Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 03:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

So what happened at the meeting?

Started by cameraguy, November 04, 2009, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Quote from: motocross269 on December 10, 2009, 11:58:39 PM

Where would be a good place to hold a TBF meeting that is centrally located???  Suggest it to the President...I like BPS because of the 10 percent off but that is just me but I am willing to drive if I am available...The site location has probably been about the number of members and clubs that are east of Lansing vs West...I know there has been an increase of West siders this year so that may be something that the board should look at....How many clubs are there currently West of Lansing???

Well, there's a Gander Mountain in the Lansing area... maybe they would let US us their "Lodge" room??

As for clubs west of Lansing... I know of at least 3 with decent and GROWING memberships.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

The lodge room at the Gander Mountain Lansing is very small. The board can meet in it, but probably not a well attended member's meeting. We've done it a couple times in the past with small meetings. At times they have it packed full of stuff and unusable.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: cameraguy on December 11, 2009, 12:46:24 AM
Let's see if we can find anything negative here...

Since Texas and Florida were mentioned as TBF affiliates to look up to ("the only thing holding Michigan back from being mentioned in the same paragraph as TX and FL is our attitudes and opinions"), it should be noted that according to their websites, the TBF of both Texas and Florida have a $100 entry fee for their State Championships.  I couldn't find membership numbers listed anywhere.  They might be there but it's late and I'm tired.

Okay, let me sweep that paragraph with the negative detector...nope, just facts.  So, Mr. Cox, does this post meet with your approval?

When did we start filing complaints with the Attorney General's Office - I think Mike Cox does a decent job as Attorney General but I don't know if that warrants getting him involved with the TBF. 

Come on now dog!  What can I do to help turn that pouting :'( frown into a smile ;D?
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

motocross269

I got the Holiday greeting from Mr. Cox today....I am a little concerned that he thinks some of the comments on here are Negative towards him personnally or the TBF board...I really don't see it that way at all and I have not seen any personnal attacks on either...I will use the Scales as an example....I have not seen anyone say the past or current board are bad leaders because we don't have scales..What I have seen is members commenting on "We don't have scales, what can we do to get some"....The no fee state fish off....Some of us have thrown up a red flag and questioned if we couldn't use the entry fee money to fund the State team and some other areas but I haven't seen it as a personnal attack...
I really don't think anyone on here is saying "Jeff/TBF board you guys don't know what you are doing"...I think it is more along the lines of concerns and getting clear the intent of the board and the President...I appreciate the boards volunteerism and we all have to remember that these guys aren't getting paid(It is probably actually costing them money), I think most of the posters here understand that.....

Any politician, Military leader, or supervisor can tell you it takes thick skin to lead an organization...You are going to have people criticizing your moves no matter what you do...Your job as a leader is to sort the valid concerns from the BS...You can't ignore them and concerns have to be addressed....Lead from the front, Don't ask anyone to do something that you wouldn't do, learn at times to keep your mouth shut and your ears open, and remember it is mission first and people always and the organization will have a chance to grow....

I think this thread has been a pretty fair and open minded discussion...

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

cameraguy

Quote from: Return On Investment Outdoors on December 11, 2009, 01:58:40 AM

When did we start filing complaints with the Attorney General's Office - I think Mike Cox does a decent job as Attorney General but I don't know if that warrants getting him involved with the TBF.  

Come on now dog!  What can I do to help turn that pouting :'( frown into a smile ;D?

No, not MIKE Cox. Ha! Dat vas a good von.  :)  

To answer your question...a little sleep and...Motocross said it pretty well.  Some of us are looking for answers and discuss how to make it a better TBF.  We need to make sure that some of the core reasons for having this organization are not overlooked while trying to find a quick and overly simple approach to, what will be a never-ending problem with membership numbers.  

djkimmel

Very good advice moto for anyone who wants to be a leader.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skip Johnson

Well after a phone call to the TBF president today Im kinda wishing I hadnt posted about needing a scale and just called him first.

Im now 100% convinced that the tournaments have been and will be run at a top notch level and thats what we need to be the leading federation, we have allready seen how upset peaple get when a weigh in doesnt run smooth if you refer to a few posts back.

I know that using FLW equiptment and their weigh master/MC couldnt go smoother or have more of the true professional tournament atmosphere.
Chip has run big tournaments and fished top level tours and on top of that is a nice guy that Im sure will be a great personality to have at Muskegon.

IMO the state championship is the most important function of TBF but only becouse we wouldnt have the youth and conservation group we have without that "ONE" tournament.

We only have the one tournament a year, if TBF went out and bought all the equiptment it would be $5k to $10k and have to be updated/replaced every 5 to 10 years plus insurance and thats for a small little trailer and then it needs to be stored somewhere and maintained/upkeep and then run by a professional and that professional needs to have a REALY great personality IMO to give the weigh in some life plus Jeff also pointed out something I never thought of and that was what if a scale breaks at a 80 particapant plus tournament, half are allready weighed and released then it breaks, you dont have a spare scale or you have a cheapie that may weigh a bit different...so youd need two of the same scales...thats expensive!
I didnt realy put any thought to that either but I have seen scales break, if someone knocked me out of 1st or wherever by just a couple tenths from a different brand or model of scale Id possibley be upset.

When I was going to bat for obtaining scales the first thing Jeff said was Skip we have access to scales "wherever" and whenever we need them, heck even a board member has all the equiptment thats totaly at TBF's disposal and several clubs have made it very clear TBF can use their scales .
After I moved on from TBF owning weigh equiptment for just one tournament I wanted to know why do we rent scales, from what I got out of the conversation was it works great, its professionaland organized and looks professional and organized then he brought up the point of fish processing, handling, and speedy release and at some TX's a release boat on lakes like st clair that need a release boat to get the smallmouth out to cooler cleaner water than what is available at the ramps and several other great points were brought to my attention that I hadnt realy put the thought into.

I admire the fact that Jeff has survivability/conservation in mind which goes beyond what I was thinking when I "thought" we needed a scale.
Jeff mentioned many more reasons and good points, I dont want to quote him on anything so I dont get in the middle of anything but I will tell you that Im 110% convinced that he has nothing but the best in store for TBF future and is doing everything in his power to not blow the budget, have the best fish off, take care of the youth and participate in conservation efforts as well as member growth.

if you have any questions or doubts call him and ask him for yourself (734-429-2580) or attend a meeting and ask.
Go Big or Go Home!

Skip Johnson

one thing that Jeff asked me that made a ton of sense to me was if I needed a piece of equiptment only one day a year would I go out and buy the equiptment and pay for it to sit 364 days a year or lease the finest equiptment available for the day and save $
Go Big or Go Home!

Jighead

Quote...but I will tell you that Im 110% convinced that he has nothing but the best in store for TBF future and is doing everything in his power to not blow the budget, have the best fish off, take care of the youth and participate in conservation efforts as well as member growth.
That's exactly the same feeling that I get from talking to him.  I've got no doubt that the TBF Fish-Off at Muskegon will be a great event (as the previous ones have been) and I'm really looking forward to it.
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com