Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:47:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Kent Lake 5-23-06

Started by McCarter, May 24, 2006, 08:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

Fished 6:15pm- 9:45pm

Water temp: 65

Water Clarity:  Light stain, visible to 5 ft

Met Maize at the east launch just after 6.  He had been out there since 4:00 pm and CLAIMS to have already caught 4.  I had some catching up to do and i got started right away.  First fish came on a Joshimoto Son senko, in a color of my own design.  Kent Lake Killer.  It was a largemouth about 2 lbs.  A few casts later and i was reeling in #2.  Another largemouth about 2 lbs.  Not long after tossing this one back, i set the hook yet again, much to Maize dismay on yet another 2 lb largie again on the KLK.  We were fishing the small island right in front of the east launch.  THe fish were shallow and hanging around scattered weed clumps.

We made our way to the back of the island but had no bites there.  Then out to the west end and into a little bit deeper water.  I quickly hooked up with a nice 3 lb largemouth on the Joshimoto.  I could tell Maize was getting flustered so i pointed out a tree for him to cast at.  He set the hook on what would turn out to be the best fish of the day.  A very long 3.25lb smallie.

Hoping to find some bigger fish, we moved to the channel edge and began fishing some deeper wood.  I started out with a c rigged lizard, but quickly switch to a dd crank.  First cast and no more than 3 cranks later, i was reeling in another 2 lb largemouth.  Shortly thereafter, i hooked my crank into a stump and gave slack.  As my bait floated back and up i felt a big tug and swung but the fish broke me off and took Maize loaner crank.

It got slow quickly along this stretch so we headed out to another post spawn hot spot.  I switched to a Joshimoto finesse worm in the same KLK color i was having success with earlier.  We were now fishing 14 foot.  Maize made it quite clear that he was not happy fishing this spot so we headed to another area, but not before i caught another largemouth.  this one only going about 12".

Next, we moved over to the I96 bridge.  I seen Maize take a swing, but miss.  Then i felt a fish load up on my worm, but i also missed.  The fish didnt seem to be hanging in any of the typical spots so we kinda cruised around casting to miscellaneous targets.  I hooked into another keeper largie on the finess worm as Maize watched in disgust.  At one point he even asked me how i got to be such a great fisherman.  I told him some people are just born into greatness.  He then asked me to autograph his hat which i did. 

Feeling bad about dishing out such a severe beating, i decided to lay down my hot bait and switch to something else.  I opened his topwater box and eye balled a popper.  He quickly made it known that was the bait he was gonna throw.  So i gave it to him and instead grabbed a RI Vixen.  THats when it really went down hill for old Maize.  Within 10 minutes i had landed another 4 fish, 3 smallies and one largemouth.  He quickly started hinting that being that i was using his bait, i should give it back to him and use something else.  But i wasnt having it.  We were working our way into the cut just west of the bridge and the farther down the shore we went, the more i hammered the nails into the coffin of MaiZes fishing day.  Hit after hit, and fish after fish i eliminated any chance of his catching up to me. 

a little farther around the shoreline, i finally hooked into a big fish.  I never got to see it, but i knew it was a good one when i layed into her.  I barely budged the fish and was still pulling back when my line broke.  Maize was quite upset that i had lost his lure, but i assured him we would get it back.  HE looked at me as if i was the best crazy fisherman hero that he ever saw.  Just then the would be # 11 launched out of the water and gave a good head shake, relieving itself of the Vixen.  I trolled over and snagged it on the end of the rod and tied back up.

We worked the rest of the southern shore all the way to the public fishing pier and all around the island just out side of the west boat launch bay with no more takers.  The sun had set behind the trees and neither of us could see out baits anymore. We deicided to call it a day, or night........whatever.  As we headed back to the east launch, i was reflecting on the day, wondering what we might have done different to find some bigger fish.  I noticed a tear in MaiZes eye.  Must have been hard to take such a beating, especially with a 2 hour advantage.  I mean, geez.....thats gotta hurt. :D

PoorBoy himself :-\'

canvsbk

A man has to appreciate a good old fashioned trip to the wood shed ;)
Look past what they want you to see.

bosshawg

nice report - glad  it went well. kinda similiar to our day out there last saturday. not as many fish, but i had outfished my boater who had been out since 7a.m. - i got there at noon & fished 'til 4...hoping all will be biting for tournament time this sunday. well, at least for us..
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

Cheetam

Had an opportunity to meet up with Maize and PB around 6:30 this evening and try a thing or two out for Sunday's OBM Open.   This weekend should be interesting...  There are fish in every stage of the spawn out there right now.
Jeff

MaizeNBlue

At one point he even asked me how i got to be such a great fisherman.  I told him some people are just born into greatness.  He then asked me to autograph his hat which i did.  :o

Dear god man, stop smoking the mega strike, those tubes can get expensive. That is also the last time I allow you into my tackle, although I am out of the KLK sinkos and need more. It is also the last time I feel sorry for you, and allow you the front of my boat!!!

There are some fish still on beds, but they are few and far bewtween. Jeff Cheetam did very well last night, good luck on Sunday.

McCarter

nonsense poopy pants.  You will loan me whatever lures i may need to outfish  you once again.

Cheetam

Quote from: MaizeNBlue on May 25, 2006, 07:48:14 AM

Dear god man, stop smoking the mega strike, those tubes can get expensive.
Is that how he does it?  I always thought he took more of a Preparation H approach to the Mega Strike...
Jeff

McCarter

What can i say, its very soothing.  And tastes great on crackers, too.