Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:47:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Power Pole or New Minn Kota Talon?

Started by Victor Cerabone, January 08, 2011, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-bone

Quote from: mikesmiph on February 11, 2011, 11:06:51 AM
A lot of talk about going under bridges, and getting in garages. Let me know if I'm seeing this wrong, but every picture I've seen of the Talon mounted on a boat, it doesnt stick up as far as the motor. Where is the problem getting under stuff if its lower than the motor?

Mike - I'm with you. Every picture I've seen of the Talon shows that the top is lower that the big engine and I would imagine with the engine trimmed up going into a garage on your trailer, it would be lower. So if you can back it in without dropping the engine, I don't think you'll need to take it off.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

That's what I've seen too. I believe you can adjust the height on install a little. There's supposed to be a fairly quick release capability - easy on, easy off. Just more of those things I'll check out when I get more firsthand time with one this spring.

I'm like everyone else, I want to buy the most dependable unit I can afford that best meets my needs. Be a while before I can afford anything but at least I'll have some time to get to know the Talon better. And like I said, I've been in boats with Power Poles but not in a situation where I could take video so if someone has one that wants to do some video of it in action later this year, contact me.

I like content that is of interest to all of you.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

independentMike

Just as a quick note; there has been a big slam campaign going on over the Talon from a group of people (power pole pro staffers?). Since this product is the first real challenge to the Power Pole's market share, it's no surprise. As everything with the Internet, take it with a grain of salt.
Support Small Tackle Manufacturers
Independent Tackle

Wolverines

Quote from: mikesmiph on February 11, 2011, 11:06:51 AM
A lot of talk about going under bridges, and getting in garages. Let me know if I'm seeing this wrong, but every picture I've seen of the Talon mounted on a boat, it doesn't stick up as far as the motor. Where is the problem getting under stuff if its lower than the motor?

I ended up getting a Powerpole.  I've only gotton to use it a few times so far, but I'm very happy with it.  I went with the foot switches at the bow instead of the remote.  I went that route mostly because of the cost factor, but again I'm very happy with that choice too. No reaching for a remote when fshing or fighting a fish.  Also I can easily run the PP and TM at the same time AND it saved me over $200. 

I have gotten to play with a couple Talons (not in the water) and I will say it seems they do go down faster that the PP.  To over come that I just started to lift my PP a little when I wanted to move so it only had to go down a foot or so when I wanted to stop again.  The PP also held the boat in place very well in 20 mph wind and a good chop on the water last Sat. 

I really like how my PP is mounted compaired to the Talon I looked at the other day.  My PP bracket is black and mounted between the boat and the jack plate so it's not very big.  The Talon was mounted between the motor and the jack plate and the bracket was huge so the motor wouldn't hit when turning.  Also the bracket looked like an unpainted, unfinished piece of aluminum and just didn't look very nice to me.  For that kinda money I think it should look nice too  ;)

As far as the height, the Talon I saw at the show was below the outboard at towing trim height.  That one must have been a 6' because after looking at this 8' Talon recently I learned it sticks up pretty high.  Looked to be higher than my 8' PP.  I have a standard size garage door in my polebarn that I back into and I'd say I've got about 2" to spare when backing in.  I'm not sure if that boat I looked at with the 8' Talons would make it in.

Anyways, that's all I've learned since I last posted about it.  Hope it helps some.  I'd still check out both if you're in the market, but I love my Powerpole!!!  ;D
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

MBell

Make sure you have a cut off switch hooked up to the poles.  With the foot switches a boat cover or a puddle on the cover can hit the switch.  You don't want to drag that think down the highway.
-Matt

Wolverines

Thanks for the tip.
With modern covers put on properly it's a non-issue though...

Also, it takes a good amount of pressure to press the button down.  It's not like something just laying on the down button is going to press it down...
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

PapaChris

I am getting 2 new Talons on my new boat coming later this month, I would be glad to let anyone come and try them out. I am excited, I have never had either a power pole or a talon but I weighed the odds and Minn Kota puts out one heck of a great product and Wonderland Can repair them being a Minn Kota service center so I opted for the Talons. However if someone is looking to buy either a Power pole or a Minn Kota Talon Wonderland Marine west is now an authorized dealer for both so we can get you hooked up.

Chris Williams