Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Need help on Hardy

Started by STEELERBOY29, May 22, 2006, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEELERBOY29

I have a family fishing trip on Hardy Dam Pond in a couple of weeks and need some "hot tips" on locating and catching fish.? I've been on Hardy a couple of days and know the water a little bit.? I usually focus on bass, but want to find some walleye too.? I am fishing with (against) my family so bragging rights are on the line.? Any info on what, where, when, and how to catch bass and walleye would be greatly appreciated.? Thanks

Cy

I was on Hardy last Saturday for a couple of hours.  The smallies are wanting to spawn so bad they can't stand it.  In a couple of weeks they should be mostly done spawning.  So, I would think that normal summer patterns will apply, meaning you can just about catch them any where.

Most of the guys I know that do well on walleyes in Hardy do so with jigging spoons.  They will run main lake points and rip spoons off the bottom.  I have also caught them on Shad Raps in the past along the drop offs.

I don't have a ton of info but I hope it helps.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

STEELERBOY29

Thanks for the info.  I'm just looking for whatever edge I can get.  Sounds like the smallies will be done spawning very soon and then I hope they're really hungry by the time we get up there.  I've never walleye fished so that info helps too.  Thanks again.

djkimmel

Most of the walleye I've caught in the main lake have come deep off structure - ledges and underwater points - 20 to 30+ feet. It can be hard to find these sweet spots, but once you do, there's usually a bunch in a fairly small area. We get them with blade baits - kind of like jigging spoons.

If your time is limited that might be challenging to find these spots. There's not a lot of good maps going around on this lake.

I've caught a few walleyes on suspending jerkbaits around weed clumps on deeper flats closer to the lake. Lots of pike too. This lake is FULL of pike. Low light periods on the flats will be best.

I think it may be easier though to go up the lake past the houseboat marina and fish the river bends and flats for walleye, pike and bass. You might be able to get them up there on jerkbaits, crankbaits and spinnerbaits without having to fish real deep. The edges and outside bends seem to attract more walleye while the thick weed areas are also thick with pike.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

STEELERBOY29

Thanks for that info.  I know the marina you mentioned so that should help me hone in.  I'm pretty handy with jerkbaits, cranks, and spinnerbaits.  Jigging spoons is another story.  I've got some in my box, but can't say they ever been wet.  I'm a bass fisherman by nature, but want to get into walleyes too.  This info should help.  Hopefully the fish will cooperate.  If we get skunked, it won't be from lack of effort or equipment.  We'll see what happens.  Thanks again.

fasttrack

Hi Steelerboy. What dates are you going? I will be up there in a week or so. I'll tell ya what I see (if anything!) assuming I go before you do. The last two years there were still some spawners up to the middle of June, but most were done. I've had some past success fishing the breaklines off of spawning flats and coves this time of year. Topwater baits early, wacky-rigged senkos around structure (rocks/wood), and pumpkinseed tubes on the steeper dropoffs. If you have some wind you could burn a chartruce spinnerbait or even a rattletrap. I've seen all parts of the lake (river) be productive at times so I cant tell you specific areas. Two years ago had a good tournament upstream (river portion) in early June, and last year the lake portion towards the dam seemed to be more productive. So who knows. Good luck!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

djkimmel

Hey fasttrack - you got your first post under your belt! Hope to see some more.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

STEELERBOY29

Hey fasttrack.  My family is going up there from June 11th - 18th.  Unfortunately, I won't be up there until the 14th.  We're all camping at Brower County Park.  I'll be out of town on business from the May 30th - June 7th, so don't let your feelings get hurt if you don't hear anything from me.  It would be great if you could let me know what areas were productive for you and how you were catching them.  Since my family will have a headstart on me, I have to get on the fish quickly when I do get up there.  Let me know how you do.  Good luck to you!

fasttrack

I will certainly be up there before you then (probably 2-3 times) so hopefully I can give you a good report. Just tell your family not to beat up the water too bad on/before Sat 6/10 'cause thats when my tournament is! Our weigh-in is at Brower at noon so maybe they can come watch.
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

STEELERBOY29

You won't have to worry about my family.  The earliest they will get up there will be the 11th.  Besides, I'm the best fisherman of the bunch!  What tournament do you have?  How big is it?  I'm going out on White Lake this weekend visiting the inlaws in Whitehall/Montague.  It'll be my last chance to get my new boat out before the big Hardy Dam family tournament.  Have to make sure everything is working flawlessly.