Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:49:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Canadian boater crossing regs....

Started by motocross269, May 28, 2010, 07:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

I have seen alot of traffic this spring on other sites about changes to the Canadian regs as far as boater crossings and the need to call in......

I called the Canadian reporting agency this morning and they said nothing has changed you only need to call in if you anchor or come ashore in Canada....
The number that I called is..1-888-226-7277 if you want to confirm yourself..Which may not be a bad idea....I never trust anything that I read on the internet that is why I called myself..

Here is a directory of numbers relating to boating and entering Canada..

http://boating.ncf.ca/linksgov.html#customs

motocross269

There is conflicting information coming out of Canada on this....Mini Called the CBSA and got a different answer....They told him all boats crossing into Canadian waters need to call in Regardless....Some new law that came out in March 2010...Sounds like the different agencies aren't talking...

I guess stay tuned...

MadWags

You can not bring American bought Canadian beer into Canada. All Canadian beer must be purchased in Canada using an approved Brew Consumer Card you can get only at the bridge crossing on Tuesdays. Just an FYI
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

That could complicate your tournaments!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I did my usual rounds this spring at the shows asking the same questions of several US and Canuck. As usual I got a couple conflicting answers. A yute officer said that other guy wouldn't know what he was talking about when I mentioned my consternation.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Dan, I hate to post about a thread on another site but I don't want to rehash 9 pages of information....There is a post on lakestclair.net about crossing into Canadian waters to fish....If you fish Canadian waters you are going to want to go over there and read it....

Basically if you are going into Canada to Fish by boat you have to call in....I don't have a clue on how all of that works but hopefully things get ironed out in the next month or so....

SethV

Until I see the law (not some other web page) that says fishing is "arrival in Canada" then I won't worry about it.  If I don't touch Canadian soil or drop anchor, I have not arrived.

Drifting the river (like near Fawn island) you may "cross" the border 100 times a day.  Am I supposed to call each time?  LOL

River Walker

Being that I fish the Pelee Island area quite often,I did call Canada to get an explanation.The way I understand it is the laws have definitely changed from last year.Last year you could fish Canadian waters as long as you didn't anchor,touch a Canadian boat,or go ashore for any reason.This year the law says that if you enter Canadian waters for any reason,including fishing,you have to make the call.The person I spoke to says that they have been writing out warnings like crazy,I guess after you have received a warning,the next time you get caught they will confiscate your boat and make you pay a fine.Like Seth said if you're out fishing and you cross over into Canadian waters several times during the day,how can they expect you to call each time? This was a government employee I spoke with,so I'm assuming this is a real issue.Looks like I won't be fishing Pelee this year,or at least until this matter gets resolved.

motocross269

Quote from: SethV on June 01, 2010, 03:10:26 PM
Until I see the law (not some other web page) that says fishing is "arrival in Canada" then I won't worry about it.  If I don't touch Canadian soil or drop anchor, I have not arrived.

Drifting the river (like near Fawn island) you may "cross" the border 100 times a day.  Am I supposed to call each time?  LOL

I have just been reading the info that John Maniaci has been puting out on LSCN..It sounds like he has spent some time back and forth with Canadian officials on this...I would consider him a reliable source.....

I just want to know the bottom line..Where do we have to call from and what are our options....??? 

Is this just a way to get everyone to buy Nexus cards??

Mini

Yes its true. I will try to tell you the cliff notes version.

You cross the imaginary line and call 1-888-226-7277. This is the NON Nexus number. If you have a Nexus card you will have a different number to call (more on Nexus cards later). Once you talk to the CBSA (Canadian Border Security Authority) you will be instructed to go to a CANPASS approved inspection station and will be given a time to expect a CBSA official (it can be up to 4 hours). There are a few on the Canadian side, pretty much at most major ports. If the inspector does not show at the time promised you are pretty much free to go, but you can bet without a Nexus card you will be asked for documentation (passport, drivers license and birth certificate). You will be given a boaters registration number and you have now officially entered Canada.

Then upon your return to the US you must report back in to US Customs (I am unsure of the number at this time). You will need the same documentation and an I68 form. The I68 form can only be acquired from the INS office in Port Huron or the office in Detroit. You have to be fingerprinted, photographed (actually I think you have to provide them) and interviewed. There will be a background check on you as well prior to you receiving an I68. It is good for 3 years. If you do not have an I68 form you will be instructed to go an official point of entry (you guessed it....Port Huron or Detroit) where you will be inspected and have to show your passport, drivers license and birth certificate.

If you do have a Nexus card, you call the number that pertains to that, give them your info and they give you a boaters registration number (I think its an 18 digit number). If you are pulled over by the authorities you can give them that number and all should be good. In order to obtain a Nexus card you must report to Canadian Customs in (you guessed it) Port Huron or Detroit. You will be photographed, finger printed, interviewed and a background check will be done. If you have any outstanding warrants, any felony convictions, misdemeanor convictions, DUI's, are found to be a member of an organization (or former member) that Canada deems as a terrorist org......you can and will be denied entry into their country. If denied you can apply for a rehabilitation exemption and it will cost $250. There may be more costs to prove you have been rehabilitated.

In order to obtain an I68 you will have to go through the same procedures as above (except the rehab exemption, unsure if the US has one of those. I do believe the application fee for an I68 is $50, unsure about the Nexus card application fee but I think I have heard $150. 

ALL PERSONS ON BOARD MUST HAVE THESE DOCUMENTS....so in a draw tournament...well you get the idea.

So.........there you have it. I wish it wasnt true....I for one will not be fishing in Canada until this is changed nor will I be fishing in tournaments that are open to Canadian waters. I know there will be people that risk it. And by doing that they are illegally crossing an international border and that would fall under a rule violation (depending on the tournament) and I consider that to be cheating.

Mini

I guess cheating is a harsh term. I will stick with a rule violation.

motocross269

They have already got 75 dollars for my license.... >:(

This should make the BASS Open interesting...Puts alot of water off limits when launching out of the south Detroit river.....

I would be willing to bet that alot of Local Opens will be closing down Canadian waters.....It is going to make fishing the LSC River about Null and void....

SethV

Mini, I know you "talked" to someone, but I want to see the law in writing that defines "arrival" in Canada.  I always carry my passport in my boat, but I have no plans to call in or anything of the sort UNTIL I see a clear defined law.

Mini

Then call and ask for it! The rules have been that way for years (i think) and there was an agreement to allow people to come and go as long as they dont land. if you want to play the game, then get your warning go ahead. the second time your boat is gone.

call the number and ask for yourself.....maybe they will send you a letter explaining it to you.

Team houston

Realistically, the only way to solve this is for everybody to call or e-mail and tell them you will never buy a Canadien license again or spend another dime in Canada again. If enough people do it they may reconsider but I doubt it. All this is, is another money grab like the outdoors cards. Motocross is right.

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

tcmono

I think, based on my reading of the US CBA site, that the NEXUS card can be used instead of the I68 when returning to the US side.

There are a TON of check in points on the Canadian side for NEXUS card holders . . .

To, me it looks like either stay out of Canada or get a NEXUS card . . .

Team houston

Mini

correct on the fee and the fact that a nexus can be used in place of an I68....

I am still learning this myself.

Mini

Quote from: tcmono on June 02, 2010, 10:11:25 AM
I think, based on my reading of the US CBA site, that the NEXUS card can be used instead of the I68 when returning to the US side.

There are a TON of check in points on the Canadian side for NEXUS card holders . . .

To, me it looks like either stay out of Canada or get a NEXUS card . . .

Correct. The worst part is tournament fishing or guiding. ALL people on board need a nexus card. And you still can be aslked to report to an inspection station even if you do have a nexus card, from either side US or Canada. If you have to report to a US Customs Inspection Station it is either Port Huron or Detroit. Thats alot of running and gas....

I actually think it would be easier to run tournaments out of Canada since they can still come and go in our waters.....you will be able to also if you go through customs via truck and trialer.....