Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:52:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Any suggestions on a reel for flipping?

Started by Mike S., February 05, 2010, 08:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I am looking for a reel for flipping, and that is all I will do with it.  I need something relatively inexpensive, because my wife still hasn't gotten over the shock of my $500 KVD rod and reel that I just bought, or the Grandt and Tour Edition PT that I bought.  So, I need a cheap reel that will serve it's purpose.  I am kinda looking at the Extreme reel in Bass Pro Shops for 79.99.  Anybody have one?  If so, do you like it?  Let me know what you are using.

Skulley

When I flip I use a spinning outfit. I do have bait casters with flipping switches, but I never use them.  I got a 50 dollar Bass Pro spinning reel that has the drag control on the rear.  I use a MH Ugly Stik Lite Rod.  It is fast enough in the tip and has the backbone for getting bass out of heavy cover.

BD              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Bobber

I have 2 extreme's they work pretty well. I havent had any problems with them. They arent as smooth as the more pricey reels. But they work great for $80.00

LGMOUTH

Quote from: UAWBigDog on February 05, 2010, 09:27:37 PM
When I flip I use a spinning outfit. I do have bait casters with flipping switches, but I never use them.  I got a 50 dollar Bass Pro spinning reel that has the drag control on the rear.  I use a MH Ugly Stik Lite Rod.  It is fast enough in the tip and has the backbone for getting bass out of heavy cover.

BD              ;D

I thought I was the only weird one, Its good to know that.     ;D
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

mikesmiph

I've been getting some fantastic deals on e-bay. I dont need new, I just want good. It wont be new the minute I use it anyway.

bigjc

You cannot go wrong with any real that says Quantum on it

bassassasin88

You might wanna check out the new Abu Garcia Orra. 100$. Has anyone used one of these? Don't forget about the BPS spring classic sale. I think you can get like 15$-30$ off a new reel with a trade-in, depending on the price of the new reel you get. Also, it's pretty easy to find 20$ off a 100$ purchase coupon at Dick's.

Cheetam

Too bad you said inexpensive.  I would recommend the Shimano Castaic SF for flipping/pitching.  It's a super nice reel, but doesn't qualify as inexpensive.
Jeff

Cy

Mike,

The only thing I would recommend is a high speed reel.  I started using 7.1:1 about 2 years ago and I really like them for flipping and pitching.  I feel like I catch up with the fish a little better if they run at the boat and the lbs of drag is normally good.

I was looking this reel in the BPS catalog and now I see it's on sale.  I like the 7.1:1 and the 17+ lbs of drag.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205095_100001000_100000000_100001000_100-1-0

Yes Kimmel I found a link to BPS from GLB and then pasted it in.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Durand Dan

Quote from: Cy on February 07, 2010, 07:52:51 AM
Mike,

The only thing I would recommend is a high speed reel.  I started using 7.1:1 about 2 years ago and I really like them for flipping and pitching.  I feel like I catch up with the fish a little better if they run at the boat and the lbs of drag is normally good.

I was looking this reel in the BPS catalog and now I see it's on sale.  I like the 7.1:1 and the 17+ lbs of drag.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205095_100001000_100000000_100001000_100-1-0

Yes Kimmel I found a link to BPS from GLB and then pasted it in.

Cy
I have to say, I have not had very good luck with Browning Reels. I use an Abu Garcia 5500 for flipping and pitching. It's a very basic inexpensive reel that you can load plenty of line on.

Mike S.

Quote from: bigjc on February 05, 2010, 10:53:00 PM
I like the Quantum reels.  I have 7 or 8 of them.  I have the KVD signature series combo from BPS, the 7 to 1 reel with flipping switch, but I really like running crankbaits on that one, and don't want to spool it up with braid.  I could buy just the reel for 99 bucks, but I allready have one, and I want to try something else.  The Johnny Morris signature series reel has caught my eye now.  On sale in BPS for 119.  Might have to buy that one.

Cy

I have to say, I have not had very good luck with Browning Reels. I use an Abu Garcia 5500 for flipping and pitching. It's a very basic inexpensive reel that you can load plenty of line on.
[/quote]

I don't know anything about them...I don't have one of the BPS Browning.  I have an old Browning built by Lews that is ok but has lasted a long time.  I have been used Shimano for a long time and Abu for the last couple years.  I do have one JM Signature reels I bought last year and I like it.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

dominater

For approximately $80 you can get an older shimano cu-100 or cu-200 on ebay. 

Mike S.

How about the Ardent reels?  Anybody use them?  Are they quality pieces, or just pieces?  I saw the F700 Denny Brauer edition, and I want it.  I know it blows the inexpensive reel search out of the water, but it looks really sweet.  I'm not necessarily going to buy the 700, the 500 is pretty cool too.  They just caught my eye, and they are a flipping/pitching specific reel. 

REEL_MAN

I see that most everybody is looking at cost. That's important BUT function is more important. A small spool will allow the line to feed out smoother and faster than a large spool. Not as much capacity but for flippin and pitchin you don't need a lot of capacity. You also need high speed more than power. You will make a lot of casts so the faster you retrieve the bait the more casts you can make.
After you make your selections don't settle for your second choice you will never be happy with the reel, save a little longer and be happy with your choice. With the cost of equipment going up it's better to be happy the first time than have to save up all over again for the reel you really wanted.
Good luck in your decision, lots to choose from.

REELMAN
<))))>{

bigjc

Quote from: mikeszr800 on February 07, 2010, 03:51:40 PM
Quote from: bigjc on February 05, 2010, 10:53:00 PM
The Johnny Morris signature series reel has caught my eye now.  On sale in BPS for 119.  Might have to buy that one.

BPS reals used to be nice, I had several of the older Rick Clun model reals and loved them, but then it seemed like the quality starting slipping with the Extreme series, but the Johnny Morris series looks pretty sweet, I wouldn't mind trying those myself.

Mike S.

I ended up buying the new Quantum Code Red last night off ebay.  It has 10 bearings, a flipping switch, and 7.0:1 gear ratio.  It looks exactly like the KVD signature series reel in BPS, has the same features, andd cost $20 less.  Go figure, it doesn't say KVD on it, so it's cheap!