Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:49:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Trailer lights don't work

Started by Mike S., June 15, 2010, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I just bought an older Nitro the other day, and none of the trailer lights work.  I bought a new light kit, and still nothing.  The trailer has a swing away tongue, but the pin hasn't been out in forever.  The ground is behind where the tongue swings, or at least where it's supposed to swing.  There is a ground wire, or so it appears to be, that runs from the swing hinge up to the tongue.  Do I need to have a ground to both parts of the swing away?  I energized the wiring harness last night with a battery charger, and got power all the way to the back of the trailer, but the old lights were junk, and full of water.  Today I can't get any power to the back.  I grounded my test light to the exact same spot, and nothing.  Please help.

djkimmel

Are you testing with the trailer hitched to your vehicle? With some trailers, I've always thought the ground goes through the hitch to the ball on the tow vehicle also, not just through the wiring. If this is a duh question, just ignore me, but it is often the simple things. Being a computer nerd, I always start with the simple things and work my way up.

There has to be a breach somewhere obviously. I have several ground wires going to the trailer on my Ranger Trail.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Cy

Mike,

Keep in mind that you are dealing with a car, so all ground wires must eventually make it back to the battery.  I would clean all the ground connections on the trailer and check any grounds that are near the hitch on the truck.  Also keep in mind that sometimes the lights will ground through the trailer not through the wires.  You can also use your test light to find good grounds, by hooking it to a power source and grounding it.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

thedude

if the hitch receiver itself isn't grounded (from the ball to the tongue of the trailer) you will have lighting issues. make sure the hitch receiver, pin, pin-holes and ball are clear of surface rust. I used to be able to turn my hitch pin and make the lights go on and off on my old truck. Also check any fuses both under the dash and hood (relays) - if the original lights were shorted out you might have blown a fuse before you installed the new ones.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods