Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:57:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

It seems like 2014 was new boat time for everyone...

Started by YpsiBass, March 21, 2014, 07:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YpsiBass

Still a little paperwork to finish, but all the hard stuff is done and I've got a mounting list of questions.

1995 Stratos 201 Pro XL with 225 Evinrude Vindicator

YpsiBass

The list of things to buy...

Lifejackets, probably going to buy a couple Save Phace masks, landing net, fiberglass/gel coat cleaner (need recommendations and/or where to buy), oil (apparently will eat about 4 quarts per season), gas (you just buy 87 octane right??).

The front graph is old, but it'll tell me depth and temp which should be fine. Also considering it's my first bass boat, I think I should learn how to use everything before I go upgrading/replacing things.

dartag

There is a large list of things you need.  Probably best to list what you got with the boat.

Learning to fish and operate the trolling motor is the first thing to learn. 

YpsiBass

The trolling motor is one of those remote thingies so no foot pedal.  Have console gps, front graph, lighting, batteries, and fire extinguisher.  All the other compartments are empty.

TheFishinPollock

Throwable PFD. It's over 16 foot and trust me  . Ya don't want the ticket. 

As for a boat care product all I use after a waxing is some type of product akin to Megurie's spray shine.  A lot of guys swear by Bass Boat Saver, but I have yet to use it. 

Also a shammy to keep in a locker to wipe it down after ya take it out.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

BIGSHOW

I use vinagar and water mix after I get out of the water. Also use a ethenol treatment if you use most gas from the stations. Since your screen name is ypsibass I assume you live in ypsi and probably will fish belleville/ford till you get comfortable, then hit the river or bigger lakes. Anyway there is a gas station on southfield rd right off I-94 that sells 100% gas with no ethonol. I have not found any others. I would rather use that. You can get a test kit for 7 bucks to tell ethenol levels.

Manxfishing

Sweet boat Rick
You'll enjoy fishing out of the front

I'm hoping 14 will be the year for a newer boat
I've been looking

Mike S.

Nice!! Glad to see you finally pulled the trigger. Enjoy. Be safe.

dartag

I think we should have a Take Rick Shopping event.  Your credit card and us shopping could be fun. ;D ;D

Where is that storage yard.  That place look nice.

fiker

Start with a list that the Coast Guard puts out on what is needed.  If you plan to fish Canada theirs is a little more involved. 

In addition to what has been stated above you'll also need:

a measuring board
towels can get em at the dollar store
extra clothes/hats
marker buoys
marine band radio
tool kit
flashlight
Way to secure TM while moving from place to place.
Rod straps
Recessed tm pedal if it doesn't have it
comfortable and adjustable front seat.
dollar store containers to store and separate all the little stuff in your compartments.
Blue ice containers for the cooler

For wiping down my boat I use vinegar and water to clean off the water spots and grime.   At the beginning of the year I paste wax the hull.  During the season I use furniture polish from the dollar store. 
I've read that if your motor is designed for 87 octane use 87.  You can damage the motor by using too much octane in it.  Always use a fuel conditioner.  Guys I now swear by Ring Free, and Sea Foam.
Until you own a boat you don't realize how much money it costs to start up and keep it in operation.  No matter how much "stuff" you have, you'll always want something more or a little different.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

21XDC

One of the best Stratos boats ever made. Happy for you Rick. I think you got a steal on it. The learning curve owning a boat is rather big. I hope you go out a few times with a boat owner to help you shorten the curve....

Don't forget to put the plug in before you launch...  :P
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Slipkey

Congrats!  Nice boat!  As far as finish products go, I do day-to-day cleanup with vinegar and water as well.  The thing with a boat finish is that, as long as you maintain it, they are easy to keep looking new.  Once you let that slide, even for a season, getting them back in to shape is three times the work.   I'd suggest picking up a decent, but inexpensive 6" buffer at Sears or Harbor Freight.  There are a bunch of great compounds for cleaning and polishing but I prefer Zymol HD Cleanse, which is somewhat expensive but a really great product.  I hit the boat once in the spring with that and Zymol's Marina wax (one container lasts me about 10-12 years), which has a really high Carnauba content and then spray it a few times during the season with Lucas Oil Slick Mist, which you can find at NAPA (Bass Boat Saver is another similar product).  As long as I do that, the finish holds up well and is protected from everyday scratching, fading, and wear marks from the boat cover.  If you have a boat cover, you can re-waterproof it with 303 Fabric Guard.

As far as gas, I always put 93 in at the beginning of the season, to boost the octane on anything left in the tank, and then 87 the rest of the year. I also add Seafoam every time I fill up. My Opti handles ethanol fine, but with your motor you may want to start the season out with a zero-ethanol fuel (Here's a list of places in MI that sell it: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI ) and run a Seafoam/Ring Free (or QuickClean) mix through for the first tank or so.  If you plan to do your own maintenance, pick up the Seloc book for your outboard.

As far as things to purchase, a bunch of them are already covered, but, if you plan to fish the Great Lakes, don't forget flares, a mirror (or lighted signaling device), and a whistle (or air horn).  The requirement for a paddle also still exists on the books, though some officers will allow the trolling motor to take the place of that. I keep a small telescoping one in the boat, just in case I have a picky officer on a safety inspection.

The light output from the small wedge bulbs used in your gauges, compartments, livewells, and nav lights fade over time, and most, if not all, of your bulbs can be replaced out with LED wedge bulbs that will really brighten things up and draw less juice.  The list can go on, but start getting her ready for the season, and you can add to what's needed as necessary.  I second the recommendation of taking her out the first time with an experienced boater.  It will make your learning curve less steep.  Congrats, again, and have fun!  :)

bob o

backing up at the ramp lessons start asap, as well as loading your boat without much use of the big motor no power loading in michigan, but if you get the trailer at the right depth you can get pretty far up the trailer just at idle speed. so the learning curve starts at the first trip to the lake, and it starts in your driveway, check all the lights dbl check the chains cross them this makes a cradle if the trailer should ever come off the ball and prevents the trailer from dragging the ground one hole or big seam in road and the chit hits the fan really quick. did you ask brad about the condition of the trailer bearings have they been replaced or repacked latley? same question for the brakes also the last thing you need is a bearing or brake fail iut is a pain in the butt. after all that your on the water and the plug is in the motor is running every thing works boat lights, bildge pumps, livewell pumps, trolling motor, time to fish. lets hope we can get it wet before april

VinceR

Congratulations on the new boat, Rick. Looks like a nice one.

LAPORTE

Its easy get in shut up wide open and smile.... oh yea no brakes....  ;D
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Waterfoul

Come on up and visit me at the store.  We'll get you all set up with everything you need to have a great, safe first season with your new boat!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MSURoss

Hey Mike,

Rick says he used 93 octane in my 200 EFI. I plan on using non ethanol fuel that shouldn't be a issue correct?

bob o

run the fuel the manufacture states in the owners manual

Waterfoul

I always told Rick he didn't need to run 93 octane... it's a waste of money.  He ran it because most 93 octane has no ehtanol in it.  That motor only requires 87 octane per the manufacturer (Mercury) so if you run non-ethanol gas you will be just fine.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MSURoss

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 25, 2014, 09:37:08 AM
I always told Rick he didn't need to run 93 octane... it's a waste of money.  He ran it because most 93 octane has no ehtanol in it.  That motor only requires 87 octane per the manufacturer (Mercury) so if you run non-ethanol gas you will be just fine.

Thanks Mike. My 50hp Yamaha didn't do well with ethanol gas even with treatment, so I've been just buying rec fuel.