Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Here we go again.

Started by Mike S., April 23, 2012, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

Well, as you all know, my wife had spinal surgery last week. She was sent home last Sunday evening. I went to bed last night at 9. At midnight, she woke me up. She was shivering violently. It was crazy. She said she was freezing. I got her a ton of blankets like she wanted. Right now, its 3:30, and we have been here at the ER since 12:30.  They are saying she is dehydrated, and are concerned about a possible infection.  They have taken several blood samples, and urine samples. Getting ready to go for a cat scan.

The front incision site is rock hard. That is their concern. I was supposed to go back to work today, but they say they aren't letting her go home any time soon. I'm praying for the best. This really stinks. Poor girl. I feel bad for her.

djkimmel

Been there Mike. It isn't easy on anyone involved. Try to listen and help figure things out with careful thought about everything that happens and is said. Despite all the modern medicine, we still have to be our own advocates and keep track of things to get the best outcome. It helps to like and trust the medical people you're working with, but staying involved and thinking will often get you a better outcome faster.

I'm hoping you have her in excellent medical hands and they do everything right. And that you can do whatever you need to do to help out with whatever you can. Family always comes first. Any good boss should know that as long as you tell them your family needs you. I hope you have a good boss and you can do what you need to do. Prayers and the best wishes sent.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

They are right on it with her. I am really impressed with how fast they got going on this. They just wheeled her down for the cat scan. They haven't given us any results from the blood and urine tests yet. Man,I'm tired.

djkimmel

Yeah. The part never gets easy. Maybe you'll get it figured out on this visit and be headed back in the right direction again by tomorrow (well, today). Hope so anyway. Good luck.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

She is now being admitted to the hospital. She has an infection in her blood stream.  The cat scan didn't show anything, so now we are waiting for an MRI. They put an IV in her neck. The doctor says she's in bad shape. I am really scared. I feel so helpless. She could be here for quite some time. The doctor says anywhere from 3 days to a couple of weeks. But, they still don't have any answers. We don't know how bad this is yet.

Please, if you read this, pray for her.

Dan

I concur with what DK said about being your own best advocate.  We have found that with changes in shifts etc. that not always is everyone on board as they should be. That being said the medical profession these days can do wonderful things. Prayers on the way and I hope things get better soon for her!
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

motocross269

Prayers sent...Keep us updated....

Genie

Just went through this with an in-laws father ... If you are not getting the answers you need, ask someone else!  You have the right to know everything at any time.  He had the same type of scenario and the family was not getting any answers so they told the hospital they wanted a whole new staff ... and they got it and the answers they wanted.

Prayers sent
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

YpsiBass

Mike S.

As of right now, they are trying to get her to the ICU and out of emergency. They are having trouble getting her blood pressure regulated. It has been very low all day. Early this morning it was 82 over 43. Right now it is 102/48. They wont have any answers on the blood cultures for 48 hours. They are hoping that when she has her mri it will show them where the infection is. The cat scan showed nothing.

LAPORTE

2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Mike S.

Her blood pressure is a little more stable. The redness in her face is starting to go down.  A good sign I presume. They are doing the mri right now.

Genie

They will throw some HEAVY antibiotics into her ... she will start reacting quickly!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

tjrock

fiker

Lord please look over Mike's wife and help her body fight off the infection that she has wherever it is located.  We ask that you guide the entire medical staff as they try to determine what is wrong, care for her, decide her further treatment, and administer to her as she recovers. 
We ask also that you be with Mike and his family as they wait out this difficult time.  May the Peace of Christ be with them now and in the days ahead.   Amen.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Mike S.

Thanks, Fiker. Man, that brought tears to my eyes. I'm wore out, no sleep. My nerves are shot. The ER people said I was shaking as bad as her. The ICU nurses sent me home for the night. They wanted my dad to drive me home.

As for my wife, the mri gave no answers. They said everything looks good at the surgery sites. So, I guess that's good. Her blood pressure is up and down, all over the place. Her temp is the same way. It's up, then its down. I hate feeling so helpless. That's my girl laying there, not knowing what's happening to her. Crying because she doesn't know if she will see her kids again. This morning, she asked the doctor if she was going to die, and he told her he didn't know. She started crying instantly. Her mom brought our 2 year old up there, and as soon as I held her up, my wife cried hysterically. Now, she can't see the kids at all due to the fact she's in ICU.

I want each and every one of you to know how much I truly appreciate your thoughts and prayers. My family is my biggest weakness. There is nothing on earth that can bring me to my knees like my family having an issue. Your encouraging words really help. Just being able to get this stuff off my chest really helps. Thanks guys.

LGMOUTH

Prayers are being sent Mike.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

bsimpson

Praying for your wife, you, your children and the medical staff.

TimH

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Best of luck with everything.  You are truly admired for your genuine care and compassion for your family.  Stay strong and know that you have prayers from us anytime you need it.

TCook

Mike I am very sorry you and your family are going through this. Its not fair. Try and be strong for your wife and family, you will be in my thoughts. I hope they figure this out and fix her keep us updated.
FISH HARD!!!