Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2010 Dk Open Report.

Started by dartag, May 15, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

Most of the west side crowd are probably still on the road home.    Had a great day fishing with CY.  His first day on SC started slow at Ford cove.  I managed to lose a nice largemouth right away.   we caught a few then headed up the shore to 9 mile.  We caught some nice ones by the Green can in front of nine mile tower.  We hit a spot out deep with nothing there.  Then headed in to Memorial park where Cy put on a crankbait clinic.  He put some nice ones in the boat.      We ended up with 10 keepers for the day.  Cy landed a nice walleye on a tube.  We finished the day fishing largemouth by the launch..  Got a couple rock bass and one nice largie.  Great day on the water with lots of laughs.  Clean water would have been nice but all in all it was a great day on the water.

Thanks Dan for putting the event on.

Shot a couple of photos.  Had to show off his new shirt.

1javelin

Who's the guy with the bird crap on the back of his shirt??  Good job Cy, just throwing a jab out there.  See you soon.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

thedude

our fish came on the same basic pattern - 3-5 FOW on a flat w/ scattered rock/weeds. Fish weren't holding on anything particular just had to make long casts and cover water. pretty much everything was on a red-eye shad. got 1 on a jerkbait and a crank. all males biggest was just under 4 (according to the board).  had 3 fish hit right at the boat, think they had a hard time finding the bait in the dirty water.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Revtro

Well I'll echo most of the same sentiments.  Dan, thanks!  It was and continues to be my favorite tourney of the year to fish.  Yes, the fishing was tough.  We covered quite a bit of water, but I never got smart enough apparently to fish shallower than 7 ft.  But I had a great partner for the day and really enjoyed meeting and getting to know him.  I wish I could have stayed for the food, but unfortunately I had a ton of work I had to get finished, so I had to immediately get home to get to it.  :(  As of now, I'm planning to be at Ovid.  I love that lake and look forward to it.  Sorry I couldn't hang out and get to know more of the GLB peeps.  But there's always next time.  If anyone ever wants to get out on St. Clair, I'm only 10 minutes from the ramp and would be happy to take anyone out, just about any day.  Just give me a shout.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: 1javelin on May 15, 2010, 10:33:33 PM
Who's the guy with the bird crap on the back of his shirt??  Good job Cy, just throwing a jab out there.  See you soon.

1jav

LMAO    I was wondering what the heck that was on his shirt!!!!

Firefighter Jeff

I fished with Brett from the Michigan State fishing team....  I didn't hold that against him, considering I'm a Notre Dame fan.  lol  Well, we stunk, errr I did as a guide anyway.  We hit a few spots Tcook and I had fished the day before and didn't do too well.  Bunch of short fish actually.  Guess we were too far in at 9 mile from the reports I've seen.  We ran down to Grosse Point flats to see if the water clarity was any better.... ummmm fished there 8 minutes and headed back.  lolol  It was a good move.  We only had ONE keeper at the time with an hour or so to go.  We stopped back at 11 mile and started getting fish on Excalibur xr50s.  They weren't big, but keepers.  We finally get to cull a fish.  a 1 pound 12 ouncer....... we cull it with a one pound 13 ouncer!!!!  lolololol  Woohoo.  Well, we did cull that one too, so at least all our fish were 2 pounders, but that was all.  Wish I could have done a better job Brett. We did get a musky and a sheepie.

fiker

I fished with Eric. He was a most gracious host, and put me on largies in places I had never been before.   If it hadn't been for him, I might still be looking for smallies in chocolate milk.
Eric  took me all over the lake, and I never hurt my back once. 
For me, the day was a total success just on that note.  It takes a guy that really knows how to drive a boat to do that.   Eric sure does. 

The DK's are about the only tournaments I fish each year.  I love meeting you guys, and spending the day on the water.   After that, it's all icing on the cake.

Thanks again Eric.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

mikesmiph

OK, I slept now. When do we start planning the fall DK Open? I can think again now, lets get things moving lol.

djkimmel

Ok... you're in charge of something.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Riser145

Hey I'd like to thank Jeff for being my boater out there on Saturday...super nice guy. I had fun we didn't stick any pigs but not to bad for a guy from Indiana and a newbee :) thanks again lookin forward to the next one

djkimmel

Thanks for signing up. I look forward to seeing a whole bunch of you at the fall DK Open coming to a lake near you (on the west side, probably White).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

Dan, the Spring Dk Open on St. Clair this year was truly a great time. Thanks for putting on this event. A special thanks to all the members and sponsors that stepped up and made it even more special with food, beverages and prize donations. Mike and Brian did a great job with the cook out.

My partner 1javelin (Herman) was great company on the lake and knows how to set the hook on those smallies. We caught our entire limit in 24' of water but did not manage to get that kicker or two to seal the deal. Our largest fish went 4lbs but I know there were larger ones there. What do they say about not leaving biting fish? I did that twice during the day. Sorry Herman. But I knew we were close and wanted to find that toad.

On the Dk Fall Open being on White Lake, I would have to say that a 2.5 hour drive to fish St. Clair is one thing, but after last year on White Lake you will be hard pressed to get any eastside guys to drive 2.5 hours to possibly catch a fish. I would suggest that another option be offered.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

bob o

Quote from: MadWags on May 19, 2010, 06:08:27 AM

On the Dk Fall Open being on White Lake, I would have to say that a 2.5 hour drive to fish St. Clair is one thing, but after last year on White Lake you will be hard pressed to get any eastside guys to drive 2.5 hours to possibly catch a fish. I would suggest that another option be offered.

+1. hardy, croton, gun, grand river....the list goes on and on

thedude

white is one of the best fisheries on this side of the state. every lake has its off days.... for a late summer fishing event - there is nothing that will be "lights out" over here (or anywhere to my knowledge).
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

Quote from: thedude on May 19, 2010, 10:16:01 AM
white is one of the best fisheries on this side of the state. every lake has its off days.... for a late summer fishing event - there is nothing that will be "lights out" over here (or anywhere to my knowledge).

I have to agree with Justin 100%.  White is normally awesome all the time, but there is no argument that it was off that day.  There isn't a fishery over here that is anything like St Clair.  No mention fishing styles in West MI can be completely different then the Eastside.

Bob o...In my opinion, the 4 lakes you mentioned will be an absolute grind and skunk-fest during the time of year of the DK Fall Open.

I would say if we want awesome fishing we all would need to drive a while and got up north somewhere from Ludington to "The Bridge"

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

TCook

Could always come to Paw Paw Lake, but I agree White is the best option over here. The fishing is always good and everyone should catch some nice bags.
FISH HARD!!!

thedude

yeah, i mean if you don't like white - then you gotta go further like to hamlin or cadillac/mitchell (which would be cool too!). Paw Paw would be a good choice also.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Riser145 on May 18, 2010, 11:03:32 PM
Hey I'd like to thank Jeff for being my boater out there on Saturday...super nice guy. I had fun we didn't stick any pigs but not to bad for a guy from Indiana and a newbee :) thanks again lookin forward to the next one

Woohoo congrats on your first post Brett.  I enjoyed fsihing with you.  I've been telling everyone back home how I fished with  a guy from the Michigan State bass fishing team!!!  Goodluck  Now if Notre Dame or Ball State get a team together, then I'll have to change my alligence.  lolol

Firefighter Jeff

I in no way know St. Clair like a bunch of you, but I was there for 3 days last October and it wasn't so great.  My brother and I had days of very few fish. So all fisheries have tough days.  Can't remember exactly how many we got but NOWHERE near the spring fishery.  I understand that catching fish is a big part of the opens, but isn't it also to get together with guys you don't only see but on the computer???  If it was more of a true tourney I'm sure we'd want to pay more than $5 to enter.  I'd like to go to White if I'm not at the station.  It's a 2 1/2 hour drive instead of 4 hours for St. Clair.

t-bone

I fished many tournaments at White and your not going get the st. clair numbers but the weights have always been big. It has always been a good fishery from what I've seen.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250