Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2010 Dk Open Report.

Started by dartag, May 15, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

I dont care what I have to do, I'll be there. I wont ever miss one.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Cy on May 21, 2010, 10:28:54 AM
The question I have...is what does it take to get more East side guys to come over here and fish????  Leave your boats at home, car pool and come fish with us!  If nothing else you will have fun.  Ask Dartag....we had a riot fishing last Saturday and only caught 10 fish but we laughed our butts off the entire time.  Mikeszr800 and I had a good time last year.  The fishing was tough but we had fun and will fish together again. 

I have made some great friends through GLB and continue to do so, but you will never have the chance if you don't get out there and meet them.  I think all of you that don't participate in these events or other events are missing out on a great thing.  I love to bass fish, I love to tournament fish and I love to talk fishing with people.  We all have that in common here and it is a great thing.

Cy

Well said Cy  !!!

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: mikeszr800 on May 20, 2010, 08:58:54 PM
I was on White last night with Bassin Bero, and there were some pigs on the beds.  Hungry ones!  If I'm correct, last year's DK Open on White was the day after Don Watts cleaned house in the classic.  All of the lakes are beat to death by the end of September.

Ok Mike, where are the pictures or report????

Team houston

Refresh my memory on the DK east open date. If not on top of any tournys I will consider it.

Team houston

thedude

don't think there is a date yet - but its usually mid/late sept.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

I have to pick the date yet. Much tougher to get a date that half the people can make that time of year. I'll pick the date within the next two to three weeks.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: thedude on May 21, 2010, 08:38:12 AM
Quote from: djkimmel on May 20, 2010, 01:03:15 PM
I really enjoyed fishing Templene but the boat ramp situation is not good for an organized event. Long ways from my house so between the two I haven't been there is so many, many years.

That is where I saw the Amish guys launching the horse-drawn boat trailer. Wish I had that on video :)

thats why you need a key to the private launch.

did i mention i have a key to the private launch?

someone was telling me at the open they are going to put a county owned ramp there.

So I know who to call if I want to give the lake a try again... I remember seeing several people get stuck at the other 'ramp' when I was there.

I've been hearing rumors about a new ramp there for quite a long time, but seeing nothing concrete at all (no pun intended). Like most likes, I imagine the locals don't want a public ramp on 'their' lake. Do you know anything more specific than they would like to put a ramp on the lake?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Hey Dan,  I'm not sure I really want to see this, but have you posted ALL the finall results of the DK Open???? 

Mike S.

Quote from: FF Jeff on May 21, 2010, 12:44:10 PM
Quote from: mikeszr800 on May 20, 2010, 08:58:54 PM
I was on White last night with Bassin Bero, and there were some pigs on the beds.  Hungry ones!  If I'm correct, last year's DK Open on White was the day after Don Watts cleaned house in the classic.  All of the lakes are beat to death by the end of September.

Ok Mike, where are the pictures or report????
Didn't get to take any pics, because i was too busy crying because he was kicking my butt.  There's really not much to report.  They were on beds, shallow, and would hit anything that was put in front of them.  There are some big fish in White lake.  Next time, I will take pictures.  Sorry, hard to use a camera with tears in your eyes.

Mike S.

The question I have...is what does it take to get more East side guys to come over here and fish????  Leave your boats at home, car pool and come fish with us!  If nothing else you will have fun.  Ask Dartag....we had a riot fishing last Saturday and only caught 10 fish but we laughed our butts off the entire time.  Mikeszr800 and I had a good time last year.  The fishing was tough but we had fun and will fish together again. 

I have made some great friends through GLB and continue to do so, but you will never have the chance if you don't get out there and meet them.  I think all of you that don't participate in these events or other events are missing out on a great thing.  I love to bass fish, I love to tournament fish and I love to talk fishing with people.  We all have that in common here and it is a great thing.

Cy

Right on, Cy.  I have thoroughly enjoyed both of the DK Opens I have attended.  I've met several people, and enjoyed my conversations with all.  DK Opens are more about fishing and friendships than winning and prizes.

Revtro

I'm not really sure why this is so.  I've been willing to travel out to Lansing, but as an Eastsider, I'm not sure I'd want to drive 3 hours for a West side DK.  And strangely enough, I'm asking myself why that is???  If I'm totally honest about it, I guess it's possibly because I have a world class fishery 5 minutes away from my house and on any given Saturday, I'd rather be there. 

But then again, I really do like hanging out with GLBrs and really enjoy the DKs.  Hmmm.  Now ya got me thinking.  I think the reason it's different for East/West siders could be that a lot of Westsiders look very much forward to fishing such an amazing fishery as St. Clair, while a lot of Eastsiders don't necessarily dream of fishing Ovid or White etc.  I'm not saying I know for sure that this is true, I'm just speculating. 

So what can we do to get more Eastsiders to a West side DK?  I honestly do not know.  Perhaps a higher entry fee so that there is more of a tourney-level payout.  Or maybe keep it in the Lansing area rather than so far away that we'd have to drive 3 hours.  I'm really not sure.  All I know for sure is that many of the West side guys I talked to were excited to fish St. Clair, so I think the fishery is a big part of the draw regardless of how much we all love fishing with and meeting fellow GLBrs.  Just some random thoughts on the topic. :)
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Cheetam

Capt. Charlie and I chatted briefly about heading over to the Fall Open.  I guess it depends a lot on the date.  We'd more than likely do an overnight deal, so a cheap hotel nearby would be a plus.  Heck, maybe make it a couple nights and scout the lake the day before.
Jeff

Durand Dan

Gun lake has Smallmouth and Largemouth. If you launch out of Yankee Springs State Park you have all the room you need and grills!

dartag

hey Dan  ever fish Lake Lansing.  i windsurfed there a long time ago.  I remember it was a pretty big lake. 

thedude

Quote from: Durand Dan on May 21, 2010, 05:43:15 PM
Gun lake has Smallmouth and Largemouth. If you launch out of Yankee Springs State Park you have all the room you need and grills!

i dunno - gun lake in sept might make it so none of the east siders EVER come back :)

i don't know why i'm chiming in though.. i'll be in canada sept 18th for 10 days.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Quote from: dartag on May 21, 2010, 07:52:48 PM
hey Dan  ever fish Lake Lansing.  i windsurfed there a long time ago.  I remember it was a pretty big lake. 

Lake Lansing is about 400 acres. Not that big. Not quite as much fishable water as Ovid, but close since it is just a flooded swamp. Boat traffic would be down some that time of year compared to the madhouse of pure summer - remember, Lansing is the desert of Michigan so Lake Lansing gets almost all the boating traffic. I don't enjoy fishing there outside of early spring and fall.

The main issue with Lake Lansing though probably would be the $1,000,000 liability policy they require to hold a tournament there. At least the last I knew they were requiring some crazy thing like that.

Regardless, the fall event is a west side event and I will hold it on the west side as long as I can get about 20 people or more to fish it. I think the west side can stand on its own though I always hope to have as many of you as possible show up and enjoy the event.

The purpose is to hold an event for members to get together, not to create another lucrative bass tournament. There's already plenty of those out there without adding any more.

motocross269

The only thing I ever remember fishing for on Lake Lansing were MSU College girls 20 years or so ago......Those were the days... ;D

marya

Cy

What about an East side gal?::)

djkimmel

East. West. Boy. Girl. All the same to me.

Plus! If you fish marya, I have someone who can keep me awake driving over in the morning!!! :o