Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anyone drive/tow with a GMC Envoy SUV?

Started by Waterfoul, February 26, 2010, 10:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Looking at one right now... it's an 02 and spotless. SLT version and LOADED to the gills. 4.2 liter straight 6. Drove it for nearly an hour today. Saw a consistant 18 mph on the computer at 75 on the freeway... which is about as good as my 3.0 liter Ford Escape does.

I really liked the ride, the power is decent, and the price is right.

Looking for 1st hand knowledge on the vehicle. Seems like it should tow quite well.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

used to tow my rig with my dad's envoy when i still had the danger ranger. same model exactly actually.
tows pretty good, the transmission has an auxillary fan on it which makes it sound like a diesel and run like a dog when towing for extended periods in high heat.... for reference - i only ever heard it after driving for at least an hour in 90 degree heat doing stop-n-go on the back roads. figure on getting about 11-12mpgs towing... the 6 has plenty of power, but gets pretty thirsty under load. i towed my boat 900 miles to canada and back in it with 4 people in the car - no worries.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

fasttrack

Hmmm. only 11-12 mpg towing isn't any better than my '01 F150 with a Triton V-8. I might rather have the extra power available not to mention heavier-duty tranny/brakes/etc of a full size truck if mpg is essentially equal. I'm sure it would be a nice vehicle - just throwin out another thought for you. My dad could tell ya what he knows about the durability of that engine if ya want to get in touch with him.
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

Waterfoul

Quote from: fasttrack on February 27, 2010, 09:09:20 AM
Hmmm. only 11-12 mpg towing isn't any better than my '01 F150 with a Triton V-8. I might rather have the extra power available not to mention heavier-duty tranny/brakes/etc of a full size truck if mpg is essentially equal. I'm sure it would be a nice vehicle - just throwin out another thought for you. My dad could tell ya what he knows about the durability of that engine if ya want to get in touch with him.

Don't want a truck as I like to keep a lot of gear in my SUV, and a Tahoe/Yukon won't fit in my garage (too tall because of the roof racks).  This 4.2 liter 6 has more HP than your F150 Marc, so I'm not worried about the power at all.  Also has a tranny cooler and full tow package.  Heck, my Escape only gets 12-13 towing the Triton and only manages around 18 on the freeway so the mileage is a wash from what I'm getting now.

I've looked at a LOT of vehicles in the last month.  I like the Explorer too... but haven't been able to find one in my price range that's not all beat up (and their front ends are suspect... roomate has one and it goes thru wheel bearings).  And the 4.0 in the Explorer gets less mpg than the Envoy.   If it fit in the garage I'd have a Yukon/Tahoe in a heartbeat.  The Envoy/Trailblazer/Explorer is a great compromise.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Waterfoul

I'm going to ask if I can drive it for the weekend and see how I like it as a daily driver.  If the roads were nicer I'd go hook up to the boat but I'm not going to drage it around on snowy/slushy roads.

LipRip

SUV's are for sallies! sack up and get a truck, sissy! ;D

thedude

more HP, less torque i think (i went from that to the 5.4l f150 too mark :) ). I think that 6 has like 285HP, but my old f150 pulling a boat would beat it off the line any day, plus the heavier truck w/out independent suspension is nicer to tow with. I drive a 10,000lb diesel now - takes a hurricane to feel the boat back there now  ;D

But  seriously that envoy will pull your boat all day long with no issues. i made trips from chicago to sandusky as well Dryden, ontario in it and your boat isn't much heavier than mine. Actually my Dad still has it, drove it to Scottsdale AZ and its the car they use down there when they snowbird. Its got well over 100k on it now.  

The boat will wag and jerk you you a bit - but after towing with an escape for a couple seasons, you'll think its a huge improvement.  for as much as you tow mike, you might want to think about those helper-bags on the rear-suspension. don't really think you'll need them, but you'll probably get a little more life out of the rear end that way - that kind of weight can't be great for an independent susp. Also they are good in the snow, i think they have open diffs so your 4x4 is really 1 in front, 1 in back - but thats pretty much common on any suv.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Mike S.

Can't go wrong going from a Ford to a GM vehicle.  My buddy tows his drag car with a Trail Blazer.  That thing on a trailer with tools, and everything else you need to go racing, weighs way more than a loaded bass boat.  You won't have any problems.

River Rat

I just got an '06 Trail Blazer EXT w/ that 4.2 and it is very nice!  Gotta believe w/ your Triton in tow you are going to be happy, sir.

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Cy

I bought a '05 Trailblazer in October.  I have been very happy with it so far.  I haven't towed my glass boat with it yet but I did just tow a 16' aluminum boat from GR to central IL last week and it towed fine.  One of the reasons I bought it was have to two vehicles I could tow my boat with if I needed to.  I will say the gas mileage is not any better then my full size Yukon.  I get about 14 on average in the Trailblazer...I would guess considerably less when towing.  You should buy it Mike, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Waterfoul

I think I'm buying this vehicle on Monday.

Redbone

It should work out just fine for you.  It will be a little sluggish getting going with lower ft/lbs, and it will pull you around a little bit. (like The Dude said).  If it fits in your garage. BONUS! ;D 

I would rather have that than an Explorer.  I have heard some not-so-good things about the early 2000 Explorers.

Good Luck!

Cheetam

You won't have any problems.  I pulled my 18.5 stratos with an envoy and two trailblazers.  I never had any issues with any of them.
Jeff

Puma

I have no experience with the Envoy, but I pull my Puma with a 05 Honda Pilot.  Get 15 - 18 towing, 22 - 26 hwy without.  I do have trailer brakes and good ones though.  Pulling is not the issue, you want to be sure you can stop.  Sorry guys, I tried the Ford F150, 3 times, all brand new, and all had tranny and/or engine issues.  Just got sick of it.

LipRip

Quote from: Puma on February 27, 2010, 09:05:28 PMSorry guys, I tried the Ford F150, 3 times, all brand new, and all had tranny and/or engine issues.  Just got sick of it.

Thats why you buy GM! 8)

fasttrack

Hey Mike. I wasn't tryin to talk u into or out of anything - was just throwin out somethin to think about. As I stated, I'm sure it will be a fine vehicle and will tow your boat around with no problem. I used to have a Ranger with a 4.0L V-6 as well as an Explorer. Had OK power and would get the job done for sure,  but like other said 'ya can get more tailing-action with the lighter vehicle, went trhu brakes more, wear on the lighter duty suspension and so on. You made a great point about fitting it into tight quarters - that would be an important consideration. In fact I agree with your whole reply EXCEPT - If ya think that Envoy V-6 has more HP and can out pull my truck then I see a good ole fashion country-boy pulling contest brewing! Other than that, I say but that Envoy - you'll be happy with it!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

Skulley

I tow my Champion 184FS with my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500.  It is a light duty 4.7liter small v8 which replaced the 5.2 liter v8 in the Chrysler engine lineup.  It has enough power to drag that boat all over Michigan or where ever else I go.  I bought the truck new and would never own anything else but a Dodge to pull my boat or anything else.  Of course I am a Chrysler employee so of course I would drive nothing else.  I do have a backup vehicle for towing.  It is a 2002 full size Dodge conversion van with a 5.2 liter V8.  It tows awesome.  Lots of power.  Don't pass up looking at a Dodge whether a pickup or SUV.  Jeeps are pretty good too for towing.  I towed many boats with my 1991 Cherokee before I got the truck. 

BD                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Waterfoul

Big Dog... I have owned two full sized dodge pickups.   A 94 standard cab long box with a 5.2 and a 98 Ext. cab short box 5.9.  I'm sorry to say that the 98 totally turned me off to purchasing another dodge product.  It absolutely ate front wheel bearings (dealer had no idea why), I had to have the tranny rebuilt at just over 100,000 miles, and the crank shaft broke (yes, broke!) at 143,000 miles.  That truck left a very bad taste in my mouth.  Sorry.  I'm sure their newer products have been improved and maybe in the future I would consider buying one.  But for now I'm looking for a SUV that meets my needs.

Mike S.

I don't know anyone personally, who has been happy with their Dodge.  They are all major gas hogs, from what I've seen.  And, I must say, from the many people I know who have had them, quality is a major lacking.  I can think of 3 friends who have bought 1/2 ton Rams, and all have had major transmission problems.  I know another guy that bought a 1 ton Ram diesel, and only tows a 16 foot Lund with it.  Guess what.....transmission went out.  Another buddy of mine has a newer Durango.  Major gas hog.  My dad and my buddy have newer F150's.  Turds.  That's all I can say about them.  These are just my opinions from what I have seen.  But I must say that the majority of people I know drive GM, and would own nothing else.

stackenem

Well over the past 10 years I have had 2 Z71 pickups and had to have the transmission rebuilt in both of them twice in the first one and 3 times in the second one. Now I own a dodge and have had to have the transmission rebuilt in that one also. I don't think there is a good transmission out there anymore. I have a 2000 ram 1500 with the 360 engine and I am averaging almost 16 mpg with it my Z71's I could not get over 12 with the 350 engine. I have absolutely no problems towing my boat with the dodge. The people that rebuilt this trans said if I was going to be doing alot of towing with it to have a heavy duty torque converter and a shift kit put in and it would help alot. So I did. We will see.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing