Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

fall fishing..

Started by zooker, September 09, 2009, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooker

yes i know you all are rakin leaves and shovelin snow off the boat.. well sparky toss an extra log on da fire..i am about to teach ya a thing or three..

since it is a haul to the nearest smallie lake-3.5 hour drive- i'll focus on largemouth..

here in the fall-fall being anytime the water temp drops 20 degrees below summer water temp-it was 78 degrees this morning.. shad start to spawn in the shallows..where there is shad, bass will follow.. now gizzard shad are a spawn and bail type fish. they tend to use any sun radiated source to lay there eggs on..normally rocks,cement,steel..since lakes everywhere are built up the pattern is almost the same..rip rap,docks,or boat ramps..

in detail rip rap-chunk rock deposited in the lake to reduce erosion to property- since shad can and do spawn in these rocks they spawn as shallow as possible. most of the time in less than 1 foot of water..

docks having fished alot of differant lakes. let me tell ya every lake is differant..the key is to find the older cement pillar docks the very shallowest of these pillars are #1 the hardest to get to and #2 have the gnarlest crap around them..

now we move on to my personal favorite, cement boat ramps..
lake front owners have these placed in the water. several differant ways.. most are a "drop it" on the bottom type.
they are never removed unless they break..mostly they have been in the lake for the past 10-20 years. over time the wave action and regular bank erosion cause these ramps to be 2-3 feet higher than the surrounding lake bottom.

note the brush growing between the ramp and the lake bed..

since shad love to use these for spawning the rarely used cement ramp hold bass off the edges or off the end..

when fishing these structure a crankbait or a fluke is a the best to use..as for the crankbait what ever color seems to work on your particular lake. in a shallow crank - i use bandit100, speed traps, or norman baby lil n's. flukes are trickier since the bass are mauling 2.5"-3" shad a 6" fluke may largely be ignored..perhaps you could use a tube -we don't use tubes here-

the trick is to get the bait as skinny as possable. it's ok wack the bank if ya have to. catching a large bass in 6" of water is a kin to having a cinder block thrown in the lake.. i would recommend loading your reel with some heavy line as rip rap and docks tend to eat the best mono you can buy..i use 15-20 pound test mono remember your not going for depth here..
not to mention haul bass like the 8 pounder i caught this morning out of a brush pile..

yeah i know what does a redneck who only fishes 200 days a year know??...a lot more than i'll tell ya here...

zooker

live from the land of the crankbait...