Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Frogs only? bob o's Lake Ovid event

Started by bob o, April 03, 2011, 05:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Durand Dan

Well, I'll bring the boat and also some plates, plasticware and napkins, What am I doing up at 3:15am???? ???
DD

Frank

I'm up too. Just got off work. Going to get ready

djkimmel

I hope you all figured out a way to get in some fun today! Feel real bad I couldn't make it. Been under the weather for a day and a half. Feeling better now. I was thinking about all of you as the storms rolled through. I tried to wish them further South. Don't know if it worked at all?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Frank

It rained so hard our fish got wet....

Bob O,
Great idea, great time, and great tournament.  I think we all had a blast.  We're in for next year.

We learned something about frog fishing today.  I've always been able to miss fish on a frog and nail them with a worm, never a problem.  It turns out that a good follow up bait to a frog is not another frog, lol.  I've never been forced to make that decision before.  Very interesting fishing.

For those of you with little boats like me,
You only need frogs, hooks, and poles.  There is actually room to walk in my boat.  It also weighed about a hundred pounds less than normal.

Who burnt the potatoes??? LOL

Frank

dartag

so how was the fishing.  any big ones.  after spending 8 hours on lake orion I think I should have went frog fishing with you guys.

MSURoss

The day was pretty tough for Bob-o and I. Could only get a few bites and all four we caught were 13.5in, but on the last cast Bob-o landed a 5lb brute!! I'm sure the pic will be up sometime later. It took 11 and change to win it... weights would've been higher if it didn't storm for 4 hours

djkimmel

A 5-pounder from any small inland lake is a great trophy. Catching it on a frog makes it that much more awesome! 11 pounds is not bad considering it was frogs only and you had all that weather. Not the best weather for frog fishing. I hope you all had some fun. I was really looking forward to this day and hope it happens again next year.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LAPORTE

Well Im just in from Vacation ..... Who won the big frog tourney, Results ?????
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

bob o

the fish 5.4lbs

the trophy and the cash and the bait i caught it on

oh, and the bottle of Ezra was Mad Wags that Mojo brought along for a toast, that bottle will be at the next Frog thing next year too.

we could have done without the rain but a bit of rain is better that 95 degree heat IMO. after the weigh in we gathered at the campsite and ate hotdogs, polish brats, burgers, poatoes (they were great) pasta salad, brownies (no not the little girl kind) and had a great time.

when i first started post i had no idea that it would turn into a tourny of any kind i just wanted to fish with my friends do some froging. as it turned out that's just what happened  ;D and i got big fish to boot.
i'm sure more fish would have been caught if we were tossing spinnerbaits, cranks, tubes etc, but the just frog thing worked pretty good.
i learned a few things about fishing frogs too, which is always a good thing.

see ya all next year, same date, same lake, same time 7ish til 2:30 no changes, just frogs.

djkimmel

If you're only going to catch one keeper on a frog, that's the one to catch!

mikesmiph

Veronica and I had a blast for a while. We brought rain gear, if anyone has facebook, I posted a picture of my little trooper in the downpour. When the lightening got too close we headed to shore. I treat lightening on the water the same as I do on the golf course. I respect it. We waited for it to stop, talking to several of the smart ones. The rain started to let up a bit, but there was more lightening to the west. Neither of us wanted to leave, I just wont take those kinds of chances with her on board. By the time we got to Owosso, it almost looked like it was going to clear up. We talked about going back, but decided against it. We will certainly be back next year. Congrats to the winners and to Bob on that beauty. It was a great idea.

djkimmel

Mike - I don't fish with lightning anywhere around either. Especially with precious cargo aboard. Good call.

So who actually won with total weight? Need to know who all the top competition for next year is!

Jay-MadWags

Hey Dan, Mojo has all the information.  He was the one who collected all the $.  Vince and I finished in second place.  We managed to catch a limit even with the hour and a half wait that we took at the ramp while the storms and lightning passed through.  I still can't believe teams stayed out on the lake and fished with the lightning.  I rerally had a great time.  Can't wait for next year!
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

bosshawg

thanks bob-o & mojo for puttin' on "el froggy" tournament. we enjoyed this..  missed alot on top for sure & our measely 2 couldn't even beat bob-o's big un'. but a blast.

thanks for the food & drinks afterwards.  the wive's even had a good time & enjoyed your company.  hope to be back for it next year.

dave
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

Mojo

We had 6.5 boats for the tournament (Thought it was unfair to collect $40 from Mike S whose lil buddy doesnt even have a tax id yet lol ), We gathered at 6:45 for a team meeting. Showed good examples of exactly what constitutes a frog, and what does not.. That was funny . We had a Frog Mascot in costume, and have the makings of the Froggin 2011 Big Bass traveler trophy. Launch was at 7 am, and the blow ups commenced at 7:05.

Overcast skies came in around 8:30 and it got dark around 9. This really pushed the fish down it seemed, and the rain came like an over head faucet. While Bill and I took refuge on the island, most found the launch, and a few found pockets of coves. Lightning removed all illusion that this was fun fishing. We stepped into survival mode. When the storm passed, lightning still struck until 12 noon, with a cold front of 15 mph winds that really put the conditions in our favor for froggin .. not. This pushed all the slop and exposed only weed tops. Finally the wind cleared and the sun pipped up right as we all were coming to the launch. At 2:25, we thought the park had begun a bull riding session, cause we all heard someone whoopin and yelling and yeehawwing ........ or did someone just win on a Last Cast deal ? !!

Results:

Frank and Brandon 5 fish:   11.16  with a 4.11 lb kicker.
Jay and Vince        5 fish:   10.24
Bob aka bull rider   1 fish:   5.04 lb !!!

Our collecting winners  :  Frank and Brandon 1st, Jay and Vince 2nd
Bass winners              :  Bob O 1st and Brandon 2nd

I want to thank those who braved the weather, regardless of the doppler radar reading, regardless of how snuggly their beds were in Lansing (  ::)  ) , those who brought in food or any side dish, and thank Bob O for letting us use his campsite for the picnic !!!! Next year, we look to shorten to 6 hrs aand hold off on pre-fishing cause this was a fun event, and we want to keep the spirit of the event alive..... plus have more time for stories and grub !!

Mojo
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

That sounds good. Glad no one was struck by lightning. Any pictures of the 'mascot.'

Frank

My vote for next year:  Keep it the same

Keep this in mind, if you make it start later I will fall asleep and not make it.  If I'm already there, I want to fish as long as I can.  If some don't like 8 hours and therefore it must be shortened, lets have a $5 or $10 mini afterwords.  Maybe same lake with any lure.

But...
I liked it just the way it was.  it was a blast.  If I get more free time next year I'll stay the night too. 

Frank

djkimmel

Of all times... I will be there next year for sure one way or the other!

Jay-MadWags

Quote from: djkimmel on August 15, 2011, 09:03:53 PM
Of all times... I will be there next year for sure one way or the other!

Well you have a whole year to change your mind.
LOL
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Mojo

He probably wrote it from his I Pad under the covers  while sipping hot cocoa during the storm ...
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan