Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2011 Michigan Bass Regulations Proposal Petition

Started by wounded minnow, April 08, 2010, 10:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: Dinkfinder on April 24, 2010, 10:15:43 PM
Ok, I have read the petition, every posting...I am a bit lost Why do we "need" this?

I have not seen or read any real reason why this is needed...

Am I correct that it is a "want"?

Just trying to understand, the process and reason behind this

How do you classify needs & wants?  Water is a "need", food is a "need".  Catching Bass during one of the most exciting times of the year is "want", not having to lie about bass fishing on 80 degree days the 1st week of April is a "want", not having to drive down to Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Texas, and Florida to fish a tournament in April is a "want", producing some of the sickest fishing video's ever before seen is a "want". 

Try watching your Todd Glover Video 1 again (looking forward to more of this stuff by the way - nice work!); Todd clearly lays out the deal about how great the bass fishing in Michigan when he talks about how the TN & KY guys that come up here are so shocked that we have such awesome fishing - the reason those guys are shocked is because Michigan does NOTHING to promote it's Bass Fishing and seems to actually discourage Tournament Fishing which is the real economic stimulator. 

So to answer your question directly this petition is the start of what the state with the worst economy in the country "needs".  Right now there are probably over 200 trucks and boats driving down to Indiana to fish a tournament; why because they can't fish a tournament here in Michigan and this is the best time of year to fish.  Why can't we fish a tournament here in Michigan - because the Bass Anglers have not gotten together to collectively agree on anything and seem to be OK with picking up the majority of the tab for walleye, steelhead, and other species to be stocked and studied while they sit and wait for a random day in April to even be able to go out and admittingly fish for bass.  I would have to say that each of these Michigan anglers spends about $300 to $1000 dollars on a trip to Patoka or Wawasee; and because Indiana uses common sense they will see all of that money spent in their state. 

Wouldn't it have been nice to go out with Todd Glover and film Part One on Lake Orion the 1st week in April when water temps were already in the mid-50's and as he is talking about the big fish he sticks a piggy on camera?  But you couldn't have filmed that because it is "illegal" to target bass; it just wouldn't be fair to the walleye and musky anglers who pale in comparison to the amount of bass anglers in the state. Is that a "need" for you - no it isn't but I hope it would be a "want" simply for your business.  The entire thing boils down to misinformation and politics; Michigan "needs" all the help it can get and this petition is the start of something trying to meet those "needs".  No one gains from not allowing C&R earlier here; and not being able to fish a tournament that is simply just a delayed version of the current Early Catch & Release isn't doing anyone but Indiana any favors - the fish do not benefit from this if you look all the research available.

As far as the process that is something that DK can help you with because he has already went through it - he won that long and stressful battle (we were less than a stones throw away from looking at a July 1st opener so General DK deserves his 5th Star for that one!  An induction the Sport Fishing Hall of Fame follow). This petition aims at winning another battle - winning the war on common sense should be the goal of all Bass Anglers in Michigan; until we put egos aside and start agreeing that this is a "need" this could last longer Iraq (I started the war based theme so I thought I'd just go with it!)

Does that help at all or did the rambling rant further confuse?  Would your business benefit from being able to produce some of the hottest fishing action ever seen?  It might not be a "need" or even or a "want" for you but for Michigan businesses and residents it most definitely is a "need".

Dan posted a few while typing my usual essay - my vote is to draft something similar but with language that differentiates Harvest and Possesion so Todd Glover's KY & TN boys don't ask him to come down there; instead they'll have it on their calendar to be here for a couple of weekends in April and early May.  Even if it is a limited number of tourney permits or something on larger bodies we just shouldn't have to go spend all that money in other states in April and May especially when have far superior water with far superior fishing.  Maybe throw in some Toyota Share A Lunker verbage too (this is a dream but I guess you never know!) - think of what that program would do with the Smallies on St. Clair! 
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

Dinkfinder

wounded minnow

Well, May 15th has come and gone, there is a total of 205 signatures which in reality, is not enough support to really make a difference. I can say it saddens me people would not be happy with just being able to fish, 90% of the emails I got were, I could care less if it's open if I can't fish tournaments, which maybe it's because I'm just a fish bum who enjoys fishing and has no desire to compete but seems rather ridiculous to me. To each his own though and not knocking anyone.

I will print the signatures and send it in to the DNR, but don't see it going anywhere, every organization that I was told would need to support it has stated they do not without further studies being done on the impact it would have. Pretty much everyone agrees you can't compare our fishery to that of Southern States or even surrounding states. I'm no biologist so have no real opinion, I would love to chase Smallies early in the year and know what I would be doing would have no negative impact on the fishery, but maybe it would if I was farther North as many people seem to think it would.

Durand Dan

Although the response, 200+ signatures out of 1400+ members is far from a valid statistical sampling, it would seem to indicate that the majority is not in favor of a longer tournament season or are indifferent towards the prospect. With all the work it took for Dan K. and his group to get an extended catch and release season and the give and take that occurred (losing a month of C&R on 6 inland lakes)I would say this endeavor might be fruitless. (Just my opinion)

djkimmel

Hang in their a short time guys. I haven't even talked to the MDNRE about this yet, but I have already heard through the grapevine that feelers have been put out to others from THEIR direction. That is a good sign.

I realize some people just want to have more tournaments, but that really is another, separate issue with its own challenges and needs. (Some also want to have less tournaments during the hot months by having some during the cool months, which is an interesting alternative.)

We definitely can't have them if there is no season. Change is hard for many people and takes time. I have some things in the works to help this process out. I wish I could get them done faster, but all things take time. There are many, many more anglers who just want to fish for bass and I think of everyone with these types of changes. It is with the numbers that we can get things changed, not just with members from this site. I noticed there were people on that petition who are not members of this site.

Please be patient and think of the end goal. More bass fishing as long as the resource can allow it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

DennisB.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

troossien1

What will this do for tournament fishing? is this a strict catch and delayed release proposal?
Kistler rods

djkimmel

I believe that petition was written just to allow a longer catch and immediate release season only.

Skulley

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com