Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Back Reeling

Started by PineLk 49, January 03, 2013, 07:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Offer all the reasons you want, I will never backreel on a fish.  And I still think it's dumb.

;)
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Lightningboy

Maybe those who think back reeling is dumb have no hands.

Been told otherwise by several sources... ;)

Just sayin', ya know... ::)

Waterfoul

Quote from: Lightningboy on January 05, 2013, 05:05:48 PM
Maybe those who think back reeling is dumb have no hands.

Been told otherwise by several sources... ;)

Just sayin', ya know... ::)

Nope, just checked.  I have 2 hands, and I'm typing with them right now!   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

PineLk 49

Quote from: Waterfoul on January 05, 2013, 02:52:57 PM
Offer all the reasons you want, I will never backreel on a fish.  And I still think it's dumb.

;) Im not trying to give you a reason to back reel. Just trying to give you an insite on what works for me and maybe a few others.

This was never meant to turn into a PI--ING contest, but to learn MAYBE something new and use it or not use it. I take what ever someone posts and examine it and see if it will make me a better fisherman or not.

Lets try to make this fun and respect each others opinions on a subject weather it is right or wrong.

With that being said I Dedumb thee!!! Pleez

Lightningboy

Better check both of them are working, waterfoul.  You seemed to have missed a "P".

8)

PineLk 49

My bad. Sorry Warerfoul. Took your quote and my quote then added them together. Still trying to learn this computer stuff. Now that was really dumb. Ha!!

Waterfoul

Not sure what you are talking about... there's a p right where it's supposed to be.   ;D

Mike S.

Cabin fever, already? This is going to be a bad winter. Can I be de-dumbed, please?

Lightningboy

Maybe cabin fever...but all in good fun.   ;D

This has been interesting.  We're all so programed that fishing is about spots or lures, when really it's mostly about technique.

I'm really looking forward to the Bassmasters comming to St.Clair.  There will be some sucessful pros who find and catch bass in ways we wouldn't think to.

There really is no right or wrong.  A buddy once back seated David Dudley.  Bad caster, backlashes, etc.  He described him as the worst fisherman he had ever shared a boat with.

Next year he won FLW AOY.  Go figure. 

Waterfoul

Being de-dumbed can be nearly impossible for some... but with a name like Mike I'm sure it's possible.  That and I know you don't back reel!!   :o :o

;D ;D

Mike S.

That's because I don't catch fish. Well, except for that last 6 pounder I got last Monday. I know you remember that one. 

Waterfoul

Yup, big fish!   ;) And no back reeling required!   :D

bigjc

I have experimented with back reeling, but like Justin and others have said, I don't believe that I have ever lost a spinning reel bass, due to not back reeling.  In fact I rarely have broken off fish.  Most of the fish I have broken off have been on the hookset.  If you use good equipment and change line regularly, break offs should be rare.
A good rod, paired with the proper size line should absorb the shock of a surging bass.  Not to mention drag settings.  We buy expensive reels in order to have a smooth drag.
BTW have I mentioned lately that Wavepin reels are awesome and have an incredibly smooth drag?

Mike S.

You just did. Are they paying you?  Just kidding. I have one. It's definitely a nice reel for the money.

bigjc

Quote from: Lightningboy on January 06, 2013, 11:43:00 AM
Maybe cabin fever...but all in good fun.   ;D

This has been interesting.  We're all so programed that fishing is about spots or lures, when really it's mostly about technique.

I'm really looking forward to the Bassmasters comming to St.Clair.  There will be some sucessful pros who find and catch bass in ways we wouldn't think to.

There really is no right or wrong.  A buddy once back seated David Dudley.  Bad caster, backlashes, etc.  He described him as the worst fisherman he had ever shared a boat with.

Next year he won FLW AOY.  Go figure. 

Ken,
As usual you make a great point: a few years back when FLW was fishing Erie, I spent the week pre-fishing with some good-ol-boys from GA.  It was fun to see them plying thier normal tactics to water that we are accustomed to fishing our own way.  You sure won't find a wind sock on the boat of a southern angler...LOL