Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:15:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2011 Michigan Bass Regulations Proposal Petition

Started by wounded minnow, April 08, 2010, 10:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wounded minnow

Please take a moment to read and sign the petition. If we can get enough public support, we stand a very good chance of making this a reality...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/michiganbassregulations/

Dan

Interesting, but I find it a little funny that there is an option for petition signers names to be published, but that the petition circulators name is not available. Before I would add my name to any petition, I would like to know who is circulating it. That's just me.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

wounded minnow

Easy, the first signature is me!

Kory W. Boozer

Just a side note: I figured it would be available due to the extensive amount of stuff I had to fill out to create the petition. Guess not, but not trying to hide or anything. I am not some big wig Bass angler, just merely a Michigan resident who lives on a reservoir in the Saint Joseph River system and would love to be able to chase some Smallies during what is now the "closed season". After speaking with a MDNR employee it would appear this could be a possible change that could be made if there is enough support, therefore I started the petition...

SethV

Cy

I signed the petition but I want to clear up the verbiage in the petition. 

Petition States:

"This petition is in regards to changing the current Michigan Bass regulations in order to do away with the current closed season in all areas of the state and change it to a catch & release season. The current catch & release seasons in all areas would stay the same as would the current open seasons in all areas."

The first line says to me that we want a statewide catch and release season, expect when we have catch and keep, IE: Sat before Memorial Day to December.

Then the second line tells me we want no changes to the current C & R season nor changes to the C & K season.

???

Are we asking for No Closed Season aka catch and keep all the time or are we asking for a longer Catch and Immediate Release Season or are we asking for a Catch and Immediate Release Season Only, meaning no catch and keep.  I didn't find the petition to be very clear on what we want.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want this to be clear so we don't end up with less then what we started with.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

gr@ssmonkey

i think it clearly states that we want a catch and immediately realease season where we know have a closed season and everything else will stay the same,sat. before mem. still will be tournament season or catch and keep..........i'm for no season at all.... :-\'

wounded minnow

The ONLY change I am petitioning for is to take the current CLOSED season all over the state and make it immediate CATCH & RELEASE. I am not petitioning for any other change than that.

I see this as a realistic goal and one that would benefit a lot of different entities WITHOUT hurting the resource we all enjoy so much.

MadWags

I signed the petition but would prefer it asked for a lifting of any seasonal restriction for targeting bass. Obviously I would like to see the bag limit at 5 fish per angler but see no reason to seperate a catch and release from a catch and keep season although I am not opposed to it. It just makes more sense to ask for more than you expect to recieve so that it appears that you are reaching a compromise.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

t-bone

Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

wounded minnow

I spoke with a source at the Michigan DNR today in regards to this petition.

Basically I was told the best route to get this really given some serious consideration would be to get as many "clubs" involved as possible. Not just Bass fishing clubs, but also Musky fishing groups and any Walleye fishing groups I could. The reason being, a large part of the reasoning behind having a closed season for Bass is due to the fact it's tough for the Conservation Officers to enforce against people fishing during the closed Walleye season or Musky/Pike season if Bass fishing is open as the angler could just say "I am fishing for Bass". Therefore if we could get the groups who support the Walleye and Musky/Pike fishery to support the ending of a closed Bass season there would likely be zero resistance from the Michigan DNR to end the closed season on Bass fishing.

So if any of you know of any Bass, Walleye or Musky/Pike clubs please do what you can to spread the word and get all the support you can. This is something that we can get changed, it will just take support from a lot of people. This petition is just a start, but is a great way to show how serious we are. If you know of any other forums or any other type of fishing related sites, please post a link to the petition.

Mike S.

Signed it.  We need a whole lot more signatures than 36 to get this done.  I understand that it just went up, so hopefully our voices are heard.  Good job on starting this.

1javelin

Live to fish, Fish to live.

djkimmel

As discussed on the other thread, easiest way to get other types of clubs signed on (if possible) is for someone to get on the MUCC fisheries committee and get them to agree to it.

Getting this accomplished will be one of the main obstacles for more change.

Of course, I have always felt that to punish good people because of a few bad ones is not right even if it seems easier. If someone keeps a fish out of season, give them a ticket. Otherwise, leave them alone except for special needs.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

Quote from: djkimmel on April 08, 2010, 11:08:47 PM
As discussed on the other thread, easiest way to get other types of clubs signed on (if possible) is for someone to get on the MUCC fisheries committee and get them to agree to it.

Of course, I have always felt that to punish good people because of a few bad ones is not right even if it seems easier. If someone keeps a fish out of season, give them a ticket. Otherwise, leave them alone except for special needs.

and how would one go about getting on the MUCC fisheries committee

wounded minnow

I personally would like to give more credit than is being given to the Conservation Officers. The two local CO's around here I have no doubt in my mind could easily tell if someone was Bass fishing or Walleye/Pike/Musky fishing. They weren't born yesterday and do this for a living.

So the whole argument that it's to make it easier for CO's to make sure nobody is chasing other species during their closed season in my opinion doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

Cy

Quote from: bigjc on April 08, 2010, 11:40:02 PM
Quote from: djkimmel on April 08, 2010, 11:08:47 PM

and how would one go about getting on the MUCC fisheries committee

I was wondering that too.  Dan can you give us some details?
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

MadWags

Quote from: wounded minnow on April 09, 2010, 07:46:22 AM
I personally would like to give more credit than is being given to the Conservation Officers. The two local CO's around here I have no doubt in my mind could easily tell if someone was Bass fishing or Walleye/Pike/Musky fishing. They weren't born yesterday and do this for a living.

So the whole argument that it's to make it easier for CO's to make sure nobody is chasing other species during their closed season in my opinion doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

This has always been my position, however, CO's should not be tasked with determining what an angler is fishing for. Fishing season is either open or closed. Now possesion is a different story. Some of these cases have been tried in a court of law and the angler usually comes out on top. You can't ticket an angler for illegal fishing on a body of water that has an open fishing season, if he is not in possesion of any fish. It is tough for a CO to prove that the angler intended for a particular fish to bite a lure. Be it a bass, pike, walleye, muskie, drum, carp, blue gill, crappie, perch..... I have caught them all on the same lure.

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Fishmael

Don't forget catfish...I've caught more than one on those stinky gulp drop shot gobies...I caught what probably would have been the state record freshwater drum on Muskegon on a jerkbait before I knew what the current record was.  Of course I threw it back without second thought...

I think if the DNRE tried to make the argument for not extending the season, one could legitimately refer to their success in getting prior tickets through.  If they can't enforce it, even when it is law, how would extending the C&R season really change anything?

MadWags

True! Also Salmon and Sturgeon. You really never know what you are going to catch when fishing I don't care what species you are fishing for.

Cy

Quote from: MadWags on April 09, 2010, 09:00:07 AM
Quote from: wounded minnow on April 09, 2010, 07:46:22 AM

This has always been my position, however, CO's should not be tasked with determining what an angler is fishing for. Fishing season is either open or closed. Now possesion is a different story. Some of these cases have been tried in a court of law and the angler usually comes out on top. You can't ticket an angler for illegal fishing on a body of water that has an open fishing season, if he is not in possesion of any fish. It is tough for a CO to prove that the angler intended for a particular fish to bite a lure. Be it a bass, pike, walleye, muskie, drum, carp, blue gill, crappie, perch..... I have caught them all on the same lure.

I agree 100% with Wags.  If you don't have fish in the box...who is to say that you're not just a novice that fishes for Blue Gills with a stick bait or dog fish with a rattle trap because you don't know any better?  I don't know how you can control fishing for one species and not another...I don't think you can.  That's why we have closed seasons and that's why the C & R Bass season opens when Walleye and Pike do.  However I do think that you can open a season for C & R all species and have a separate catch and keep season for all species.  Those that are going to catch and keep fish during the C & R already fish out of season and those that follow the law now will continue to.  Those that just love to fish and catch and release will be thrilled with new regulations and so will the tackle shops.  Shoot if the state whats their cut have a license for each season.  You are required to pay more to fish the C & R season.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net