Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:32:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Power Pole or New Minn Kota Talon?

Started by Victor Cerabone, January 08, 2011, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Cerabone

Thinking about one of these for my Ranger.  I think it would really come in handy for the "skip the Fluke under the Pontoon" Pattern.  Dock has never been my strong point.  I think this might help. The Talon is Minn Kota's answer to the Power Pole. 

Who's got one?  Opinions please?   -Vic

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/shallow_water_anchor/talon.aspx

Cheetam

I'd be interesting in seeing (hearing) how much noise the minn kota makes when it is driving the spike into the bottom.
Jeff

Eric

I have a pole, and have never been in a boat with a talon.  They sound pretty comparable on paper, but the pole has one advantage from what I know.  You can lower the pole part way if necessary to get your boat under/through something, while the talon sticks up no matter what.  I love the pole.  Only thing I would change about it is a second one.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

jim 2row

Is it a pain in the ass for the guy in the back of the boat? The pole. I like the guys that fish in the back of the boat to have fun too. Guess they would save the motor from the guys that bounce cranks and spinnerbaits off my motor.

BryanP

The Talon is just as quiet as the power pole.  Some advantages of the Talon:

--no hydraulic pump, 1/3 the install time (and less costly) and since there's no pump, it takes up no space in the battery compartment.

--Built in wave absorption feature at no additional cost (optional upgrade on power pole)

--Wireless Remote is standard ($200+ upgrade for power pole)

--easily removeable from boat if needed with quick disconnect mount.  Also since there are no hydraulic lines, simply unplug the power plug.

Also, should you need any service work done, any of the Minn Kota trolling motor Authorized Service Centers can also perform warranty work on the Talon.

Eric

I have one partner who has made comments about how it is in his way.  But this is the same guy who had me put one on his boat after he saw mine.  So....
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Mike S.

I've fished from the back of Eric's boat, and the pole is no more in the way than the outboard is.  It was more of a distraction than anything. I want one, and was jealous.  But, I never had a problem fishing with it back there.

djkimmel

Quote from: Cheetam on January 08, 2011, 12:05:30 PM
I'd be interesting in seeing (hearing) how much noise the minn kota makes when it is driving the spike into the bottom.

As Bryan said, the Talon I heard down at the Ranger factory was quiet. And fast.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MBell

I would wait and see on the talon, just like anything new.  I have an 8ft power pole and the only thing I don't like is I only have 1.  Getting a second one shortly, you have to get two.
-Matt

Victor Cerabone

Thanks for all the input guys.  I like the fact that the talon can come off the boat easy.  I have had good luck with Minn Kota stuff.  I'll have to give both a good look.  Hopefully I've got some extra $$ for fishing stuff this year!!  ;D

Vic

MadWags

I have no knowledge of either. Never seen either work on a boat and could not give you an intelligent opinion.

That being said I would go with the MinnKota product.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Dan

I have not seen the Talon. I would wonder how quickly it deploys? I know from riding as a Marshal, all the pros have two power poles, and they use them a lot! I have heard several say they wouldn't be without them. They are very handy. They use them more at weigh-ins and putting boats in in the morning. They also use them as a brake. They will rip into the bank and as they do, they will drop their power poles a few feet and it slows the boat down. Those guys are always one speed, wide open. Two years ago most had them, and a number only had one. This past year all the Elite pros had them and all had two.
One pro told me that if it came down to money he'd do away with a jackplate and get the power pole.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

The Talon is new so not too many had it yet. Two of either is way better than one IF you can afford it. As I said above, the Talon is very fast to deploy from what I saw down in Flippin. Maybe I'll get a chance to check out BryanP's double Talons close up this spring sometime?? Didn't I see you say somewhere that you would have two on your new boat Bryan? (darn memory)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

So far from what I have read I would choose the Talon.  No pump to deal with.  That is just another thing that could go wrong.  I like to eliminate equipment failure possibilities where I can when on the water.  Nothing against the Power Pole as I have read that it is very dependable.  They also have low warranty return numbers.  Talon's numbers were not available in the technical reports I read about both products.  After the 2011 season it will be interesting to compare those warranty numbers.

BD                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

BryanP

Dan, Not sure about "new" boat lol!  But I will have them on my current boat if springtime ever gets here.  The new boat will have to wait another year or two.

djkimmel

I was thinking that since the the Talon goes straight down into the water, it might hold faster than a pole that has any kind of angle on it under same conditions. Just like you have to let out 3 times the depth on an anchor line to hold because of the angle. I've noticed drag with much current / wind on the power poles, but also note that it was in soft bottom areas that were maybe deeper than poles can be expected to hold much. Side by side comparison would be the way to be sure about differences and similarities.

I thought the Talon was faster to deploy, but had not seen them both at the same time.

Guess I now recall your comment was two on the existing boat. ;D That'll work too. Do you think you'll be able to get under the bridge still out from Metro Beach?

Spring will get here! It just feels a long ways off today in particular.

Victor Cerabone

It's a cool gadget for sure.  A question for the folks that have one... how does it change the way you fish?  I thinking it might give you more to time to hammer a windy bank, or as many casts at want at that dock????

djkimmel

I know I've liked the use of one when I've been in a boat that has one. Especially in rivers or other current situations. Especially if moving towards a sudden pod of bass and you want to stop fast without disturbing them. Only works in less than 8 feet of water, shallower depending on bottom. If they ever come up with a 16-footer, we'll really have something awesome!

robtheboatman

I did research on both, and ordered my Talon last week.  We are going to have the Talon on display at the upcoming boat shows if anyone would like to see it.  Please feel free to give me a call or email if you have any questions, or need tickets to any of the shows.

Thanks
Rob Bakeman
Wilson Marine
248-425-2068
rjbakeman@hotmail.com

djkimmel

Great! I need to take a closer look at them again since it will be a couple, three months before I can get BryanP to take me out spring bass fishing with his!