Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New to great lakes fishing??

Started by baggerslimm, August 07, 2009, 09:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baggerslimm

Hello..  I'm new to this board and i'm trying to find out some info..  I live south of Gary, In and want to start fishing for Smallies on Lake Michigan..  I've never really fished for them on it..   So can you fella's give me some pointers to get started.. Baits seasonal patterns etc...   Thank you for your help!!!  Gary
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

TritonTR20

Not much in lake michigan for them to hang around. There are some rock piles ect. though that are hard to find. Although in your area they hang around the dock walls and pilings alot. As you move towards East Chicago there is more lake structure in the 10-25ft range. Tubes and cranks are always good.

djkimmel

I haven't tried it, but I've heard it is all about harbors in the very south end of Lake Michigan?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

baggerslimm

Thanks for the replies...  Can you explain to me about dragging a tube..  If you were fishing 15-20ft of water what size weight would I like to start with??  Thanks Slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

River Rat

Welcome aboard!  Not sure about your area, sorry...

Dragging a tube: let the current or wind drift you across a "target area" such as rocks, shoals, hole or depression, or a grass patch all by itself, etc. while dragging the tube at a 45 degree angle from your boat.  Start with maybe 1/8oz and work your way up heavier if you can't "feel" the bottom.  I'm sure someone here will be able to help you more indepth.

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Skulley

I have fished all over that area.  My sister lives in Chicago.  Try all the harbors.  Not a lot of rock piles.  I have always done good right outside the rock rip rap near downtown.  That's where Woo Daves won the Classic a few years back.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.

BD         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

baggerslimm

BigDog I was there when Woo One!!!   As rough as it was They did alright...    I went out today and caught some nice fish!!  I tried to fish all the wind blown areas the best I could..  I'm slowley learning that when I think i'm useing a heavy weight I need to go with more weight!! I'm looking for someone who makes a 2/0 light wire jighead in the 1/4,5/16,3/8 range?    Thanks slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

gamehawg

does anyone know where the closest boat launch is to gary or east chicago?

baggerslimm

GameHawg, You can put in at Pastrick Marine..  You might want to get there early..  Fills up quick with pleasure boaters..  You can put in at Portage also..  Just follow the signs North of Bass Pro..  You can Im me for anymore info..   Slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

yankee jigger

Hey guys,im new here.Love the site and love fishing for smallmouth.
  I did my first LM trip last sunday a.m.Lost 1 fish at the boat and seen a few caught.
  Launched out of Pastric and fished the north shoreline as well as the bridge pilings just out of the harbor.Kind of windy so didnt venture out too far.
   Its amazing water clarity too.
   Im more of a stained water fisherman so it will be a learning curve.My best great lakes smallie is a 20 incher at Chequamegon Bay on my eighth anniversary in 2006.
   Launch out of Pastric is easy in/easy out.Id launch out of Chicago but too many headaches.
Sometimes its better to ask forgiveness than seek permission.

baggerslimm

Yankee jigger send me a im and i'll try to help you !!  It took 17lbs to win the anglers dream last Sat..  It was rough 4'-6'ers out side the break wall..
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

yankee jigger

Thanks for the tips Gary and the phone conversation.
  The tube bait thing didnt pan out,did take a wave over the boat by the stacks,but.....
  Did manage 1 18 in smallmouth on a drop shot rig,watermelon finesse worm at the marina entrance.
  Now i have to figure out how to overcome the short strikes.

baggerslimm

Glad to hear!!  Little rough out there today!! 
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

baggerslimm

I do believe that some of the short strikes are the larger goby's!!  We get  goby's in the srainers at work up to 5" long..  slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

yankee jigger

I had the same thought but the 1 fish i did catch,all i felt was a light tap.
   Man,that wind was nasty.

Mojo

short strikes ? what rod and reel ? What line are you using ?

I found the Shimano crucial 6'8' med w xf tip works well with 10 lb floro - start with a 1/2 wt on your tubes first and learn what it feels like when you are ticking weeds, zebra mussels, rocks and clay/sand. If you feel or reel in weeds amongst the rocks, bring the wt up to 3/8 and try popping or imagine the tube bumping just off the bottom. I'll cast my tube out 20 yd and slow retrieve pop and fish it back to the boat.You'll start to feel the SM hits better that way and you'll learn that if the SM hit that tube but arent there when you swing, try dropping slack if you miss em , they sometimes come back and when you pick up the slack you feel weight, set the hook again! Like Yukon says: Hooksets are free !!! On the 3 - 5 lb fish, most times you rarely feel the hit and for some reason I delay set my hook by 2 sec - reel down and swing, 3 of 5 times theres a fish.

If you are fishing DS, go down to 8 lb floro. Gulp! minnow 3" will get you more gobie shakes, but will also attract 10 - 23 inch smallies (SM). Good search bait and SM never short strike it. Use a small owner ssw straight shank 1 hook or a gama DS hook - smaller the better. Start again with 1/2 wt to learn how that rig feels on the different bottoms before you lighten up. Its all current and drift speed dependent. I like to vertically drag and wiggle my DS. On most of the 5 lb fish we caught I never felt the hit, when I lift to bump the bait forward it feels snagged, so I set the hook and it sets back !!
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

baggerslimm

Mojo, Thanks for the info!!  I'm useing a  a 7'mlef crucial now..  I just picked up a 7'6" mef st.croix legend elite..  When Drop sotting with the shimano I never felt the bite..  The st.croix is way better rod!!  That is the one thing i'm learning that bottom contact is critcal..  I never fished 20'-30' of water before..  Never d.s. until this year..  Been throwing the standard baits and the bite has been tough!!  Been a North wind for 3 weeks..  No good fish all have been in the 10"-14" range..  And not to many of them..  I'm learning so I guess it just takes time..   thanks slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

Mojo

7'6" is just too much rod for me. Maybe when you are fishing 40 - 50 fow, but in 2 - 30 fow, I can sense everything in the world with that crucial. Im also now at a point where I fish 3/8 when everyone is fishing 1/2, and 1/4 when everyone has 3/8.  8 - 12 inch tag line, tiny hook. 8 lb F vertical lift and Im all set !!! Love the DS !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

bigjc

Quote from: baggerslimm on August 15, 2009, 06:40:02 PM
I'm looking for someone who makes a 2/0 light wire jighead in the 1/4,5/16,3/8 range?    Thanks slimm

Try Xtreme Bass Tackle, Wayne has a good assortment of tube jigheads available in a number of sizes and he is one of the sponsors of this site.

http://www.combat-bassfishing.com/