Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass boat wanted spring 2012

Started by MSURoss, August 29, 2011, 09:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSURoss

I know it's a little early, but Ill be in the market for a boat next spring. Looking for an older fiberglass boat for around $3,000 so if anyone is looking to get a new boat next spring let me know.

motocross269

Have you thought about going Aluminum for that price range...You may get a little more boat and won't have some of the chronic expensive problems that can creep up with an older glass boat in that price range...

Just a thought...

YpsiBass

Being that I'm considering purchasing an older sub-$8k fiberglass boat next year, what chronic problems are you talking about?  I've only got a little aluminum jon at the moment so only issue I have is big water is scary.

motocross269

A glass boat for around 3k dollars as in your original post is going to be an older boat and probably not in the best shape....You could run into stringer problems, transom rot, high dollar carpet repair, seats, electrical issues, and the list goes on and on....
Now if you push the price up to around 8 like you stated here you have a good shot at finding a decent used ride....
There is always that pristine boat sitting in some widowers garage. ;D..They are out there and it looks like you have given yourself plenty of time to find one...

The reason I suggested an Aluminum boat is they run quite a bit cheaper and any repairs are usually alot less money...There are some great V hull models around that handle rough water pretty well...I higly reccommend going Aluminum for a first boat on a tight budget....But that is just my opinion...For how little it is worth.. ;D

mikesmiph

My Nitro will be for sale in the spring. Recently built a deck extention, recessed trolling motor pedal, new carpet, new seats, a bunch of motor work and wet sanded the entire top cap. It actually shines again. No way is it perfect, its an 87. The motor is cold blooded but runs 64mph once it warms up, The trolling motor should be replaced. I will be re-wiring the trolling motor. Not sure yet about the electronics, looks like they will stay with the boat. 788 on the console and a Matrix 35 on the bow. 3 new batteries, three bank charger. Transom is in good shape. Still a few bugs. Like I said, its not perfect. Was hoping to get $5-6K. Let me know, we still have lots of time for test rides.

YpsiBass

What's the package length and width?  I have a condo garage so space is limited for storage.

Mike S.

Motocross definitely has a good point.  An aluminum boat is definitely your best bet for 3k.  Five years ago, I got a 94 Tracker Tournament TX17 with a 40 horse Mariner for $2400.  I fished that boat like crazy, and had no issues other than the trolling motor catching fire on me.  Then, I sold it in June of 2010 for $2400, and bought a 96 Nitro 18 footer with a 150 Merc efi for $5000.  The Nitro wasn't the prettiest boat on the lake, but it served its purpose.  But, it had its issues.  The livewell was cracked, most of the gages didn't work, the lights didn't work, and so on.  I have seen some really nice Bass Trackers in the 17 and 18 foot range for sale for 6 to 7000 dollars.  The newer ones are wider, and have welded hulls verses the riveted leaker I had. 

Now, Mikesmiph has an older version of the Nitro, as he stated earlier.  He has put a lot of time into it, and it sounds like a pretty good ride for the money.  I've seen that boat at every DK Open since I have joined the site, and it has never left him stranded that I know of.

So, Mike, what you gonna buy?  A Cat?  A Legend?  Gonna take me fishing in it?  Huh, Huh?

Durand Dan

I see Bass Trackers everywhere right now from$1800 to $4000. It's a great boat and you can launch from just about any site. Don't worry about welded vs rivited hull. I had more problems with the welded hull

motocross269

Here is a nice looking older Bass Cat phelix....If you take a look at the pictures you can see the hull is pretty deep for a smaller glass boat.........Looks to be in great shape also..

http://basscatowners.yuku.com/topic/18648/AR-Boat-For-Sale

MSURoss

Quote from: mikesmiph on September 04, 2011, 07:26:56 AM
My Nitro will be for sale in the spring. Recently built a deck extention, recessed trolling motor pedal, new carpet, new seats, a bunch of motor work and wet sanded the entire top cap. It actually shines again. No way is it perfect, its an 87. The motor is cold blooded but runs 64mph once it warms up, The trolling motor should be replaced. I will be re-wiring the trolling motor. Not sure yet about the electronics, looks like they will stay with the boat. 788 on the console and a Matrix 35 on the bow. 3 new batteries, three bank charger. Transom is in good shape. Still a few bugs. Like I said, its not perfect. Was hoping to get $5-6K. Let me know, we still have lots of time for test rides.

Could you send me a few pics?

YpsiBass

MSURoss

YpsiBass

jacksonmj

Depending on where I get stationed this next year I might be selling my boat. 89 Hydrasports 17'6" 89 Evinrude 150XP and has been maintained yearly with the lower unit having all new seals this year. 2 LCX 15 fish finders and a 24V 67lbs thrust motorguide 4500-5000. Remind me in the spring when you start looking in the spring I will know by then if it will be transferring with me. Mike

bob o

MSURoss

bob o

Quote from: CMURoss on November 01, 2011, 01:24:42 PM
sold already bummer

i'll keep looking for ya, if there is a boat closer to me i would be happy to check it out for ya if you can't get to this side of the state

YpsiBass

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/2656624090.html

Nice boat for $4600.  Hoping they don't sell it before next spring heh.

Or this for $2k: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/2686032314.html

Seems like there are a ton of listings on the GR CL.

REEL_MAN

The only advice I can give is that you need to decide what boat you want, not the price you want. Have a friend that bought a boat (his second choice). He was never happy with the boat until he sold it and bought the first choice. As MOJO said in the beginning of the post a $3000 glass boat could you to a lot of hidden costs. Best thing is save your money a little longer and get a boat that isn't a submarine to sink a lot of money into. Patience is a virtue and could get you a lot more boat ;D

Reelman