Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

It seems like 2014 was new boat time for everyone...

Started by YpsiBass, March 21, 2014, 07:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

Answer from another site.   The middle guy is an expert on Mercury engines.   There are many other topics on that site about all outboards.

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-motors/469705-87-oct-91-oct.html

Waterfoul

For those of you too lazy to click on the link (you know who you are!) here it is:

When selecting fuel for your outboard engine, do so using the following criteria, and IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-Top Tier, Name Brand, High-Traffic Station
-Appropriate OCTANE RATING (as specified for your outboard engine)
-Lowest possible ethanol percentage (DO NOT EXCEED 10%).
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

YpsiBass

Waterfoul

Quote from: YpsiBass on March 25, 2014, 01:39:44 PM
It's an Evinrude outboard...

The same would apply to your Evinrude.  87 Octane gas and a good ethanol treatment with every fill up.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

YpsiBass

My mind is having trouble keeping a checklist of maintenance items.  Thanks everyone for the good info, as always.

dartag

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 25, 2014, 12:42:48 PM
For those of you too lazy to click on the link (you know who you are!) here it is:

When selecting fuel for your engine, do so on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-Appropriate OCTANE RATING (as specified for your engine)
-Lowest possible ethanol percentage (NOT TO EXCEED 10%).

I copied something from a web site one time.  I guess I violated a bunch of web site rules.   Now I copy links. 

Rick don't get overwhelmed with the new boat.  We all started this way.  Remember you can always just launch and use the trolling motor. Just go easy.

bob o

just trying to help with more great information and you get your hand slapped  :'( it's the internet get used to SHARING information, this might be one of my last posts. :-\'

Waterfoul

Quote from: bob o on March 25, 2014, 06:56:11 PM
just trying to help with more great information and you get your hand slapped  :'( it's the internet get used to SHARING information, this might be one of my last posts. :-\'

I've never had a post or comment from another site censured on this site... unless it's from that

duh... you just did! ;D.

dartag

Hang in there Bob some day we will be able to go play outside.  Although we are having a white out here at Union Lake tonight.  

Firefighter Jeff

Wow Rick, congratulations on the new boat.  Go big or go home huh ???  That's a lot of boat for your first.  Please take your time learning how to run it.  That's a lot of power !!!!  So excited for you..... enjoy  !!!

YpsiBass

MSURoss

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on March 25, 2014, 09:22:33 PM
  Wow Rick, congratulations on the new boat.  Go big or go home huh ???  That's a lot of boat for your first.  Please take your time learning how to run it.  That's a lot of power !!!!  So excited for you..... enjoy  !!!

That's what I thought!

djkimmel

Glad you got a boat that can make you happier! Don't listen to LAPORTE about the 'wide open' part. Not at first. He's more on the mark with the 'no brakes' part. Get used to running the boat at lower to mid-range speeds first and definitely work your way slowly into trimmed way out.

It is easy to overtrim and overtrimmed at high speed can be the last time you do it before you realize it was a bad idea, especially on inland lakes, or on any lake where a surprise boat wake might come along 'out of nowhere.'

I always recommend driving the boat for awhile partly trimmed out just to the point the hull feels like it has loosened up a little. If you're running at a high speed trimmed all the way down you can get in a situation where the bow can cut into the water and jerk the boat around hard. If you're running overtrimmed or even trimmed out all of the way at speed and hit a wave you can shoot the moon, which can sometimes be more excitement than you want.

Get a feel for the boat in various turns, maneuvers and wave mixes at medium speeds and medium trims you're less likely to do a hard turn, unplanned 360 or moon launch, all of which can throw you out of the boat. NO MATTER WHAT - wear your life jacket and connect the kill switch when running the big motor - tournament or no tournament. The boat and water don't care.

I've lost a friend and had another involved in a fatality due to not using the kill switch while running the boat. I've also dealt with two others, one Internet friend who was hospitalized for 7 months due to running a fast boat at full speed in a tournament before first learning how to handle it in varied conditions despite my best attempts to recommend not trying that, and another who was in the hospital for awhile and lost all his equipment due to flipping a bass boat overtrimmed and speeding too fast for mixed waves. I can think of several other incidents I've witnessed or had fishing friends involved in injuries due to 'tournament fever' or just plain wanting to go fast when it wasn't a good idea. I like you and would like to see you have a long, safe, fun relationship with you boat.

Learning to drive a bass boat is a lot like learning to cast a baitcast reel for the first time. If it has a hotfoot, there's a learning curve with that for sure. For a short time after I got mine I sometimes tried to 'brake' with my hotfoot. That doesn't work... ;D If it has trim/tilt around the steering wheel, that is nice. Also takes getting used to so you don't overtrim and blow out (yup, did that too a couple times) but if you only have trim on the shifter that makes driving high speed a little different too since you will only have one had on the steering wheel much of the time. Good luck and watch out for always-running-to-the-other-end-of-the-lake-itis! :D A common syndrome with first-time bass boat owners. Some of us fight that the rest of our lives! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: dartag on March 25, 2014, 05:13:38 PM

When selecting fuel for your engine, do so on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-Appropriate OCTANE RATING (as specified for your engine)
-Lowest possible ethanol percentage (NOT TO EXCEED 10%).

I copied something from a web site one time.  I guess I violated a bunch of web site rules.   Now I copy links.

Most websites, just like books and newspapers, have their work copyrighted. Copyright in the U.S. is automatic even if it specifically stated - it only doesn't apply if the author and/or publisher (website) explicitly state they are allowing some other use.

I do not like getting DMCA notices from other websites. I ESPECIALLY don't like getting them from Google! My business insurance doesn't like it very much either. They have a clause something to the effect I lose my insurance if I allow such a violation. I need my insurance, and I respect and understand why other website owners don't like their content stolen (basically what that is). Don't take it personal. I do it to anyone who puts any of my websites at copyright violation risk once I find it or am made aware of it. Just one of the many tedious tasks a website owner has to do even when it upsets good members.

You can sometimes get away with posting a small part of an article or content from another site if it falls under 'fair use' but that is defined and subject to interpretation. If someone much bigger than me says I've (GreatLakesBass.com including any post by any member) not followed fair use or violated copyright then they win every time for many reasons including the insurance problem.

I can leave Waterfoul's excerpt up for now since it is very short and may not be enough to upset the other website, particularly considering you were nice enough to follow the rules and post a link instead giving them the credit (and possible extra traffic - something pretty much every website owner likes!). Should be okay but it is remotely possible the other website owner sends me a DMCA notice. If they do I will delete the content faster than you can say copyright!

If it makes you feel any better, I did ruthlessly edit Waterfoul's mention of something I do not allow being mentioned. I don't even want references on here that place exists! I made it now 52 years without every having anything to do with that place and I'm fine with that. Every time someone even refers to it GreatLakesBass.com loses some opportunity to have members and visitors give other companies a try - companies that are actually very fair and helpful in recognizing the benefit of getting traffic from this website unlike that other place that seems to expect something for nothing. I can't pay any bills at all from 'something from nothing.' I'm even tempted to put the phrases on the block list because I imagine people tell other people how great it is by PM and when they do that they are most definitely harming the ability to keep this website going. Kind of hurts my feelings a little. I probably won't do that but I will keep asking anyone who likes this website to consider what helps it verses what hurts it.

If people want to be in love with that place, that's their business but please don't even refer to it on here. There's plenty of other places people can talk about that place to their heart's content. If they ever decide to be fair and recognize the benefits of the traffic they get from this website I'd be happy to change my tune. Unless and until that happens they have a negative impact on my ability to keep this website going so yes, I will keep trying to have them benefit from this website at the expense of companies who help. I appreciate any understanding from any of you.

Now, back to new boat talk...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

You sure know how to win friends and influence people...?? At least say something like people on 'other' websites might be too lazy but NOT any of the fine, awesome folks on GreatLakesBass.com. Heck - maybe say something like if you're real busy... some benefit of the doubt! I'm even taking it somewhat personal! You are talking about the people on my website. I like these people! Have you ever been attacked by an angry mob? I've seen it happen for less than that!

Meanwhile, you could just share your own version of the information without copying and pasting so I don't have to ever delete it or worry about copyright issues. People are more likely to read it and less likely to want to attack you as mob too if you leave off the lazy part - not everyone knows who you might be referring to and pretty much everyone who reads it will be thinking 'is he talking about me (while picturing torches, pitchforks and mobs shouting through a dark night)?' ;D

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on March 26, 2014, 01:49:18 PM

You sure know how to win friends and influence people...?? At least say something like people on 'other' websites might be too lazy but NOT any of the fine, awesome folks on GreatLakesBass.com. Heck - maybe say something like if you're real busy... some benefit of the doubt! I'm even taking it somewhat personal! You are talking about the people on my website. I like these people! Have you ever been attacked by an angry mob? I've seen it happen for less than that!

I was kind of directing that comment at a couple of my friends here who can't seem to move the mouse to a link these days.   ;D  I'm sure the rest of the members here have no problem doing so as they are all fine, upstanding people of impecible taste (they joined up here, didn't they?   ;)  )

As for "my own words" I've done that here many times on the subject of fuel and additives for outboards.  Thought quoting someone described as an "expert" might make the point better (even though given my current career... I consider myself to be an expert in this field).

So if I offended anyone... sorry.   :)

Oh, and I went up and edited the copy/paste section enough that no copywrite issue can come up. 

Waterfoul

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 25, 2014, 06:59:34 PM

I've never had a post or comment from another site censured on this site... unless it's from that

duh... you just did! ;D.

Dang... censored again!  LOL!!

djkimmel

The edit probably reduces my white hairs by 1 - thanks! I try to remember unless I mention a specific name - some people do tend to think everything on here is directed at them personally... can be dangerous. Particularly late in the 'cabin fever' zone...

What I need to do - you all can help - woo more experts over here. Can never have too many experts. Well, that is probably a relative statement. What is the best way to attract experts - free milk and cookies?

djkimmel

Just realized I was trying earlier to figure out who slapped you?!? Why would you leave this menagerie of bass anglers!?! Things are about to start really happening again!! :D

YpsiBass

Quote from: fiker on March 22, 2014, 07:13:52 AM
Start with a list that the Coast Guard puts out on what is needed.  If you plan to fish Canada theirs is a little more involved. 

Only things that I can see from the USCG that are required are 3 flares, life jacket for everyone on board, an air horn, and a throwable float. Am I forgetting or missing something?