Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:00:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Back Reeling

Started by PineLk 49, January 03, 2013, 07:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineLk 49

Whenever I get a big bass on I always flip the switch on spinning reel and back reel when the fish makes a run or 2 or 3. Have had much better catch rate since I started doing this 20 something years ago.

Just curious if others use this technique or use something different?

This should be interesting...
Thanks, Dave

thedude

i don't ever back reel. i use the rod because that is what its for, sometimes even the drag.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

t-bone

Never have back reeled. Just rely on the drag and rod. I think it has only cost me a fish or two by not have the drag set properly.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Redbone

If it was up to me, I would eliminate that switch.

Genie

I back reel.  Even do it on bait casters sometimes when using braid and baits with treble hooks.  Never loose any fish.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

gmetime24

I haven't ever use the switch on my spinning setups. I will mostly just use the rod and adjust the drag with bigger fish. Sometimes with my bait casters I will let the spool run free and keep pressure on the spool with my thumb to let a fish run

bigmojet

PineLk 49

Thanks Genie!!! Thought  I was going to get hung up to dry. I think the most important thing is to have confidence in what you do. Whether its using light or heavy line, using a $300 reel or a $50 reel.

Confidence breeds Confidence

jjjmpv22

Never tried it I have seen some youtube vids where the guy was using it however. I have always wondered why someone would use it though.

Lightningboy

I never back reel a baitcaster.  The line runs straight off the spool, so no line twist problems.  I do make sure to lube & set the drag accurately.

I always back reel spinning gear.  The line makes a 90 degree turn around the bail before wrapping on the spool.  Drag being pulled off the spool will twist the line like crazy.  Also, I'm using light line with spinning gear, so I'm worried about drag start up.

I set my drag at 1/3 of the lb. test, as in 6 lb. test is set for 2 lb. drag pull.  However, the start up of the drag slipping can be 1-2 lb. higher than the constant pull weight.  Cuts too close to line weight for me.

I only use the anti-reverse switch on a spinning reel to store the rod.  Otherwise, it's set to back reel whenever I fish it.  I use the drag as an indicator of when to back reel; when the drag slips, I need to give some line.

There's been too many times I've had a big smallie take that boat side suicide run.  You've only got a few feet of line out, so no shock absorption by the line.  Back reeling allows me to be in control during that panic situation. 

On a related note, how many of you feather the line with your index finger against the spool at the end of a cast?  Doing that seemed to really cut down on twist too.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Waterfoul

Run light braid with a floro leader on all my spinning rods in Michigan In Missouri I use several straight floro set ups so I don't have to keep tying on new leaders when you get stuck in the rocks.

I love the braid set up.  Almost 0 issues with line twist and you can't beat the sensitivity.  That said, I never back reel... on the off chance that the switch got moved by accident it will always take me a second to realize it as the bail is spinning backwards after jerking the handle out of my hand.  Always creates a mess.  I feel that a properly set drag and a good rod will suffice in landing nearly every fish I get a hook into.  I have been known to strip line out of the reel for that boatside rush... If it's good enough for Mike Ioconelli.... I've seen him do it many, many times.  Works for me.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

dartag

All my spinning reels have the drag cranked down tight.  With back reeling you get less line twist.  Takes a little while to get used to flipping the switch.  Like everything else figure out what works best for ya and practice it.

thedude

the mere existence of the switch has cost me dozens of fish. not back reeling has literally never cost me a fish. i use 50 dollar daiwa regal spinning reels and caught plenty of big fish on them.  my rod tip is roughly 10' from the water when fighting a fish if i hold it at 10 o'clock, i can give that fish 10-15' of line to run instantly by just letting it pull the rod to the water.  

there is nothing worse than going to set the hook and the reel starts spinning backwards because you turned the anti-reverse off bumping it on something or getting jostled on a boat ride. no hookset = no fish. i might go home and epoxy my switches to the off position as soon as i get home now that i think about it.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Mike S.

I don't back reel either. I have lost fish due to the switch getting bumped. I can only think of one occasion where I have let line out of a baitcaster when fighting a fish.  I was on Mona and hooked a monster smallie on an xr50. That fish was brutal. I lethim have line, and he took verything he wanted. I got him to the boat, he wasnt done. Afternoon er a few good jumps out of the water, I lost him anyways. Would have definitely been my best.

I am a fish m believer in letting the rod and the drag do their jobs.

bigmojet

Before getting into bass fishing i was a river rat fishing light leaders for big salmon  and steelhead. You would never back reel or risk your knuckles being pounded when they go on a run. So backreeling never found its way into bass fishing for me.

Waterfoul

Maybe I'll have you epoxy mine too Justin!  LOL!! 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

PineLk 49

Lightningboys explanation couldnt have been said any better than reading out of a dictionary.

I venture to say that 60% or more of line breakage from a big bass comes by the boat. The other 40% comes from structure.. log, weeds, nick in line or bad knot

Justin, did not mean to hit a nerve. Just making good conversation. LOL!!!

bsimpson

I never back reel.  But I do keep my drag set pretty light on my spinning gear and will let them take line off that way.

Firefighter Jeff

I think it's just what you are more comfortable with doing.  Also how proficient.  I never backreel.  Could be because I'm uncoordinated.  I don't feel that I can smoothly reverse reel when a fish makes a run. Just seems so unnatural to me.  I have been known to pull line out form a baitcaster but it's mostly when I fish for steelhead and salmon.  Doesn't happen much with bass. 
   I usually keep a pretty tight drag.  I want to make sure my line doesn't slip on the hookset.  More times than not on a big fish I'll loosen the drag the first chance I get during the fight. I very rarely lose a fish at the boat because of the line breaking.  More times the bait just pulls loose, but on those occasionsthat is sometimes caused by me trying to horse the fish too much.