Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:30:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Erie Open Tx Diary May 6th and 13th

Started by SethV, May 15, 2006, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethV

After moving out of western NY a few years ago to Oklahoma, I still continued to make the trip back to Erie every year to fish a few events.  Now, living in Detroit, I am much closer (45 min to west end, 5 hrs to the east side) and can once again spend lots of time on the big pond. 

May 6th, 2006

I left work on Friday night right after work and headed to Buffalo, NY for the first event of the year.  After making the 5 hour drive from Detroit, I grabbed a bite to eat and went to sleep.  I was up at 4:30 to make the short drive to the Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo.  For this tournament, I am fishing with Charlie, a friend and fishing partner who lives in Rochester, NY.  Because he only had 1 hour to drive to get to the launch, we elected to take his Ranger and leave mine at home.  These tournaments in early May are team events, with a 2 fish limit.

The sun came up and it was a nice morning with what seemed to be a gentle north wind.  Our time came for blast off, and we made the short run to the south gap of the harbor and headed out into Lake Erie.  Inside the harbor, there was a small ripple, outside we found a completely different animal.  The north wind kicked up some serious chop, with waves running 2 to 3 feet.  Not a big deal, but it can be a bit bumpy.  On the way out, we had 1 relatvily hard landing, and I noticed the lower edge of the passenger side windshield seemed to come loose.  The next thing I knew, it came completely loose, ripped over backwards when the wind got under it.  It bounced off of my head and was gone.  Wow, smacked in the head and I have not even got to the fish yet!  We travled the last 6 miles without incident and began to fish.

We had no chance to prefish for this event, so we were going in ?blind?.  Having some history of what these fish should do in early May with 47 degree water, we decided to start on the outer edges of the off shore humps in 27 to 30 feet of water.  I started with a green and orange tube, while Charlie was using green and black.  Within 2 minutes, I had the first one of the day, a 4 ? lb smallie.  Not a big fish, but it is a start.  We drifed up on top of the hump to 22 feet of water, and caught another small fish.  We repositioned for another drift, and caught a 6 lb fish right back in the same 28? location as the first keeper.  With about 10 ? lbs in the boat for our 2 fish limit, we knew we needed to upgrade that smaller fish.  It was an odd day on the lake, I continued to catch fish, while Charlie could not get bit for anything!  We never did figure it out.  I did not have a killer day, only getting between 15 and 20, but he only ended up with 1 fish.  We found that the fish would move around the outer edges, following bait.  We would catch 2 or 3 and then we would lose the bait for awhile.  Best thing seemed to be the green and orange tube.  I did get a few on the drop shot.  The spoon bite was really off.

The ride back to the harbor was painful.  The wind had built up to a strong west wind.  We were 12 miles out, and had to go straight east, with the waves to get home.  As the waves build on Erie, they do not space out, they are vertical walls of water, all breaking.  Most were in the 4? range, but there were series of rouge 6? monsters mixed in.  It is intimidating when you come over the top of a wave, and just see a huge vertical wall of water that is taller than you are right in front of you.  Charlie did a great job driving, and although we took a pounding and the GoreTex got a work out, we made it back ok.  After we loaded the boat on the trailer, we noticed the cowling was loose.  The pounding broke the lower rear cowling mount?shattered the thick steel bracket.  That lake is mean.

We never did find a kicker fish, and just missed the $ with our best 2 going 10.89 lbs.  It took 11.2 to get a check (2 fish limit).

May 13, 2006

Back to Buffalo for another tournament.  Same thing as last week, 2 fish limit, fish with Charlie, try to find the bigger fish!  Charlie had his boat fixed from the week before and we were ready to go again!

We drew out boat number 13?that has to be a good sign!  We decided to head back to the same general area as the week before, but focus on a small ridge that we found near the end of the day last week.  It is not on a map.  It is about 50 yards long, with a sharp 4? drop on the west side.  Perfect.

The ride out was much better than last week.  The lake was like glass, not a ripple?..but it was not flat by any means!  The rollers were left over from the wind the day before. They were well spaced, and we could comfortably run them at 45-50 mph.  Trim down to keep the boat planted and go.  Weird sight seeing a smooth but ?lumpy? lake.

We started on the ridge, and the bite was slow.  With no wind, the bite is usually slow.  Charlie caught a dink 3 lb fish on the spoon.  I followed up with a 4 lb fish.  Well, a 7 lb limit is not going to help, we needed to find something bigger.  We narrowed our search to the north end of the ridge, where we found a large group of baitfish.  I was able to replace the 3 lb fish with a 5 ? lb  fish.  I then hooked something huge.  Never saw what it was.  I played with it for 10 minutes, I don?t think she even realized she was hooked.  Swimming wherever it pleased, slowly ripping drag.  As I worked it closer to the boat, just out of sight it came unhooked.  Bummer.  It was no smallie, but would have been fun to see it (sturgeon, musky??).

We continued to work the small ridge, catching numerous 4 lb fish, but no kickers.  At about 11 AM, I hooked a nice smallie, our best one of the day at 6.78 lbs.  We tried all day to upgrade the 5 lber, but never could.  The number of 4 lb smallies on this lake is astounding.

On the way back to weigh in, we ran into a rain storm, thank goodness for a helmet and GoreTex.  At least the waves were flat.

Our 2 fish limit weighed 12.24 lbs and was good enough for the win.  Our big fish at 6.78 was also good for first place lunker.

These were a couple of fun weekends, now I need to get ready for the Michigan division BFL.

Thanks for reading!
Seth V

Team houston

Cheetam

Quote from: Team houston on May 15, 2006, 10:10:32 AM
Good read, Thanks

Yeah, definitely!  Good job on the win and on the 6.7...nice fish...
Jeff

Dan

Great job Seth. I could read articles like that all day. Sounds like a great time except for the pounding. Guys that haven't ever been on St. Clare or Erie have no clue to the type of ride you sometimes have to endure on the Great Lakes. A great thread would be to put some general driving tips on for those of us that have limited big lake driving experience. Thanks again for a great read.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Best I can do on short notice:

Big Water Boating

Walleye Boats for Big Water Bass

Great to hear about the big ones being caught Seth (although you may hurt my feelings talking about catching the 'little' 4 pounders...)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.