especially when the current going through there changes directions.

Waterfoul

Bigmojet.... too bad we didn't know you lived right there... you could have joined us for a time while we were up there.  Always looking to meet up and fish with new friends!

Jeff... I don't work on Monday... we should fish then!!!

bigmojet

Waterfoul, I have a 18' camo War Eagle with a 60 HP  yamaha. If you see me out there please stop and say hello. If I'm fishing alone I usually  will have my black lab with me.

Sometimes I'll walk around and fish off the marina docks this time of year if time is short.

Waterfoul

Well it's looking like I'll be on Manistee Lake Sunday morning if the weather permits.  Black and silver 18' Triton with a 150 Merc.  It usually says "West Marine" on both sides... but I had to get new graphics a week or so ago and haven't had a chance to put the new ones on yet.  If you are around...

Mike

thedude

bigmojet - i think we saw you on arcadia like 3 weeks ago in the evening maybe.....? we were in a white javelin.
Palehorse Custom Rods

bigmojet

Dude, probably was me. Was that the evening the salmon were pretty frisky jumping all over.the place? Felt like those  eurasion carp videos of them jumping in the boat.

thedude

i don't remember any salmon jumping (could have been). it had to have been oct 8th. we pulled in about 4pm and passed a boat like yours with 2 guys in it bass fishing on our way out toward the piers.
Palehorse Custom Rods

bigmojet

Dude, yes I remember that evening. We only picked up a few bass and some nice pike. I have a few chores around the house and gonna hit it later this morning or early afternoon.

thedude

it was slow for us too, but the last 2hrs of daylight were pretty stellar in the piers. we were using Xtreme muskegon goby tubes and the color seemed to make a difference. not as many bites on GP or perch
Palehorse Custom Rods