Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Poll Muskellunge Nickname - Musky or Muskie?

Started by djkimmel, November 20, 2010, 03:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you think it, type it or search it is it Muskie or Musky?

Muskie
Musky

djkimmel

Help me out with some decisions in a non-critical poll. When you think about muskellunge (and they're not eating your bass... or even when they are...) do you think musky or muskie if you typing it or maybe going to search it on the Internet? I.e. How to keep musk/y/ie from eating my bass?

Even if you don't think about them very often or hardly at all, maybe only one time, what do you think? Thanks.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Not very many votes... is everyone out hunting?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

Being of Irish/English ancestry I'd have to go with Musky, but as the grammarians say, it depends on its part of speech, noun or adjective, so both could be a correct form. However, if you're not sure you safe going with toothy critter,  or is that toothie critter?

y or ie?
As a general rule: -y is an English suffix, whose function is to create an adjective (usually from a noun, eg creamy); -ie was originally a Scottish suffix, whose function is to add the meaning of "diminutive" (usually from a noun, eg beastie).

So in most cases, where there is dispute over whether a noun takes a -y or an -ie ending, the correct answer is -ie: she's a girly girl, but she's no helpless girlie. Think also scrunchie, beanie, nightie, meanie ... There are exceptions (a hippy, an indie band), but where specific examples are not given, use -ie for nouns and -y for adjectives
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Mike S.

karol

what did Dan say? :P i thought i knew english but i guess not, something about the defurberator not cosignapting with the collagator, right? thought so..karol

EKennedy

So...if it's a boy fish - Musky.   A girl fish - Muskie.

djkimmel

SethV

I was gonna vote "trash fish", but since that was not available, I think "Musky"

djkimmel

I'm surprised a little to see ie doing so well here. Very interesting.

MadWags

Because that is the way it is spelled! Maybe we should chug on down to mambie pambie land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon! ;D

I love that commercial!
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

Thanks... I was not sure if it was 'nambie pambie' or 'mambie pambie' and now I know.

Tissue...?

thedude

muskie.

"musky" is an adjective used to describe an odoriferous anomaly.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Skulley

Quote from: MadWags on November 22, 2010, 06:08:34 PM
Because that is the way it is spelled! Maybe we should chug on down to mambie pambie land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon! ;D

I love that commercial!

Me too!!!

BD                        ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Quote from: thedude on November 22, 2010, 10:30:02 PM
muskie.

NO WAY you just used 'odoriferous anomaly' in a sentence!!

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on November 22, 2010, 11:22:53 PM
Quote from: thedude on November 22, 2010, 10:30:02 PM
muskie.

NO WAY you just used 'odoriferous anomaly' in a sentence!!

He probably heard it some where before... maybe from Cy.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

actually my sister-in-law's husband's little brother with whom i went to high-school with turned that phrase for the first time. I don't why it matters....every word you use you heard from someone else first :)
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Not true. I have invented new words several times.

In fact... the same spammer just tried to sign up for the 3rd time. I'm thinking of a new word right now that I intend to use in my email to him/her!!

thedude

ok fine - every "real" word you've ever used you heard from someone else.
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Maybe if you include 'read' in there...??

I guess after seeing the results of this poll and another one I ran somewhere else, the only decision might be to buy muskymuskie.com if I wanted a muskie website that covered everyone?!?

Got Fish??

Why not spell it Muskiey and be done! As far as calling it a trash fish. Maybe to a bass angler it may be a toothy pesky predator. As an adversary. It is a Worthy opponent. Takes many hours out on the lake for every fish caught.