Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Burt 10/6

Started by TCook, October 09, 2010, 08:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCook

We started the day at about 8:30 and was greeted with no wind and sunny skies. I decided to start on a spot I had success on in the past. We got on them right away, Jeff's first cast yielded a nice chunk and on my second cast I got a five pounder. After I put a few more good ones in the boat Jeff asked me for some of those baits and he started whackin em. As the sun got higher the smallies moved in to the shallow rock line and was sunning themselves and grouping up to gorge on craws. For a few hours we were sight fishing those wolf packs but mostly making long casts along that rock line to get our bites. At about 1:30 the wind started to blow and the clouds rolled in and the smallies moved probably to the next break but we never got back on the schools. It was one here and there for the rest of the day and the following morning until we headed back home. We had about 25 on Wednesday most going 4-5 pounds biggest was 5-5 and Thursday we had 10 from 3-4 pounds. No bigguns for us but I think in the next couple weeks it will be crazy up there and the big girls will really be fired up. Water temp was 57 in the am and 59 in the evening, here are some pics of a few of the fish from Wednesday...

Jeffs 5-5

A couple good ones

A couple more

Some professional camera work from Jeff

Live well with maybe 8 4 1/4-5 1/4 pounders, we had put the first 10 in there at one time because we were worried about releasing them and alerting the schools. We threw most of those back in but ended up with these in there to take pics of a few.
FISH HARD!!!

ReggieMFD

Nice job guys!!!!  Wish I could of had Brad up there then so he can experience some big smallie action!!  Jeff those two you are holding in the one pic look like TANKS!!!!  Can't wait to show Brad these pictures.  Again, great job in figuring them out.  
Mark

Old Fishermen Never Die......They Just Smell That Way

motocross269

MBell

Good job guys, looks like fun.  I'd love to get up there on a sunny calm day.  Not likely to happen though, I've spent about 10 days up there in my life and only had 3-4 hours of sunny flat calm.
-Matt

djkimmel

This is the first year since sometime in the mid 90's that I haven't made it up there in the fall. If lucky, we'd get 1, maybe 2 days like that in a long week. In 2005 we got 3 in a row... that was AWWWSOOMMME!!! We also would usually have about 2 to 3 days of 30 to 45 mhp wind and even 7 inches of snow that one fall, I think 3 falls ago (or maybe 2). The campground had up to 6 inches of water in it after the snow started to melt. I still loved it up there anyway.

On those really bad days we just went into Cheboygan for a really good hot breakfast! Either went to a smaller lake later or if we could fish part of the lake without getting too wet and slammed, we'd go out for a while anyway.

I love it so much up there, I can actually smell it right now!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Musky

I was up there this past weekend with 4 guys and we found the fishing very good as well.  The winds were whipping up some nice waves on Friday, but did manage to catch a nice 6.2lb smallie on the 4th cast of the day.  The fish was up shallow on a point and just about tore my arm off when it blasted a spinnerbait in about 3 feet of water.  We caught about 12 fish in our rig on the points, and nothing smaller that 3lb's.  Probably could have done better but the waves were making the east shore impossible to fish.  We fished Mullet Lake on Saturday and the weather was perfect.  We had a 2 on 2 tourney and each boat had 20lb3oz sacks!!!  Big fish was 5lb on the button and most fish were caught on spinnerbaits, crankbaits and tubes.  It was a really nice weekend to be up there and I cannot wait until next June for our annual spring trip.  Not sure how to post pictures but let me know and I can share a few.

djkimmel

Check out the General Support board down at the bottom of the forum for several posts on how to attach pictures or get pictures on the Internet that you can link to.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: ReggieMFD on October 10, 2010, 09:18:51 PM
Nice job guys!!!!  Wish I could of had Brad up there then so he can experience some big smallie action!!  Jeff those two you are holding in the one pic look like TANKS!!!!  Can't wait to show Brad these pictures.  Again, great job in figuring them out.  

Thanks Mark,  Wish you and Brad could have been there also.  I just can't believe how lucky we were to have those conditions up to 1:15.  The wind picked up more the next day.  The nose of the boat ummm was a little too low and we took water over the bow.  Tim said we just skuffed the wave instead of spearing it.  I told him that was bad enough for me  !!!  Still not sure how I got so wet sitting behind a console  lolol 

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on October 11, 2010, 01:13:49 PM
This is the first year since sometime in the mid 90's that I haven't made it up there in the fall. If lucky, we'd get 1, maybe 2 days like that in a long week. In 2005 we got 3 in a row... that was AWWWSOOMMME!!! We also would usually have about 2 to 3 days of 30 to 45 mhp wind and even 7 inches of snow that one fall, I think 3 falls ago (or maybe 2). The campground had up to 6 inches of water in it after the snow started to melt. I still loved it up there anyway.

On those really bad days we just went into Cheboygan for a really good hot breakfast! Either went to a smaller lake later or if we could fish part of the lake without getting too wet and slammed, we'd go out for a while anyway.

I love it so much up there, I can actually smell it right now!

I'm not much of a camper.  Especially in adverse weather.  So we stayed at the Star Gate Motel.  Really nice older couple.  They sure were proud of the pic they had displayed of them and Mark Zona.  lolol  Plus it worked out great, there was a separate bedroom so Tim didn't have to listen to me snore, errrr well so he says.  Zzzzzzz

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Musky on October 11, 2010, 08:33:59 PM
I was up there this past weekend with 4 guys and we found the fishing very good as well.  The winds were whipping up some nice waves on Friday, but did manage to catch a nice 6.2lb smallie on the 4th cast of the day.  The fish was up shallow on a point and just about tore my arm off when it blasted a spinnerbait in about 3 feet of water.  We caught about 12 fish in our rig on the points, and nothing smaller that 3lb's.  Probably could have done better but the waves were making the east shore impossible to fish.  We fished Mullet Lake on Saturday and the weather was perfect.  We had a 2 on 2 tourney and each boat had 20lb3oz sacks!!!  Big fish was 5lb on the button and most fish were caught on spinnerbaits, crankbaits and tubes.  It was a really nice weekend to be up there and I cannot wait until next June for our annual spring trip.  Not sure how to post pictures but let me know and I can share a few.

Every once in a while we would run other baits, like spinners and cranks, but it's hard to stick with them when you know for sure they'll hit the tubes.  I probably should have tried a little more after the wind kicked up.  I think we had our best 5 go 24 1/2 pounds.
    Sure hope you figure out how to post pics.  Looking forward to seeing them.

Firefighter Jeff

Hey Tim,  thanks for posting the pics and story.  You might have a future in journalism if the new job doesn't work out !!!!  lololol

Musky

I am not smart enough to get the pictures up...cannot get the option to pop up on the "Additional Options" to get them up.  Sorry!

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Musky on October 12, 2010, 08:11:41 PM
I am not smart enough to get the pictures up...cannot get the option to pop up on the "Additional Options" to get them up.  Sorry!

Try www.tinypic.com  Can only upload one pic at a time, but works good.  it will ask what size you want.  Pick message board size.   Jeff

djkimmel

Quote from: Musky on October 12, 2010, 08:11:41 PM

When you click on Additional Options... you should see the Attach: box. When you click in that box, a File Upload box should open, or press the Browse button. It might not popup if you have popup blockers running or don't allow popups from GreatLakesBass.com.

Due to the cost of space and preserving speed, I do limit the size of graphics so if you take big pictures and upload them straight from the camera, they will probably be too big to load. the tinypic option does work good for some users.

I'm thinking about installing a picture gallery, but haven't got to it yet. It's on my todo list.

fishindude11

I was up at Burt the fist week of October and we had a real tuff time getting anything going. The fish we caught were all over 4 lbs, biggest was 6.5 but we didn't get many. Seemed like most of the lake was shallow 1-6' and rocky near shore then dropped into white sand everywhere else. Found the big rock point on the east side of the lake over near the radio tower and we never caught a fish off of that. Beautiful part of the country but just a little disappointing after smallmouth fishing on St Clair for the the last 6 years. Jeff

Firefighter Jeff

How much time did you spend on Burt???  A 6.5 would make any trip for me  !!!!!!   Oh and what dates were you there???

djkimmel

Yeah. Not too much sympathy from me neither :D

Musky

6.2 lber

5 lber

Mullet Lake Smallies

6.2 lber again
Figured out how to upload a few pictures.

Musky

baggerslimm

Nice fish!!!!!  Maybe next year for me.
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

Firefighter Jeff

Yeah  !!!!  Musky figured out how to post pics.  Man those are great looking fish !!!!  I love the smile on your face  !!!