Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

My sons first bass!!!

Started by fowlmouth, June 01, 2006, 10:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fowlmouth

After repeated attempts and numerous "can't we fish for bluegills?" my 6 year old son got his first bass. I took him out this afternoon to try out a new prop and he said he wanted to fish, so who am I turn that down? Started him off with a spinnerbait on his little rapala rod and he tried and tried with no luck. He wanted to switch baits so I made the selection 3-4 times, trying to keep it pretty simple and weedless for him still no luck. Then he picks out an old bag of powerbait ringworms and said he wanted to try that, so I rigged it weedless on a 4/0 hook on one of my st.croix's and handed it to him.
On his second cast I can here the sweet sound of braid running through the guides and looked back to see him wide-eyed and crankin' like a madman. It was a smallie and it cleared water 3 times and ran under the boat, the whole time my son stuck right to it and met the fish move for move. The only time I really helped was to grab the braid to guide it in the net(not gonna risk losin' a fish this important with my thumb). We celebrated with high fives and a hug before measuring and releasing, that fish weighed 3lbs 2oz. and was 18 1/2".
I was so happy and proud that he had done such a great job on his first bass that I forgot to take a picture of it, but he just said that's why we let 'em go, so we can catch them again.

Cheetam

Awesome story!  I look forward to taking my daughters out one day (hopefully they won't be girly girls like their mom :D
Jeff

Skulley

Jeff that will be up to you.  Get em out young.  I got my 12 year old daughter fishing with me on Wednesday Nights in NBAA.  She was 6 when we started just to go out and fish and started tourneys together when she was 9.  We are having a blast.  We get to the launch early and then eat a picnic snack before the blast off.  Then on the way home from the tournament, we stop at Taco Bell, Mickey D, Burger King or something like that and get a late dinner.  I do have one advantage I think over the rest of some of us that fish.  My lovely bride's father (my father-in-law) loved to fish and fished a lot with his brother-in-laws.  So I don't get much grief from the lovely bride when I want to go fishing, especially if it with the kids.  I am able to fish 4 days a week pretty steady and sometimes as many as 6 days if I can get away with it........ 8)   Yes, I am one of the lucky ones.       ;D     

Chances are one of them will want to fish with Dad. 

BD         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

h2o

Top Shelve Post: That's Priceless: Good Job Dad.

I took my son to the same lake to catch his first a catfish on Lakeville where I caught my first fish. A Bass.

h2o
BE HAPPY TO BE PART OF ALL YOU SEE

djkimmel

Forgot to post - if I ever have a post of the week award - this would be a winner! I don't have kids, but I remember taking my little brother Nic when he was 3 to catch some gills at a pond for his first trip.

He ended up catching a 2 pound largemouth on a tiny piece of worm on a tiny hook with a bobber. Wasn't in the script, but it was a memorable moment. The only thing is he didn't want to catch little bluegills anymore - too small, he said.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.