Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:32:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What rod are you planning on throwing your Alabama Rigs with?

Started by Waterfoul, March 21, 2012, 10:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Been talking to several people about this.  The concensous amongst those who've been our fishing it in places south of Michigan is a pretty stout crankin stick.

I've been playing around with a BPS 7' MH Crankin Stick and it seems to throw and retrieve pretty well.  But I'm thinking a longer rod might offer more distance on the cast.

Throwing it using 17 lb floro spooled up on a Shimano Curado, which casts really well.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mojo

Brose - I'm going 65 lb braid on my froggin rod with a lower gear. Done. Im hoping to hook and slow reel the fish to attract any followers  :o. Since we plan on hoofin 2 and 3 fish in at a time lol - I need stoutness ? Plus if I snag, I'm not willing to snap off $30 in equipment without a fight !!!!

Just my 4 pence ( worth about $0 .022 today)
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

I wanted to try a 7' 6" Grandt Rods C76 but they didn't have any in stock at the Grand Rapids show. I got a couple C76M rods since I wanted one and expect to use them for crankbaits. I think they will be a little too light for any Alabama Rig over a couple ounces but I may try them anyway.

I already have a C14 7' Hvy that I got for throwing muskie bucktails and big swimbaits. I will try that one for Alabama Rigs. I think it will work pretty good. I might try the C10 also but I usually have a spinnerbait on that rod. Guess I should get another one. Well, I have another new C10 but I'm going to give it away to the 2012 fishing report winner!

I use generic 7' hvy rods in the Amazon to throw the rig for peacock bass. It worked well. Distance wasn't normally an issue. Accuracy was more important if I didn't want to end up 'monkey' fishing (like my partner many, many times).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Cheetam

I don't own one, and, unless one is given to me, I doubt I will.  But, IF I did have one, and I didn't buy a new rod to throw it, I would probably throw it on my 7'5" Heavy Powell cranking rod.  I think it's the 754CB (fiberglass) or something like that.
Jeff

huston

At first I purchased a a MH BPS Tourney,(7 ft). I  got that for $29.00 bucks but then thought I didn't want to dedicate a rod just for this type of fishing. I took that back and found a  6'6" MH Pflueger Purist rod for $49.00 at Gander Mountain and have since downsized my A-Rigs to 2 and Three arm weightless  rigs. I can use that combo for something else too like Jerk baits.

bsimpson

I am going to try out a Skeet Reese swimbait rod.  If that doesn't work the way I think it should, I'm going to try a big crankin rod.

Waterfoul

You should probably think about throwing an A-rig this Saturday Bill.   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bob o

i built a 7'3" kistler mh heilum with 35lb braid but i change up the line. it should do the trick.

Wolverines

I'm using a Powell 764. 

Someone mentioned a slower geared reel and I think that's a good thing to mention.  I've thrown it with a Revo SX 7.1:1 and it was tough to slow it down enough to fish it deep.  I wouldn't go down to a sub 6.1:1 crankn type of reel, but I think something in between is perfect.

Also, from what I've learned so far, it is unnecessary to throw it on braid for how I will fish it around here.  I've used 20# InvizX and will pry stick with that.
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

Mike S.

I'm going to throw mine on a 7'2 Quantum Tour KVD rod with 7.3:1 reel and 17# Halo. If it doesn't work that way, I will try something else.

Waterfoul

That reel might be a bit fast Mike... you'll have to concentrate on not retrieving it too fast.

Mike S.

No, the fish are just going to have to speed up!  I will run the "top fuel Alabama rig"! ;D

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: mikeszr800 on March 25, 2012, 08:22:01 PM
No, the fish are just going to have to speed up!  I will run the "top fuel Alabama rig"! ;D

LMAO Mike.  That's just like you  !!!  I threw a A-rig on a BPS Extreme medium casting rod.  Curado with 17# Berkley 100% Fluro.  I thought it worked ok.  I think a medium heavy would be better, but until I start catching anything on it I'm staying with the BPS !!!!!!!    :-\'

Mike S.