Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:21:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Muskegon lake

Started by Redbone, February 24, 2011, 10:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbone

I've struggled several times on this lake and I have been doing as much research as I can this winter. But I could use more! ;D

About 4 years ago I fished a FOM on Muskegon. During prefishing we went to Bear lake and slammed some big largies and I though we had a good plan.  What I didn't plan on is all the other tourneys and fisherman that day going to my same spots. Needless to say we got skunked.  The last couple of tourneys I have fished I could never get a fish over 13 1/2''.  :(  I'm starting to think I have a pattern, but its taking WAY to long to figure it out.  Especially on a lake that all the bigger tourneys always end up fishing. Looking for some tidbits about that body of water. Anything will help.  Baits, Area, whatnottodoes. Thanks in advance.

jgip087

I used to love this lake when the water was more clear and the weeds were growing like crazy! However, something changed on Muskegon a few years ago and the lake has seemed to go downhill quickly. I remember one tournament that was Muskegon only about 6 years ago when we had 20.5, second was 17.5, third 17.25, fourth 17, and fifth 16.5. Now, those weights are going down, except for people making the run to White. Even in White though the weeds are not growing like they used to and the fishing is constantly changing. If you just want to catch some fish in Muskegon I would go to the Devil's Kitchen but that is all I am giving up because I can't stand fishing that area lol
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

Mike S.

You don't want to fish Muskegon.  It's junk.  Just leave it for me.  Unfortunately, I can't help you out, as I will be fishing lots of tournaments there and on White this year.  Good luck!

gr@ssmonkey

Quote from: Redbone on February 24, 2011, 10:50:48 AM
I've struggled several times on this lake and I have been doing as much research as I can this winter. But I could use more! ;D

About 4 years ago I fished a FOM on Muskegon. During prefishing we went to Bear lake and slammed some big largies and I though we had a good plan.  What I didn't plan on is all the other tourneys and fisherman that day going to my same spots. Needless to say we got skunked.  The last couple of tourneys I have fished I could never get a fish over 13 1/2''.  :(  I'm starting to think I have a pattern, but its taking WAY to long to figure it out.  Especially on a lake that all the bigger tourneys always end up fishing. Looking for some tidbits about that body of water. Anything will help.  Baits, Area, whatnottodoes. Thanks in advance.

when u get bit,pay extreme attention to the kind of weeds the fish came from and find more,you will find that bigger fish pefer a certain kind of weed,and when u figure that out,don't even fish place's that don't have them weeds.......sometimes it's even small patches of the good weeds in a field of ugly weed....u will have to put some time in like jgip said it change's a little from year to year.......hope this helps

8)see u on the water 8)

thedude

Quote from: jgip087 on February 24, 2011, 11:16:15 AM
I used to love this lake when the water was more clear and the weeds were growing like crazy! However, something changed on Muskegon a few years ago and the lake has seemed to go downhill quickly. I remember one tournament that was Muskegon only about 6 years ago when we had 20.5, second was 17.5, third 17.25, fourth 17, and fifth 16.5. Now, those weights are going down, except for people making the run to White. Even in White though the weeds are not growing like they used to and the fishing is constantly changing. If you just want to catch some fish in Muskegon I would go to the Devil's Kitchen but that is all I am giving up because I can't stand fishing that area lol

definitely - in 05 i fished it for the first time, came in with 15lbs sight un-seen. thought it was one of the best lakes i'd ever fished. water was higher, clearer and the weeds were way different than the last few years. not sure what made it change, be nice if it changed back!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

ROI Outdoors

The sudden change in the weed growth on Muskegon has a lot to do with the local fertilizer ban that started to be enforced about 4-5 years ago as well as the "shoreline clean-up".  Muskegon is a cycle lake if there is a such a thing - one year it's a 10 lbs fishery the next year it's a 15 lbs fishery.  I have only been fishing it for 2 years now and that's all I needed to be able to draw my conclusion as to why there has been decreasing sizes over the last 5-7 years......All it took for me was to watch the behavior of the 250+ bass released during our 60+ boat opening Sunday ROI Tourney in 2010...... 
What happens to all those Big Fish allegedly coming from White?  Shouldn't we see weights increasing with all those big fish being released at Fisherman's?  From what I witnessed first hand those big fish are not surviving - Fisherman's Landing is the best tournament venue in the state logistically but is also the poster child of where fish should NOT be released; high boat traffic area, dock accessible for shore fisherman, poor ph levels, mounds of salt and coal, ect.....I watched over 100 smallmouth and largemouth swim directly under the dock they were released at - meanwhile there were 5 or 6 "spectators" commenting on which fish they were going to catch after we left to be put in their frying pans....."that smallies going in the fryer tonight", "that one going home with me" and so on.   People can argue the delayed mortality percentages but what they can't argue is the fact that there are a whole slew of bass being harvested the night after most major tourneys out there.  Go out to Fisherman's the night after any big tourney and you'll find the docks there shoulder to shoulder and the 5 gallon buckets full of tourney fish.  For 2011 we will be using a Live-Release Pontoon for the opening Sunday Muskegon tourney (also be using on St. Clair in July) hopefully it catches on with everyone out there eventually and I can proved wrong......

Lake Mac is the new White ;D ;D
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

32eml24

The pontoon is an excellent idea, but I don't think any bass would live in Lake Mac.  Way too muddy  ::)

Redbone

So I can blame everyone that catches fish on Muskegon for my inability to catch fish? ??? I doubt it. Your talking about the overall picture of the catch of all anglers.  And in the long run you are definitely on the right path.  But seeing how 60 boats caught around 250 fish, I still think I need some more advice on how to be part of the 250 ::).

Waterfoul

On muskegon it's simple:

Throw your bait in the water an pray.

Been aggresively fishing it for about 5 years now... learned a lot in that time.  But to say I have it figured out would be a gross(monkey) overstatement.  I learn something new every time I fish there.

Time on the water is the ONLY way to figure out a lake and catch fish there.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Cy

I agree with WaterFoul completely...I can't believe I just typed that!  Unfortunately it's true. 

Muskegon is hard fishery to figure out.  There are places that always hold fish and you will learn those spots as you fish it and watch what is going on.  I have been fishing it hard for 5 years now too and there are days I struggle out there.  My own theory is the fish roam around a lot on Muskegon.  One day you will find them deep and the next day those fish are gone.  I have to assume they are chasing bait or the current moves them around.  Especially the small mouth!

Chris when the weather warms we can go out there I will show you around and see what I help you with.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Redbone

Thanks everyone.  It sounds like I'm on the right track.  There is really only two lakes I've been on that I dont have confidence in. Muskegon is one of them.  And any body of water that holds fish, holds BIG fish. I just have to find the pattern. I better go buy half of Gander mountain just to make sure I have the right stuff!  :)

And I agree with time on the water. Now if I could just figure out how to get paid to fish! ::)

Waterfoul

Ah... I knew you liked me a little bit Cy.  I didn't think you were always a D&*$head and now you have proved me right.  ;D

Thanks buddy.

Chris, fish it, fish it, fish it.  And you know that no matter what half of Gander Mountain you buy... the fish will be biting on the other half.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Fishmael

So in that case, you might want a faster boat so that when they aren't biting on your half of the lake, you can race to the other side!  And if that doesn't work, guess you have to go back to Gander again...

Redbone

Quote from: Fishmael on February 25, 2011, 02:22:21 PM
So in that case, you might want a faster boat so that when they aren't biting on your half of the lake, you can race to the other side!  And if that doesn't work, guess you have to go back to Gander again...

Ha! That's the 1st thing i did. Lmao.

edyer

Quote from: ROI Outdoors on February 25, 2011, 01:28:55 AM

The sudden change in the weed growth on Muskegon has a lot to do with the local fertilizer ban that started to be enforced about 4-5 years ago as well as the "shoreline clean-up".  Muskegon is a cycle lake if there is a such a thing - one year it's a 10 lbs fishery the next year it's a 15 lbs fishery.  I have only been fishing it for 2 years now and that's all I needed to be able to draw my conclusion as to why there has been decreasing sizes over the last 5-7 years......All it took for me was to watch the behavior of the 250+ bass released during our 60+ boat opening Sunday ROI Tourney in 2010...... 
What happens to all those Big Fish allegedly coming from White?  Shouldn't we see weights increasing with all those big fish being released at Fisherman's?  From what I witnessed first hand those big fish are not surviving - Fisherman's Landing is the best tournament venue in the state logistically but is also the poster child of where fish should NOT be released; high boat traffic area, dock accessible for shore fisherman, poor ph levels, mounds of salt and coal, ect.....I watched over 100 smallmouth and largemouth swim directly under the dock they were released at - meanwhile there were 5 or 6 "spectators" commenting on which fish they were going to catch after we left to be put in their frying pans....."that smallies going in the fryer tonight", "that one going home with me" and so on.   People can argue the delayed mortality percentages but what they can't argue is the fact that there are a whole slew of bass being harvested the night after most major tourneys out there.  Go out to Fisherman's the night after any big tourney and you'll find the docks there shoulder to shoulder and the 5 gallon buckets full of tourney fish.  For 2011 we will be using a Live-Release Pontoon for the opening Sunday Muskegon tourney (also be using on St. Clair in July) hopefully it catches on with everyone out there eventually and I can proved wrong......

Lake Mac is the new White ;D ;D

I like the idea of a release boat. I still think it's one of the better lakes around for numbers of fish. In a six hour tournament, you should be catching 10-20 keepers on most days. The size does seem to be down. The bigger fish might be out deeper feeding on the gobies.

Skulley

One of these days I'm going to get over there and fish Muskegon Lake.  I probably haven't really made an effort because St. Clair is 40 minutes from my front doorstep.  Come to think of it, Lake Erie is 40 minutes away in the other direction.  I guess Muskegon will have to wait.  

BD                 ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Cy

BTW...I think a release boat is a great idea.  I know BBT used to load up fish and go run them back around the lake.  I think all tournaments over 10 or 15 boats should be running fish back to the main lake, even on smaller lakes.  If we want to protect our lakes and our fish we should not leave tired out fish hanging by the docks for easy pickings on any lake.

Something to think about.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Fishmael

If you couldn't get a release boat, I am sure you could get a few guys to volunteer to transfer some of the fish 4 or 5 boats could take a lot of fish out.  You could transfer the fish to the volunteer boat livewells after they are weighed and you could have a couple boats going back and forth for the whole weigh-in.  Just a thought for smaller tourneys that can't get a regular transfer boat.

Cy

Quote from: Fishmael on February 26, 2011, 08:31:41 PM
If you couldn't get a release boat, I am sure you could get a few guys to volunteer to transfer some of the fish 4 or 5 boats could take a lot of fish out.  You could transfer the fish to the volunteer boat livewells after they are weighed and you could have a couple boats going back and forth for the whole weigh-in.  Just a thought for smaller tourneys that can't get a regular transfer boat.

That's exactly what I had in mind...I can't think of any smaller tournament that will be able to get a dedicated release boat or have someone to tow it and drive it.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Dan

What's the D&R say about putting a bunch of fish in a boat and then taking them out. Do you have to do it in batches of 10? Do you have to get a permit for a release boat?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."