Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Muskegon lake

Started by Redbone, February 24, 2011, 10:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbone

Quote from: Dan on February 27, 2011, 02:05:24 PM
What's the D&R say about putting a bunch of fish in a boat and then taking them out. Do you have to do it in batches of 10? Do you have to get a permit for a release boat?

That is a good question!

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: Dan on February 27, 2011, 02:05:24 PM
What's the D&R say about putting a bunch of fish in a boat and then taking them out. Do you have to do it in batches of 10? Do you have to get a permit for a release boat?

Technically you'd have to do it in batches of 10....Michigan is about 15 years behind most states on these matters and from what I can tell does not currently have a transport permit that deals with just bass - that being said I am sure that there is a permit that encompasses the necessary requirements but it isn't obviously a priority for them.  I hope to see something similiar to the Maryland Transport Permit (Pasted Below) soon available here in Michigan.  There's some opportunity for the DNR to improve a whole for our state and hope they can finally capitalize like almost every other state in the country has done.

MARYLAND FISH TRANSPORT PERMIT 2009
Permit Number:                 Permit Expiration Date:
This permit authorizes a person to transport a number or live fish in excess of the legal creel or size limits in Maryland and in Maryland waters for the sole purpose of returning these fish to the waters of Maryland. This waiver is issued under authority provided by Natural Resource Article # 4 - 205 of the Annotated Code of Maryland .
Name and Address of Permittee:
Phone Number or E-mail Address:
Name or Chapter of Fishing Tournament:
Name of Fish Transporter (if different from Permittee):
Phone Number or E-mail Address of Fish Transporter:
Dates of Transport Species to be Transported
Type of Transport (1) Land Vehicle License Number
(2) Boat License Number
Capacity of Transport Tank Number of Transport Tanks
River of Fish Origin
Fish Destination

Restrictions:
1) density of fish in live wells shall be 1 pound of bass per gallon of water;
2) water temperature within the release boats' live wells should be within 5° F of the water temperature measured at an approximate depth of 3 feet in the water body to which fish will be released. These temperatures are 75°F ± 10° F, depending on month (May – September);
3) fish are to be kept within well-aerated containers (near or above 100% saturated oxygen) of water prior to and following the weigh-in;
4) minimum capacity of live wells for release boats will be 100 gallons of water;
5) the tournament director must submit a tournament activity report within 30 days of the tournament (attached, or at http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fish/bass/basstournament.asp).
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

Team houston

Transfer implies you are taking them too another body of water. If you are putting them back in the same lake I doubt you need a permit. A phone call too the DNR might get you permission to carry more than a boats limit back out. Notice I said MIGHT.

Waterfoul

I honestly think, based on a number of CO's I've talked to, that the DNR would applaud the effort.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

That's something that really should be done.  If you've ever fished a tournament on Muskegon, there's no way you could miss the crowd of shore fishermen.  It's unbelievable how many people crowd that place. It really is a shame that they don't do more to regulate that.  The first year I bought a launch permit there, they gave me trouble about launching my speed boat before a tournament was scheduled to come in.  She told me that tournaments take priority there.  Fair enough.  Well, why don't they not let people fish there after a tournament?  That's what I think should be the case.  There are plenty of other places for people to fish from shore.  I have had people ask me if I had any dead fish in my livewell as I was getting ready to pull my boat out of the water to weigh in.  Guess they do that quite often?

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: UAWBigDog on February 26, 2011, 03:04:31 PM
One of these days I'm going to get over there and fish Muskegon Lake.  I probably haven't really made an effort because St. Clair is 40 minutes from my front doorstep.  Come to think of it, Lake Erie is 40 minutes away in the other direction.  I guess Muskegon will have to wait.  

BD                 ;D

Driving away from St. Clair and Erie to go to Muskegon would be a waste of time !!!

fishstick

I've never fished over there but it sounds like a bad place to be a release fish! Glad you guys are bringing a release boat. Are you guys going to be adding rejuvenade or catch and release to the tanks? I think one or both is supposed to protect against fungal infections and things like that? We have all caught those fish that are covered in sores or whatever and it concerns me about keeping them at high density's with other fish. I usually keep them in solitary confinement all day then bleach that livewell when I get home.

thedude

Quote from: fishstick on March 02, 2011, 07:57:18 AM
I've never fished over there but it sounds like a bad place to be a release fish! Glad you guys are bringing a release boat. Are you guys going to be adding rejuvenade or catch and release to the tanks? I think one or both is supposed to protect against fungal infections and things like that? We have all caught those fish that are covered in sores or whatever and it concerns me about keeping them at high density's with other fish. I usually keep them in solitary confinement all day then bleach that livewell when I get home.

bad place to release fish and its got a tournament or 2 just about every day of the week from memorial day through sept.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

thedude

Let them eat Cake! er.... CARP!!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

MadWags

Carp Cakes are the bomb! ;)
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Waterfoul

I don't have a problem with that one guy who is usually at the weigh in for the dead fish.   They might as well go to some good use.  But netting and catching the fish out of the channel there is a little much.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

jgip087

Catch and Release is anti-fungal and antibacterial. It also kills zebra mussel larvae and VHS. They are the only livewell treatment that can scientifically prove these things! Rejuvenade gets a fish through a tournament most of the time but tests have shown that it is bad for the fish. If you smell it, it smells like garlic and it basically ticks a fish off. It gets them through the tournament but post-release mortality goes up with its use. You can actually use it in your livewells to remove the heavy metals with those big walleyes in the Detroit River as well, just leave them soak for a while before you eat them, bluegills also, but please don't do it with our bass!!! Below is the actual description and Lane, one of the owner's, would send you the scientific facts if you want to argue...

CATCH AND RELEASE® is the most advanced livewell formula on the market today. Our new formula has taken stress and delayed mortality reduction to the next level. We have incorporated a natural tranquilizer that will calm your fish, lower deadly cortisol levels and has shown to inhance the immune response in bass and walleye.

CATCH AND RELEASE® aids in reducing secondary bacterial and fungal infections that result in delayed mortality in bass and walleye. When used in conjunction with proper handling procedures and livewell management, it ensures that bass and walleye can be released in superior condition so that they can live to fight another day.CATCH AND RELEASE® is the evolution of live release.

With superior dissolving capabilities, improved calming effects and an overwhelming ability to remove both heavy metals and pesticides (both of which can be especially harmful in coves or canals), CATCH AND RELEASE® is the choice of champions. Use CATCH AND RELEASE® in both livewells and weigh-in tanks as both a conservation measure and to assure that tournament points are not lost due to dead bass. Technically, CATCH AND RELEASE® will:

Calm your hard caught tournament catch so that injury in the livewell is reduced.
Reduce losses from stress by the all important addition of electrolytes back into bass and walleye.
Helps bass from regurgitating stomach contents which helps stop weight loss.
Immediately removes any harmful chlorine which may be present from melting ice.
Helps heal both hook and net wounds.
Replaces the all important natural slime coat of bass and walleye.
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on March 01, 2011, 08:38:10 PM
Quote from: UAWBigDog on February 26, 2011, 03:04:31 PM
One of these days I'm going to get over there and fish Muskegon Lake.  I probably haven't really made an effort because St. Clair is 40 minutes from my front doorstep.  Come to think of it, Lake Erie is 40 minutes away in the other direction.  I guess Muskegon will have to wait.  

BD                 ;D

Driving away from St. Clair and Erie to go to Muskegon would be a waste of time !!!

BD we'll see you over on Muskegon in 2011 with the Dodge RAM fishing team......................and Mr. Regina how many times have been up to Muskegon on opening weekend?  It is the only time I enjoy heading there unless I'm forced to fish a tourney there - either way every body of water has their own unique characteristics and challenges.

I just realized this post is in the wrong category - it should be in the Fishing the Great Lakes Subforum especially seeing as so many tournaments are "closing" the Lake.  Is Muskegon a inland lake or river if the Lake is "closed"?  Instead of Closed or Open I think they should be know as European Social Utopia Events or Freedom Events....

djkimmel

You been sniffing the air out of new tires again??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Fishmael

Drove by Muskegon Lake today while working and noticed that about 1/3 of the upper part of the lake was wide open.  Saw 4 or 5 boats out there.  Probably perch fishing.  However, at this point, any sighting of open water makes my heart skip a beat...  ;D

Firefighter Jeff

[/quote]

BD we'll see you over on Muskegon in 2011 with the Dodge RAM fishing team......................and Mr. Regina how many times have been up to Muskegon on opening weekend?  It is the only time I enjoy heading there unless I'm forced to fish a tourney there - either way every body of water has their own unique characteristics and challenges.

Mr. ROI  I wasn't necessarily saying Muskegon was bad.  Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.  I have fished Muskegon a few times, never opening weekend.  I have fished St. Clair and Erie early in the season and still say the two do not compare.  JMO  Maybe a tourney where you can only count 5 fish would be different, but I fun fish mostly, hence my comment.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on March 07, 2011, 10:36:04 PM

BD we'll see you over on Muskegon in 2011 with the Dodge RAM fishing team......................and Mr. Regina how many times have been up to Muskegon on opening weekend?  It is the only time I enjoy heading there unless I'm forced to fish a tourney there - either way every body of water has their own unique characteristics and challenges.

Mr. ROI  I wasn't necessarily saying Muskegon was bad.  Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.  I have fished Muskegon a few times, never opening weekend.  I have fished St. Clair and Erie early in the season and still say the two do not compare.  JMO  Maybe a tourney where you can only count 5 fish would be different, but I fun fish mostly, hence my comment.
[/quote]

We must be talking about 2 different things - I simply was asking if you have ever fished on Muskegon opening weekend so I don't know where feelings come into play with a simple question about something to do with fishing of all things.  I agree that you can't really compare anything to best smallmouth fishery in the world especially from a pure bass whacking good time aspect.  I'm shooting you a PM with some potential early season whackfest fisheries a little closer to home.

Dan,

It wasn't sniffing air of out new tires this time; it was the fecal matter of cormorants for 2 days down at Pickwick and Wilson - their like the B-52's of the bird droppings Air Force.  When we got within 1 mile of both dams our eyes would start burning from all the fresh air they provided......

Firefighter Jeff

[/quote]

Mr. ROI  I wasn't necessarily saying Muskegon was bad.  Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.  I have fished Muskegon a few times, never opening weekend.  I have fished St. Clair and Erie early in the season and still say the two do not compare.  JMO  Maybe a tourney where you can only count 5 fish would be different, but I fun fish mostly, hence my comment.
[/quote]

We must be talking about 2 different things - I simply was asking if you have ever fished on Muskegon opening weekend so I don't know where feelings come into play with a simple question about something to do with fishing of all things.  I agree that you can't really compare anything to best smallmouth fishery in the world especially from a pure bass whacking good time aspect.  I'm shooting you a PM with some potential early season whackfest fisheries a little closer to home.

Fair enough.  I didn't mean fishing Muskegon at the opening was a waste of time.  I was agreeing with BD that it was hard for him to leave Erie and St. Clair which are both 40 minutes away for him, to drive across the state to go fish Muskegon.

Redbone

Thanks for the input I recieved from everyone.  I think I have a plan of attack. 

BRING IT! 8)