Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:57:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anyone drive/tow with a GMC Envoy SUV?

Started by Waterfoul, February 26, 2010, 10:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I'd find a better tranny shop.  My Silverado has almost 150,000 on the original drivetrain, my last Burb had 240,000 on it's original drivetrain, and pulled a 24 foot enclosed car trailer to and from the races no questions asked.  The Burb I had before that one had 150,000 or so on it when it ate the trees.  That 350 was a gas guzzler anyways.  Both of my burbs had it.  The 5.3 in the Silverado does way better on gas, even when pulling.  Everything has its flaws, and I am only speaking on what I have seen.  And, everyone has their preferences.  Not trying to put down anybody's vehicles.  Everybody drives what they like, and that's what makes us who we are.

stackenem

Maybe I am just way to easy on my trucks the only workouts they ever get is towing the boat maybe I should just drive it like I stole it once in awhile. LOL
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Redbone

I really liked my 99' dodge 3/4 with the cummings.  Massive truck and it pulled my 16' Lund like nothing was there.  Took it to Sturgis with a 26' trailer and 4 harleys in tow no problem.  But you better get your wallet out when something happens.  It's like fixing a tank.  My Chevy Avalanche is a big improvement in my book though.  The diesel was a little over kill for my needs.

So Waterfoul.... Whats the story?  Is it in the Garage?

mikesmiph

This is just like discussing politics. I think I'll pass.

LipRip

There is only one trans that is almost indestructible, and thats an Allison. But you can only get one of those is you own a GM 2500 or higher with a duramax engine.

Waterfoul

I did not make it to the dealer today... just too friggen sick. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

mikesmiph

THAT I can talk about. Get well soon Mike

Skulley

Quote from: mikesmiph on March 01, 2010, 10:15:19 PM
This is just like discussing politics. I think I'll pass.

You can say that again.  I work for Chrysler.......no matter what, I buy what I build.  At least most are driving American Vehicles......except KVD and Durand Dan.  Both drive Toyota's.  How are the accelerator pedals on those fellas??? 

BD           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

yukonjack2

I'm not getting in the politics of Ford Vs. Chevy vs.Dodge vs. other.  Just a few points of experience -

Envoy  -will have no problem towing on the HP side of things.  It depends on the boat length though vs the wheelbase length.  If its the short wheelbase envoy, and a longer double axle trailer, it will pull it fine, but the trailer will push you around some, especiall under windy and heave braking conditions.  If it is the longer wheelbase version, all the better - look at the rear edge of the rear side doos to tell - if the door is in front of the wheelwell, its the longer version, if its in the middle of the wheelwell, s the shorter version.

As far as transmissions go, GM makes a fine transmission.  Only things to look for - the towing package on the envoy adda a tranny cooler which is necessary fir towing heavier loads.  Look on the option codes on the glovebox door to see if the trailering package was factory installed.  What is the mileage ont he vehicle?  if its over 75k, was the tranny serviced (fluid and filter) ever in its life?
It should have been done once in that timeframe.  If not, be prepared to do it as it would be time.  I found that a complete fluid flush including torque converter and replace ment with full synthetic fluid will really keep that baby purring nicely all summer.  The synthetic fluid while pricey, does one thing very well - lowers the overall tranny temp under load which is the primary cause of tranny failures, overheating.  Pick your favorite flavor/color of fluid,  I prefer amsoil, but royal purple and others are very fine products as well.  Amsoil lowered the operating temps on my allison tranny almost 20F towing my 520 ranger.

Envoy is a fine driving and towing vehicle - you should be very happy with its performance, especially if you get it for the right price.

Keep us updated.
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

abu507

Pulled all over for the last 3 tears no problems pleanty of power enjoy

Waterfoul

Quote from: yukonjack2 on March 03, 2010, 10:33:13 PM
I'm not getting in the politics of Ford Vs. Chevy vs.Dodge vs. other.  Just a few points of experience -

Envoy  -will have no problem towing on the HP side of things.  It depends on the boat length though vs the wheelbase length.  If its the short wheelbase envoy, and a longer double axle trailer, it will pull it fine, but the trailer will push you around some, especiall under windy and heave braking conditions.  If it is the longer wheelbase version, all the better - look at the rear edge of the rear side doos to tell - if the door is in front of the wheelwell, its the longer version, if its in the middle of the wheelwell, s the shorter version.

As far as transmissions go, GM makes a fine transmission.  Only things to look for - the towing package on the envoy adda a tranny cooler which is necessary fir towing heavier loads.  Look on the option codes on the glovebox door to see if the trailering package was factory installed.  What is the mileage ont he vehicle?  if its over 75k, was the tranny serviced (fluid and filter) ever in its life?
It should have been done once in that timeframe.  If not, be prepared to do it as it would be time.  I found that a complete fluid flush including torque converter and replace ment with full synthetic fluid will really keep that baby purring nicely all summer.  The synthetic fluid while pricey, does one thing very well - lowers the overall tranny temp under load which is the primary cause of tranny failures, overheating.  Pick your favorite flavor/color of fluid,  I prefer amsoil, but royal purple and others are very fine products as well.  Amsoil lowered the operating temps on my allison tranny almost 20F towing my 520 ranger.

Envoy is a fine driving and towing vehicle - you should be very happy with its performance, especially if you get it for the right price.

Keep us updated.

The vehicle I was looking at has about 200,000 miles on it (owned by a 78 year old guy who drove back and forth the Florida a LOT).  The tranny was rebuilt a couple months ago, and like I said earlier drives like new.  It has the towing package but has NEVER towed a thing in it's life.  The interior looks like new.  The exterior looks like new.  This thing was pampered all it's life, just driven down the road a long ways.  All the fluids and EVERY scheduled maintenance was done to this vehicle on time, every time.  I've seen the service record.  The motor has never given a code.

I'm considering low-balling the dealer since they really seem to want to sell it to me.  I know this dealer well, several of their top salesmen are good customers of mine (I can litterally see the dealership from the parking lot of my business).  I think I will throw the auction price at them and see what they say (buddy works for an auction and gave me a price to start with).
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Skulley

I like my Dodge 1500 SLT.   ;)     It's a chick magnet!!!   :o     8)

BD        ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Durand Dan

I stand behind my Tundra. I just won't stand in front of it! ;D

Skulley

Quote from: Durand Dan on March 04, 2010, 06:26:53 PM
I stand behind my Tundra. I just won't stand in front of it! ;D

I hear that!!!!

BD              ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Redbone

200,000 is alot of miles.  You have to figure you wont be able to drive it very long unless you put some cash into it.  I havent heard of very many vehicles that are over 300,000 without changeing a head gasket or something similiar ($1,000 min).  Mostly it will be your ball joints, tierods, brakes/rotors, and anything else under the vehicle.  They all add up.  I'm sure its a nice vehicle but you have to consider everything.  Should be a steal with that many miles.

90% of the time a service engine light is an exsaust(sp?) sensor.  It never tells you when you have serious trouble ahead. And its almost impossible to tell when trouble could happen.  It could happen with 30,000 or it could happen at 500,000.  Good Luck!

River Rat

Quote from: Waterfoul on February 26, 2010, 10:38:19 PM
Looking at one right now... it's an 02 and spotless. SLT version and LOADED to the gills. 4.2 liter straight 6. Drove it for nearly an hour today. Saw a consistant 18 mph on the computer at 75 on the freeway... which is about as good as my 3.0 liter Ford Escape does.

I really liked the ride, the power is decent, and the price is right.

Looking for 1st hand knowledge on the vehicle. Seems like it should tow quite well.

Mikey,

Amongst friends, now that the details are out, can you tell the price and still say that it is worth it for 200k miles?  If you can we're all in for ya, but if it is not something to share now you might wanna sit back and think for a moment...  Just speaking from the vioce of "knee-jerk reaction himself".

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

MIBasser

I don't know what you are buying it for or what the offer is going to be, but I had an '02 Chevy Trailbalzer that I sold in '06 with 116,000 miles on it and had a hard time trying to dump it for 7k.   I had to replace the brakes once and a new set of rubber on mine.  I also had the alternator go out on Christmas eve when it was below zero out.  That was fun trip!

I liked the SUV and would buy another if I had to.   

Good luck.