Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

So what happened at the meeting?

Started by cameraguy, November 04, 2009, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameraguy

djkimmel

I have a few pages of notes. I need another night or two before I can post up what was covered from my notes.

I will say all the bylaw change motions were voted on despite the protest of two clubs, but they were either defeated handily or withdrawn.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mark117

Cool! The board can continue to run the TBF and not the members? GREAT? ::)

No, I'm only kidding....relax! ;D

I thought the meeting went pretty smooth. Everyone had a lot of good things to say. I think 2010 will be an amazing year!!

I just want to thank Tommy Robinson for coming out and sharing his story with us about the divisional. What a great trip! National bound!

Jon

Waterfoul

I'm currently planning on fishing the July 11th event on Muskegon.  This is something new for me.  Is this a draw tourney or do I need to secure a partner?
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Jighead

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 04, 2009, 04:29:37 PM
I'm currently planning on fishing the July 11th event on Muskegon.  This is something new for me.  Is this a draw tourney or do I need to secure a partner?
It's a draw format.
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

djkimmel

Waterfoul, you'll need to be in a TBF club that sends an equal number of boaters and nonboaters on a team to the state championship. Whose boat you use is solved up front by the boater / nonboater designation from the clubs.

At the event, the boaters on each club team are drawn with a nonboater from another club. The draw format part is that each angler does have the rights to equal time fishing their waters (that includes time to and from their spots) and fishing from the front of the boat if they want to.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: Mark117 on November 04, 2009, 01:50:59 PM
Cool! The board can continue to run the TBF and not the members? GREAT? ::)

No, I'm only kidding....relax! ;D

I thought the meeting went pretty smooth. Everyone had a lot of good things to say. I think 2010 will be an amazing year!!

I just want to thank Tommy Robinson for coming out and sharing his story with us about the divisional. What a great trip! National bound!

Jon

The bylaws are what spell out the authority the board has verses the authority they don't have (the clubs have). If we keep getting good turnouts at meetings like that, it can only improve things for everyone. I was glad to see a good turnout of most clubs.

Mark117

Thanks for getting involved with the TBF of MI. This is a draw format. Every angler gets half the time to run the trolling motor and fish his spots if he or she wishes. You must enter as a boater or non boater. To help keep the pairings in order we ask you find a boater or nonboater to sign up with...Each club must send equal boaters and non-boaters.

This is a tournament you will not want to miss!

More members, More bass, More fun,
                                                        Jon

p.s. If anyone has any questions about the TBF of MI please call:
Jeff @ 734 429 2580 or Jon @ 248 835 8730.     Thanks

Mark117

Dan, did you right the bylaws or how did they come about?
You and Dennis did start the TBF of MI correct?

Yes, the turnout was amazing at BPS. Thanks to everyone involved!!

djkimmel

Dennis got the suggested bylaws from TBF Inc. He and I made some changes we needed to get started. We presented them to the startup board of directors. Over the first couple of meetings, the startup board made some changes and tweaks we needed to get through the first year.

cameraguy

Now that the minutes are posted on the TBF website, I have a couple of questions.

Why were the dues raised for the TBF of MI?

What were the by-laws changes proposed by Eric Bond?  They are only listed by letter, not content.

cameraguy

Thanks for the clarification, Eric.

After having a few minutes to go over the minutes more thoroughly, I have a few more questions.

Since the TBF of MI can't afford this;

$5 dues structure for the TBF National was previously covered by the TBF of MI.
2010 – Kids must now Pay individually.
In addition, the TBF is highly suggesting each kid have a Dual FLW membership as well($25) for a total of $30 dues for 2010.

How can it afford this;

Jeff Cox formed a past presidents committee. This currently consists of Dennis Beltz.
Jeff proposed a motion to pay the TBF and FLW dues for life of all past president committee members. The motion was seconded by Jack Cahn. All present voted yes. Dennis Beltz Abstained. Motion passed.

How convenient that Jeff Cox is the current president and, of course, will someday be a "past president".

And is it my understanding that the proposed fundraising (ie; poker games, gift wrapping at Bass Pro Shops, etc.) will go toward providing a entry fee free "2010 State Fish Off"?

From TBF of MI Board Meeting minutes-Jeff Cox has gained Backing to fund the free SFO for 2010 if our fundraising efforts come up short.

Again, why were the dues raised to $25?  Was it to help fund the free entry into the "Fish Off"?  What about the members who aren't interested in fishing the "Fish Off"?  What do they get for their extra dues?

MBell

Quote from: cameraguy on November 10, 2009, 08:11:22 PM
Again, why were the dues raised to $25?  Was it to help fund the free entry into the "Fish Off"?  What about the members who aren't interested in fishing the "Fish Off"?  What do they get for their extra dues?

The dues were raised to cover the operatinng costs of the Michigan TBF.  Without membership growth the last few years a dues raise has been long over due.  We have been surviving financially from the state teams winnings, which is fine but not something we can count on.  We have been extremely lucky the last 2 years to win the divisional and take home the roughly 10k.  As to what members who don't fish the state fish off get for their extra dues, the same thing they got last year.  Cameraguy, here is your response to the same question I asked last year as I was one of the members who did not fish the state fish off. 

Quote from: cameraguy on April 29, 2009, 11:05:29 AM
From the Michigan TBF website...

Benefits of TBF of Michigan Membership:

$1 million in limited liability insurance for your club.
$25,000 excess medical coverage!
Special product discounts from many of our sponsors, including;
    -  Lowrance electronics
    - AFT Products (Cul-M-Rite, ProPak, etc.)
    -  Fish Hedz
    - C.A.S.T. Wireless Lanyards
    -  PRO-Tournament Scales
    ... and more
A chance to advance through competition to fish in four major bass tournaments;
    - Forest L. Wood Cup (1 pro angler, 1 co-angler)
    - Federation National Championship
    -  BFL All-American (6 boaters, 6 co-anglers) 
    -  BassFan Army Weekend Warrior Championship (6 boaters, 6 co-anglers)
"Living the Dream" contract for the winner of the Federation Championship.
Fully-paid entry fees into the six (6) qualifying FLW Tour events held during that calendar year, or fully-paid entry fees into the five (5) qualifying FLW Series events held during that calendar year.
The use of a wrapped "Living the Dream" branded Ranger boat powered by an engine of FLW's choice.
The use of a wrapped, "Living the Dream" branded vehicle chosen by FLW

You can get more info at the TBF website.

http://www.michigantbf.com/Join_TBF_of_Michigan.html

Cameraguy, I don't know what club you are in but your club president should have attended the meeting and can anwer a lot of these questions more thouroughly.

-Matt Belletini

cameraguy

The problem is that dues are being raised to help fund the state championship so there is no entry fee.  So, the non-participating anglers are being forced to subsidize the tournament, with no apparent increase in benefits to them.

This is from an e-mail sent by J. Cox a few weeks ago, "If we can get membership up enough we can keep it free for years to come.  For the plans to go on correctly I will need to raise the dues to 25.00 across the board."

If the budget is underfunded enough to stop paying for kids dues to FLW, then why spend money on things that are not necessary (Lifetime Memberships for past presidents) and take away a huge source of revenue...entry fees for the State Championship.  If 50 anglers fished the State Championship @ $100 apiece that equals $5,000.  It would take an additional 200 members dues to cover that if their entire dues went to the tournament.  Where does that leave youth projects and conservation?  I guess that's where the fundraising comes in.  However, this was covered in the minutes for the most recent meeting; Jeff Cox has gained Backing to fund the free SFO for 2010 if our fundraising efforts come up short.
That seems to imply that the fundraising being done is for the State Championship.  Again, what about the youth and conservation?  It really looks bad when the TBF does fund-raising it is only doing it so tournament anglers can fish a little more cheaply.

Evidently, some members apparently want to get paid for their time off of work and have every penny of expense covered if they make the team.  I never had that ridiculous expectation and did it because it was a great experience.  If that's what team members expect out of the TBF of MI then it is not the TBF I joined and will not re-join for 2010.  

Jighead

Does anybody know what the ratio is of Michigan TBF members compared to those that don't fish the State Championship?  In other words, how many people have joined TBF with no intentions to fish the State Championship or to have their kids involved in the youth events?
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

MBell

Camera guy, what club are you in?  Who is your president?  All of your conecerns were spelled out at the presidents meeting.  There were several handouts regarding 2010 budgets and 2010 state team funding that may help explain the details the minutes lack.

Quote from: cameraguy on November 12, 2009, 11:43:53 AM
The problem is that dues are being raised to help fund the state championship so there is no entry fee.  So, the non-participating anglers are being forced to subsidize the tournament, with no apparent increase in benefits to them.
The dues were raised to cover Operating costs and the youth and conservation budgets based on our current membership which is roughly 100 members.  

This is from an e-mail sent by J. Cox a few weeks ago, "If we can get membership up enough we can keep it free for years to come.  For the plans to go on correctly I will need to raise the dues to 25.00 across the board."
With increased membership, we will be able to cover operating costs through the dues and have money left over to apply towards the various budgets.  The feedback received from the larger TBF states was that the Fish Off needed to be free to significantly increase membership. Increased membership will expand our fundraising opportunities in the future.  The TBF of Michigan needs to grow to serve its intended purpose.  This organization is about more than an easy route to the state team.

If the budget is underfunded enough to stop paying for kids dues to FLW, then why spend money on things that are not necessary (Lifetime Memberships for past presidents) and take away a huge source of revenue...entry fees for the State Championship.  If 50 anglers fished the State Championship @ $100 apiece that equals $5,000.  It would take an additional 250 members dues to cover that if their entire dues whet to the tournament.  Where does that leave youth projects and conservation?  I guess that's where the fundraising comes in.  However, this was covered in the minutes for the most recent meeting; Jeff Cox has gained Backing to fund the free SFO for 2010 if our fundraising efforts come up short.
That seems to imply that the fundraising being done is for the State Championship.  Again, what about the youth and conservation?  It really looks bad when the TBF does fund-raising it is only doing it so tournament anglers can fish a little more cheaply.
The majority of the fundraising is for the state team, but the state team doesn't receive sufficient funding unless the TBF grows or raises money.  Youth and conservation will receive money from what little money the TBF has, their budgets were first priority.  Jeff has come up with some great ideas to raise money and has also personally backed the funding of the state team through his sponsors if we fail to meet our goals.

Evidently, some members apparently want to get paid for their time off of work and have every penny of expense covered if they make the team.  I never had that ridiculous expectation and did it because it was a great experience.  If that's what team members expect out of the TBF of MI then it is not the TBF I joined and will not re-join for 2010.  
Representing the TBF of MI at the divisional can be pretty expensive, especially when traveling far.  The TBF should support their state team.  The State Team should be for everybody, not just guys with deep pockets.

Thanks, Matt

MBell

Quote from: Jighead on November 12, 2009, 12:06:39 PM
Does anybody know what the ratio is of Michigan TBF members compared to those that don't fish the State Championship?  In other words, how many people have joined TBF with no intentions to fish the State Championship or to have their kids involved in the youth events?
Last time I fished the state fish off 2 years ago there were 80 members fishing.  The membership is usually around 100.
-Matt

djkimmel

Actually, the membership had been up to about 230 members at one time when had a little over 80 anglers fish. It has been about 50% fishing the state championship and 50% not fishing on average each year over the life of the event.

MBell

Quote from: djkimmel on November 12, 2009, 01:16:03 PM
Actually, the membership had been up to about 230 members at one time when had a little over 80 anglers fish. It has been about 50% fishing the state championship and 50% not fishing on average each year over the life of the event.
Wow, what happend to all these members?  The highest I've ever heard was 120.
-Matt

Mark117

Let me say a few things:

Jighead good question...a small %?? very small. maybe 10%?

cameraguy....dues are up this year for the new budget! 100members at $25= $2500 operating cost to run a company.

To the non-participating anglers that are being FORCED to subsidize the tourney... I say to them " I promise that their $10 increase will go towards the YOUTH, CONSERVATION, & OPERATING COSTS TO RUN THE TBF of MI!"  Thank you.

Lifetime memberships to past presidents is $75 a yr? Dennis has done more for this federation than any other member! If we can't afford $75 a year for his dues....shame on us! If we grow every year by 3 new members they will pay for this cost!! Not a big deal? Maybe someday we will have 1000 new members with your help.
toot my horn...I helped the TBF grow last yr with 10+ new members?
CAMERAGUY how about you?
My goal this yr is to help the TBF grow to 300+ members. With a lot of help!

"GETTING PAID FOR THEIR TIME OFF OF WORK?"
cameraguy...If you plan a vacation with the family for 7 days.
I'm sure you make a BUDGET for that trip to see if the family can afford to go? YES? We need a budget for everything to keep the federation alive.

cameraguy...you were on the state team the first year we went to WI. Right? What a great experience! WE SHOULD HAVE WON THE 10K FIRST PLACE PRIZE? WHY DIDN'T WE WIN?
We had no money for expenses, we had to pay for the trip ourselves, and we only had a "10 man team?" WHY?  Because no other members could afford to take a week off of work and the team was left 2 men short?  ITS ALL ABOUT FUNDING! Membership growth, fundraising, donations, or sponsorships. I have made the state team 3x's and I have paid for that trip with a lot of out of pocket expense? Looking to LIVE THE DREAM. State team funded or not I will always fish the state fish-off to help support the TBF.  If my company "TBF of MI" wants to pay for my week off? That is a bonus!

The STATE TEAM has brought in 19k+ over the past 2 yrs to help fund the TBF of MI! The youth & conservation efforts have not been left out at all! We have an amazing youth program(Thanks Brian & Dennis) that is well funded and our conservation efforts will only grow every year with the help of the new conservation chairman (Josh)! Looking forward to a bright future.

Without the help of the STATE TEAM......The TBF of MI would be "The Broke Federation". So I invite everyone to join us at the Muskegon state fish-off to help support the TBF and for a great day on the lake catching bass which we all love to do!

cameraguy if you have any ideas to help this federation grow, please let me know.

thanks for your help,

Jon jezierski
                               membership growth committee

p.s. Always looking to someday  "LIVE THE DREAM!"