Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2010 Dk Open Report.

Started by dartag, May 15, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

Thanks Wags, it was a great time fishing with you, and even though we left biting fish, we left numbers and looked for that kicker we desperately needed.  I would have done the same thing.  I wish we could have found some cleaner water, but so does everyone that was out there!!  I don't really care where we go, Paw Paw can be tough, White can be tough, Muskegon can be tough, etc...  But, how many of the guys that drove over to St. Clair only caught a few fish??  More than 1 or 2, I know that.  Every place has it's off day.  We fished a tourney on Muskegon a year or so ago and ran to White with a few other boats, all the top weights came from White.  Any given day boys.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

MadWags

Well I guess you guys that fish that area would know. If that is the best option than so be it.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

I'm afraid going as far north as Ludington (or more) will make many more people not want to come if they can only come that day. You can't compare the draw of fishing St. Clair in the spring for anglers to very many other places. It's not going to be fair.

But we can only fish the east once per year. I have promised to hold 1 east and 1 west so the next one is west.

I want to make sure any member is able to fish the event due to the real purpose, as FF Jeff expressed very well, not just the more hardcore anglers. I love seeing the kids there. The new members. The members who have never fished a tournament before. We had all that Saturday.

White Lake is a very good fishery that is very popular with many anglers. I don't believe it is a real complicated lake to fish as some lakes on the west side can be. Not too big. Not too small. Nice boat ramp. Pretty safe.

I thought for an off day like we had last fall there - like we had Saturday on St. Clair too - that the weigh in last fall was still pretty good. Pretty much everyone caught keepers with many limits. The only other lake over there I think would be similar might be Mona, but the fishing is generally easier and more consistent on White for most anglers.

A northern tournament might be cool, but I do believe it would be mostly the more hardcore anglers only who would make the trip and they are the ones more likely to have fall classics, regionals and other events conflicting that time of year going into deer hunting in October too. So many end up not fishing the event anyway since the other events mean more to them at that time, which I understand having been a hardcore myself.

It's much more difficult for myself even to get up way north. Too much of a trip most of the time for me to do in one day. I'm limited too on how many weekends I can make a multi-day trip of it.

I appreciate the interest and suggestions, but I really want to keep this fairly simple as a fun, get-to-know event for many reasons. As long as 20 or more members want to do that I will continue to hold them. Two a year. One east and one west.

The west side polls we've done have been pretty spread out showing White as one of the leading lakes pretty consistently so it seems simpler to me just to pick it and then set it all up for members and family to enjoy. If most people say they will not go to White for some reason, then maybe we have to look for another lake, but it appears many of you will go to White if that is where it is. Is that okay?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

1javelin

White really is one of the best options here.  You probably won't get the 20+ bags you could get on St. Clair, but it's still a good time.  I'm down for whatever you have going, my boat should be running by then, I hope.

1jav

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: 1javelin on May 19, 2010, 06:48:37 PM
White really is one of the best options here.  You probably won't get the 20+ bags you could get on St. Clair, but it's still a good time.  I'm down for whatever you have going, my boat should be running by then, I hope.

1jav

I sure hope your boat is ready by then Herman.  Tcook needs another option for getting out fishing.  lololol  Besides, the guys here at the fire station jokingly warn people if they fish with me, not to catch more, or I won't ask them back.  Well, after Tim's 7.4 .................................. He's OUT  !!!!!!   Cut list Tim !!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D   jk jk

dartag

"  Megan Fox, Sacked "
"  Michael Bay will not cast her in 'Transformers 3'  "

Maybe UAWBIGDOG can get her to attend the fall DK Open...

djkimmel

Oh boy! Don't get him going again...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

I was looking over last years White lake results and, I may be wrong but, I think Jason and I may have been the only members to drive from the east side. Thinking back I may have only missed one DK Open. ;D The west side guys should have their tournament on the lake that they think is the best.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

1javelin

Quote from: MadWags on May 19, 2010, 10:04:43 PM
I was looking over last years White lake results and, I may be wrong but, I think Jason and I may have been the only members to drive from the east side. Thinking back I may have only missed one DK Open. ;D The west side guys should have their tournament on the lake that they think is the best.
Glad you guys could come, everyone rides us hard about not coming over there for the open and then the 2 of you are the only ones to show over here.  No Skip, really?  Bet if we have it on the Grand he'll come! ;D ;D  As for the best lake over here, that's easy:  Ask KVD where he goes to catch them good close to home!!

1jav

djkimmel

Where? Gun Lake? Gull Lake? Austin? Don't know.

Hey Wags, I count as an east side guy, don't I? I count as a west side guy too!

I love to fish. I don't mind driving over to White Lake. It's a fun lake. As long as I'm not in a BFL.

mikesmiph

White lake sounds fine to me. I'll go wherever. You name it, I'm there. With my little tag-a-long.

thedude

Quote from: 1javelin on May 19, 2010, 10:07:02 PM
  Ask KVD where he goes to catch them good close to home!!

1jav

you mean templene? ooops i've already said too much!!!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

motocross269

White Lake used to be awesome....I fished it quite a bit back in the Redman days when we used to launch in Muskegon...

I fished it a couple of years ago during a BFL and we didn't set the world on fire...I caught a LM burning spinnerbaits over the weeds..

The potential is there though and it would be my choice for a far westside lake....

I like Sanford and Wixom also they are more central but the westside guys deserve to have their say in what lake is fished in the Fall....

If things work out with my schedule I will be there....

1javelin

Quote from: thedude on May 19, 2010, 11:16:33 PM
Quote from: 1javelin on May 19, 2010, 10:07:02 PM
  Ask KVD where he goes to catch them good close to home!!

1jav

you mean templene? ooops i've already said too much!!!
Did Wags delete the post or what?  Don't you have the hookup there Justin?  Come on, it's for a good cause!!

1jav

djkimmel

I really enjoyed fishing Templene but the boat ramp situation is not good for an organized event. Long ways from my house so between the two I haven't been there is so many, many years.

That is where I saw the Amish guys launching the horse-drawn boat trailer. Wish I had that on video :)

mikesmiph

Me too, that would be something to see. Where is that Cameraguy when you really need him? LOL

bob o

Quote from: djkimmel on May 20, 2010, 01:03:15 PM
I really enjoyed fishing Templene but the boat ramp situation is not good for an organized event. Long ways from my house so between the two I haven't been there is so many, many years.

That is where I saw the Amish guys launching the horse-drawn boat trailer. Wish I had that on video :)

soo how many horses does it take to tow a ranger w/250xs ?

Mike S.

I was on White last night with Bassin Bero, and there were some pigs on the beds.  Hungry ones!  If I'm correct, last year's DK Open on White was the day after Don Watts cleaned house in the classic.  All of the lakes are beat to death by the end of September.

thedude

Quote from: djkimmel on May 20, 2010, 01:03:15 PM

thats why you need a key to the private launch.

did i mention i have a key to the private launch?

someone was telling me at the open they are going to put a county owned ramp there.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

The question I have...is what does it take to get more East side guys to come over here and fish????  Leave your boats at home, car pool and come fish with us!  If nothing else you will have fun.  Ask Dartag....we had a riot fishing last Saturday and only caught 10 fish but we laughed our butts off the entire time.  Mikeszr800 and I had a good time last year.  The fishing was tough but we had fun and will fish together again. 

I have made some great friends through GLB and continue to do so, but you will never have the chance if you don't get out there and meet them.  I think all of you that don't participate in these events or other events are missing out on a great thing.  I love to bass fish, I love to tournament fish and I love to talk fishing with people.  We all have that in common here and it is a great thing.

Cy

Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net