Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:07:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Back Reeling

Started by PineLk 49, January 03, 2013, 07:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flippin222

Looks like I am in the minority with this one..... I back reel all the time and will often look at the spinning reels I am purchasing to evaluate the accessability of the back reel switch!!!

I ran into problems a few years back with the drag not slipping consistently when a fish made a run resulting in my line breaking. I have also ran into problems with my line rubbing against dock posts, rocks, logs, etc... and with my drag at one setting, it would break before the drag would slip. It wasn't the fault of the drag, just frayed line.....

I saw someone do it on TV once and thought that it might help. It took a little while, but I got it down pretty good. Now all of my spinning reels have the drag tightened down and moments after every hook set I will switch to the back reel feature.

I don't believe I have lost a fish because of the back reel in the past few years since I have gotten used to it (knock on wood).....
Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things

Genie

hhhhhmmmmmmm Indiana .... can't back reel ... do I see a connection with a couple of members .....
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Genie on January 03, 2013, 03:15:09 PM
hhhhhmmmmmmm Indiana .... can't back reel ... do I see a connection with a couple of members .....

Well, you didn't disappoint.  I knew I left myself open for one of your comments..... you big turd !!!!  LOL

Genie

Well heck when you make it that easy ....
Grand Rapids, MI

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Waterfoul

I honestly can't remember the last time I had a fish break me off... at the boat or otherwise.   A good spinning reel will have a good drag.  Matched with the right rod and some skill you can land any fish, no back reeling necessary.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Basschief

Back reel both, especially spinning

PineLk 49

Hey Hey... Us back reelers are catching you draggers.

30 years ago back reeling used to be a very popular technique. But equipment and most fisherman have changed with the times.

How about you Mr. Kimmel?

Waterfoul

How do you go about back reeling a bait caster?  None of mine have the ability, mostly Curados.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Genie

For bait casters you don't really reel backwards ... just click the thumb bar so you are free spooling and thumb the spool just like you would cast.  End result is the same - fish is pulling line controlled by you and not the drag.
Grand Rapids, MI

gmetime24

That is what I meant in my post when I was describing how to do it with a baitcaster. Genie has a much better description of what I was trying to say. Thanks Genie!!

thedude

Quote from: PineLk 49 on January 03, 2013, 02:07:16 PM
Lightningboys explanation couldnt have been said any better than reading out of a dictionary.

I venture to say that 60% or more of line breakage from a big bass comes by the boat. The other 40% comes from structure.. log, weeds, nick in line or bad knot

Justin, did not mean to hit a nerve. Just making good conversation. LOL!!!

ha. i'm just trying to get everyone all riled up. but seriously, back reeling is dumb.....

;D ;D ;D
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

fiker

I never back reel spinning reels on purpose. 

I use Shimano Symmetre spinning reels, and Curado bait casters.  I have a lot of confidence in them.

On spinning gear I keep the drag set high enough to set the hook well, (depending on technique).    If I run into trouble during a fight I reach up and back off on the drag. 

My rear drag symmetre reels have a lever just for this mounted on the drag tension knob.  On the front drags I just unscrew the drag setting. 

My drop shot rod is a medium light rod.  I tend to back off on the drag often with bigger fish on this rod.  I'm also using 6-8 # fluoro leaders with 15# braid most of the time.

As for bait casters I can back off on the star drag or thumb the reel as described above.  I seldom need to.  Usually on a bait casting reel the line size is so heavy that I don't have to worry about it.  I just set the drag so that it's less than the line weight. 

Most of my fish are not in the 4-5# range so I don't worry about fish breaking me off.  I check often for line fray to make my line's not weakened from the environment.

I tie a pretty good knot, and when I can I use superglue to hold it even better. 

Break offs don't seem to be an issue for me.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

PineLk 49

Justin, I do not think you and Waterfoul are buying in to this. Did you guys go to the same school together?  Aye

Ok that smiley face will not work on my computer. Must have back reeled to far. Just poking fun.

Waterfoul

Quote from: PineLk 49 on January 04, 2013, 04:03:29 PM
Justin, I do not think you and Waterfoul are buying in to this. Did you guys go to the same school together?  Aye

Ok that smiley face will not work on my computer. Must have back reeled to far. Just poking fun.

Not the same school, and not in the same decade.  But we both went to Big Ten schools so yes, I agree with my young friend, back reeling is dumb!  

;D ;D

BIGSHOW

I've never heard of doing this. I've never had any problem with drag.

LennyB

Quote from: dartag on January 03, 2013, 12:56:30 PM
All my spinning reels have the drag cranked down tight.  With back reeling you get less line twist.  Takes a little while to get used to flipping the switch.  Like everything else figure out what works best for ya and practice it.

That's my take on it also.

I prefer to back reel so I am in total control of how much pressure is on the line.

BIGSHOW

I guess if you've been doing it all your life you would be used to it. Not something i'll try in a tournament.

dartag

Lew's makes a David Fritts addition reel with a switch you can turn off the anti-reverse.  He claims that is the only way to fish a crank bait.  I have heard he is pretty good with them. 

Lightningboy

This is turning into an interesting discussion.

From my perspective, I don't know how anyone can use a spinning reel with the anti-reverse on.  I almost always have my hand on the crank; when I don't, I use my index finger to trap it.

In fact, I almost always have my index finger against the line.  Only time it's off the line is when I crank the handle.  I want the sensitivity of my finger against it, and I want to always control the amount of belly in the line.

I've set the hook easily with just my index finger against the line roller. 

On fish making hard runs, I'll let go of the handle & use my index finger to "feather" the spool/bail.  And yes, growing up in salmon country I've done it with big fish making hard runs.

I learned about this many years ago from Spence Petros of Fishing Facts magazine.  I fished walleyes as a teen, and was a follower of Bill Binkelmen's nightcrawler secrets: 4-8 lb. line, lindy walking sinkers, etc.  Drags weren't great back then.  Was easy to learn, and worked great.

Do understand, I am picky about having my drags set right; I just use the drag as an indicator that I need to back reel to the fish.

Been doing it pretty much my whole life.  I just always feel I'm in control.   :)

PineLk 49

I dont think this has been mentioned and is equally important as to why I back reel.

Big fish are lost close to the boat and the hook pulls out. I believe this has happened to all of us.

As there is less line out it looses its stretch or elasticity (excluding braid ) and puts more pull on the rod,line and drag if it is not set perfectly.

Back reeling helps control that pressure if a bass makes that wild run. This has helped me catch many more fish that have been skin hooked that I other wise maybe have not gotten in the net witch equals $$$$$ if you fish tourneys