Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:34:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Muskegon Lake smallies 12/19/11

Started by Mike S., December 19, 2011, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I called in today, and went fishing, only for 2 hours.  Was well worth it. 

I launched around 10:30 at Fisherman's.  Went to the spot that Waterfoul and I caught our fish in in November.  In an hour's time, I got one in the boat.  I was good with that.  I didn't really expect to do well anyways.  I decided to move.

I go to a spot of mine on the south shore, about 11:30.  I am throwing "THE bait", by the way.  First cast in my spot, fish on.  I'm really pumped now.  My dreams for the day have come true.  If any of you read my post from earlier, I was wishing for a smallie or two.  I call my wife and ask her to meet me at the boat launch a little later to take some pics.  I have no 2 fisted pics whatsoever.  I hang up the phone, and boom, number 3 joins my livewell party.  A few casts later, here's number 4.  I call the wife again.  I ask when she's coming to take pics, and tell her I now have 4 in the boat.  We talk for a few minutes, and as we're saying good bye, fish on!  I dropped my phone on the floor, so I didn't lose this fish.

Once number 5 is in the boat, I'm ecstatic.  I never would have thought I'd catch that many today.  I'm new to this cold water thing.  So, I decide I'm going to the launch to meet the wife.

The water was 37 degrees, west wind at around 14 mph. The sun went away.  All of my fish were between 7 and 13 feet deep.  I had an absolute riot!  All 5 fish measured between 16 and 17 inches.  All 5 also swam away nice and easy, like nothing ever happened.  There was even an old guy on the dock watching us take the pictures.  He didn't understand why I was letting them go. 

djkimmel

You're going to make a bunch of people jealous!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

It was awesome!  If Waterfoul wouldn't have gone out with me a few weeks ago and given me some confidence, I never would have been out there this late in the year.  I especially love catching smallies, big or small. ;D

Waterfoul

If I had a trolling motor on my boat I would have been out there today as well.  Glad you did so well Mike!!  I can hardly wait to get my motor back!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

Man, I don't know what day it is ever. My days run together working 7 days. I should have called you. Probably would have been a blast. I would have stayed out longer for sure.

TCook

That blade bait can really catch em when its cold huh lol. Nice fish mike
FISH HARD!!!

Mike S.

Quote from: TCook on December 19, 2011, 05:28:32 PM
That blade bait can really catch em when its cold huh lol. Nice fish mike

Nope, wasn't a blade bait. Don't even own one of those. Only hint I will give on "THE" bait is that it is a Texas rigged plastic. Endless possibilities there.

djkimmel

You should start working on the blade bait. Really.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on December 19, 2011, 09:19:01 PM
You should start working on the blade bait. Really.

I have quite a few blades... would have thrown them if I had gotten a phone call.   ::)   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bsimpson

Count me as one of the jelous people!  Nice job!!!

Mike S.

Any suggestions on what blade baits to buy?  Manufacturer, colors, sizes, and so on. I would love to learn something else. I watched Waterfoul fish one for a little bit, so I have a slight clue about what's going on. He's definitely willing to explain the things he does. So, I guess I will get some and work on that next year.

Jmeis

Quote from: mikeszr800 on December 20, 2011, 05:11:32 AM
Any suggestions on what blade baits to buy?  Manufacturer, colors, sizes, and so on. I would love to learn something else. I watched Waterfoul fish one for a little bit, so I have a slight clue about what's going on. He's definitely willing to explain the things he does. So, I guess I will get some and work on that next year.

Nice catching. You may look here DJ offered some good basic info.  http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=11282.0
Triton TX 21 Bass Master Classic 225 OPTI
It costs extra to be STUPID!

Waterfoul

I like these:

[REMOVED - see No Links Policy List]

There are several others as well.  Not sure where to get blades in the Muskegon area though.

TCook

I still think the original silver buddy works best, I have tried a bunch and you can feel the difference in the tight vibration especially on the 1/2oz version. Silver buddies have new ownership now and they skimped on the metal plate used on the body think its made out of tin now which bends very easy and the silver plating comes off after bending back into place a few times. Although the tight vibration and effectiveness is the same you just go through them quicker. I switch back and forth between the 1/2oz buddy and 3/8-1/2oz cicada until the fish tell me what they want that day. The larger blade baits probably work well at certain times most likely the fall when the bait fish are generally bigger but I always get bit better on the smaller versions, I prefer that quick tight vibration with blades.
   When working follow it down on the fall so basically with semi slack line. It takes a little time to get this down but you need just the right amount, let the bait fall on slack line but reel in the excess to prevent the hooks from catching your line. Let the blade sit on the bottom for a second or two since some days that's when they pick it up. Then lift until you feel the vibration and quickly let it fall again. Your not bringing it off the bottom much maybe a foot or less.   
FISH HARD!!!

bigmojet

Add another jealous couch fisherman.

djkimmel

Mikes Rx Baits sells VIBE-E that some of the Great Lakes experts like (I haven't tried them yet): http://shop.mikesrxbaits.com/category.sc?categoryId=172

Economical Bass Baits sells Poor Boy's Baits blade bait which are similar to the homemade ones I throw: http://www.economicalbassbaits.com/apps/webstore/products/category/555194?page=1

The Tackle Huts sells two other American made blade baits - Reef Runner, which many Lake Erie guys switch up with, and ZAP Lures blade bait: http://www.thetacklehut.com/blade-bait.asp

Waterfoul

Sorry Dan... tried to just copy and paste a photo... guess I screwed that up eh?

Firefighter Jeff

Good for you Mikeszr !!!!  So glad you got out.  I was thinking that the weather was cooperating and someone should be getting out.  I winterized the motor last week.  :(  But that's ok.  Thanks for posting the pics.

red68prostreet

Another great bladebait is called a Steel Shad. They are longer than a silver buddy but deadly. Very popular on Kentucky Lake. You can go to www.steelshad.com and order them direct. They come in various colors but silver & gold are the most popular.

Get job on the pics Mikeszr800. I am as Mr. Kimmel said very jealous. That brings me to a question for you & Waterfoul. Every yr a few buddies & I go to kentucky lake in Oct. We always go in May as well and the fishing is always great. The fall trips have always been a bust. I have got them convinced to do a fall trip to the northwest area. My question is? If you had 5 days to fish in Oct where would you go and stay? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike S.

I don't get time to travel and fish much, so i don't have a ton of suggestions for that question.

But, I have a question for you.  red68prostreet what?  I know you're a car guy.  You have to be with a screen name like that.  Pro street means two things to me, big tires and lots of horsepower!!!!!!