Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:21:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Blade baits

Started by YpsiBass, August 14, 2011, 11:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YpsiBass

Anyone have any luck fishing these in the late summer/fall?  Anyone have a favorite brand or size/weight?  Just picked up a couple Damiki Vaults to try in the Thursday Belleville tournament.  Smaller profile than a spoon I figured it would be worth a shot.

djkimmel

I really like blade baits. Won two tournaments in the fall using only blade baits on Cass Lake back when I still fished tournaments somewhat regularly. They work anytime of the year but are most deadly in the cold water seasons when fish are more bunched up deeper. Other lures are more efficient usually in the warm water.

Did you see our video of Scott Dobson on Lake St. Clair in November? He does a pretty good live seminar on blade baits in that video and we really whacked a bunch of them that day. I caught my biggest smallmouth bass ever on a blade bait - about 5 /12 pounds - earlier that same week on St. Clair. Check out the video on www.greatlakesbass.tv - Smallmouth in the Fall.

I usually get my butt kicked when I'm with a real blade expert like Dobson, BryanP, Brian Spear and some other really good blade bait anglers. Still, I've caught lots of bass and other fish on blade baits in the spring and especially in the fall as late as December up in our North country in waters down into the 30's. I've caught fish in quite a few states and Canada on them mostly in the spring and fall. I've messed with them in the summer but other lures usually work better. Blade baits are actually one of my top 3 or 4 confidence baits for bass in real cold water.

I have used several brands and they all seem to work. A friend makes some customized homemade models I use a lot now because I have a bunch of them. I mostly use 1/2 oz but I probably should try other sizes once in a while. I mostly stick to silver though I've had a few good days in the past on white and on chartreuse. I should probably experiment more with that too though most of the experts I see use silver a lot.

I've seen bass caught on just about all of them but some do seem more consistent. Scott Dobson mentions the Poor Boys blade baits and I know a number of the really good blade bait anglers use them. Another one I know is real popular with Great Lakes blade bait experts is the VIB"E". GreatLakesBass.com sponsor MikesRxBaits.com sells that one in a number of good colors along with the ever popular silver and gold.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

Thanks for the video tip.  Completely forgot those were there.

edit: Well, I've wanted to fish LSC for a while now, but that video made it like 100x worse. Now I really, REALLY want to hitch a ride in someone's boat.  Crazy.

cameraguy

Quote from: djkimmel on August 15, 2011, 03:38:48 PM
...Did you see our video of Scott Dobson on Lake St. Clair in November? He does a pretty good live seminar on blade baits in that video and we really whacked a bunch of them that day. I caught my biggest smallmouth bass ever on a blade bait - about 5 /12 pounds - earlier that same week on St. Clair. Check out the video on www.greatlakesbass.tv - Smallmouth in the Fall.

Plus, you get to see Dan's big smallie in that video. He caught it while I was putting away my video gear. The camera was already in it's bag. I had to power back up to record Dan landing that blade bait smallmouth. Good thing I did or I would probably have gotten tossed in the drink.

Mike Martin

Quote from: Ellipsis on August 15, 2011, 05:28:10 PM
Thanks for the video tip.  Completely forgot those were there.

edit: Well, I've wanted to fish LSC for a while now, but that video made it like 100x worse. Now I really, REALLY want to hitch a ride in someone's boat.  Crazy.

comming during the summer...its less addicting, spring or fall...you just wont wanna leave

YpsiBass

Yeah there were a lot of jaw dropping moments from that video.  Would actually have a chance at a master angler fish there.

djkimmel

It was so good at times that day it was stupid! That was Thursday. We fished a lot closer to the ramp Tuesday late afternoon / evening and still caught over a dozen to 15 bass with 3 toads and all nice ones. We are so spoiled in the Great Lakes region. Thank goodness!

That week was the best blade baiting for numbers and size I've ever had but blades have saved me on many a late season trip for largemouth and smallmouth bass!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I got some old Silver Buddies and Cicadas.  They work great in the early spring and late fall when the water drops below 50 degrees.  I also use them in the summer when jigging in the deep river channels right over the top of structure.  The fish nail them. 

BD                             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com