Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Need Some Michigan Feed Back !!!

Started by sterk149, September 08, 2009, 02:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sterk149

Our Dealership in Michigan is looking at adding Legend Boats To our line-up. I recently had their rep into the store with a 211 Alpha and took it for a test ride, It is a very impressive boat it handles rough water great and sites nice and flat in the water. The boats fit & fininsh was the best I have ever seen ( everything was done to the greatest of deatail). My question is to the guys from Michigan - What do you think of these boats and will it sell here?? Thanks
Camp & Cruise - Sales
RDT- Reel Deal Tournaments - Owner/ tournament director

Chad@campandcruise.com

McCarter

Its hard to say whether or not they would sell good here.  I have not been in a Legend but have heard nothing but good things concerning the quality of the boat and how well they handle "our" water.

Ranger seems to have a pretty good strangle hold on what little a market boat sales have become in the past 8 years up here.  Stratos sell very well here as well. 

Other companies that make stellar boats have struggled.  Bass Cat, Champion, Skeeter, Triton to name a few.

In this economy, it is impossible to tell.

But i do like the looks of the Legends.  If my bait company ever makes it  big, i will buy one for me and one for my buddy John Cheetam ;D

McCarter himself :-\'

thedude

awesome boats. BigJC has a decent one. ;)
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

t-bone

Great now the John thing has hopped threads - stop it McCarter... I'm sticking with last names from now on.

I rode in Anthony Bicy's legend in a BFL tournament. It was a gusty day with some big waves. It handled the swells and waves pretty good.

The live well divider broke down and merged our fish, but it was probably an easy fix. I noticed that the seats seams were starting to come apart.

The trailer is pretty blinged out with those huge rims. I thought that was just Anthony's customization but there was another in the parking lot. That might turn traditionalists a little off.

I think the biggest thing that will need to be changed is peoples perceptions that Legend is a southern speed boat and not for the northern big waters. I know I was thinking that but was pleasantly surprised.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

TritonTR20

I knew a guy that had one a few years ago. He really liked it, but it did not have much storage space. That might have change by now.

Mike S.

Those are sweet looking boats.  What kind of price tag do they carry?  Trailers are pretty kick behind too.

SethV

The only thing I would worry about with a smaller boat company is what happens when the boat gets torn up?  I have run Bass Cat and Ranger - both companies have been phenominal taking care of anything I manage to destroy - and you will destroy stuff on the water up here - regardless of brand.  Thats why I can't picture myself in anything other than Ranger.

There are some boats that I don't belive are put together well enough in the first place to handle the great lakes.  I have no idea how well Legend is built - but they look nice.  If they get a proven track record of durability and service after the sale, they would be great for your dealership.

Seth

thedude

they were originally designed by the guys from champion. my only experience with the factory has been through John C - but i know they went out of their way to take of him.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

VinceR

I will offer an opinion froma a slightly different perspective. I do not own a Legend. I am, however, the original owner of a Cobra that has just completed it's 11th season on Michigan waters. This includes a fairly liberal dose of St. Clair, the St. Clair and Detroit Rivers, Lake Erie, and (to a lesser degree) Saginaw Bay. This says something to the quality of the boat.

You may be aware that Legend is essentially what Cobra (now defunct) has "evolved" into, and are built in the same city (as is Bass Cat, and formerly, Champion). Many of the original Cobra and Champion employees are now employed by Legend, including factory and design personnel. They (along with several other brands) are closely based on a John Storie design. That said, what I have seen in my "close" visual inspection of several Legend models is that evolution has done what it is supposed to do. Most, if not all, of the things that I would have liked to see improved have been done.

The Legend hull was (slightly) modified to make for a drier (and higher) ride. This also improved the speed. Modifications were made to the bilge/battery area to make everything more accessible. The cap/console was updated to include a modular design.

Cobras already had very good fit, and finish. This seems to have improved with Legend. The "Blinged" trailer that everyone has seen is optional. The standard trailer is your typical square tube design, with laser cutouts, matching paint, and 14" mag wheels.

So, to answer you original question. I think that Legends are a well-built boat that "should" sell here in Michigan. I say should because I fear that they will face the same issues that Cobra faced. One being that they are a relatively new company that very few people know about, here in Michigan. The natural concern is "Will they be around if/when I need warranty attention? Two, being a relative unknown, there are very few on the water for people to become familiar with. Three, looking around, you will see that Michigan anglers are (understandably) loyal to only a very few brands (Ranger, Triton, Skeeter, Stratos, Nitro, and to a limited degree, Bass Cat and Champion).

Legend appears to be heading in the right direction. They are building a loyal following through good customer service and the features that anglers want. One of the keys to success (IMHO), here in Michigan, will be exposure. People have to see for themselves that this is a quality boat that is an attractive (spelled quality and price competetive) alternative to what is already available. I mean, they don't get much better than Bass Cat (again, my opinion), and look at how hard it's been for Bass Cat dealers to make a go of it here.

Truth is, if I were buying a boat today, Bass Cat and Legend are the two that are at the very top of my list (love them North Arkansas boat builders).

fish hound

Legends are sweet looking boats and from the one I've seen the fit and finish is excellent, but as far as design, they're not a ChampioN.  John Story signed a non-compete clause when he left Champ and the first Cobra/legend was a copy of the 482 Ranger with some mods. 
    http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/366410-the-champion-world-according-to-pat-goff

Matt

VinceR

Quote from: fish hound on September 10, 2009, 10:34:37 PM
Legends are sweet looking boats and from the one I've seen the fit and finish is excellent, but as far as design, they're not a ChampioN.  John Story signed a non-compete clause when he left Champ and the first Cobra/legend was a copy of the 482 Ranger with some mods.  
   http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/366410-the-champion-world-according-to-pat-goff

Matt

You are correct, however, the "no-compete" clause only prevented him form using the "V-wedge" design that was used in his early Champ hulls. It did not prevent him from incorporating certain "design elements" into subsequent hulls. Elements such as the extended transom and adding reverse chines (or strakes) to the hull for handling, and the curved  or "dropped bow" design to improve visibility on plane off.

The boats that I was reffering to when I stated that "They (along with several other brands) are closely based on a John Storie design" are Cobra/Viper/Venom, Hawk, Fisher/ProCraft (Pro Series), and Legend (LE Series). All of these are based on the Ranger hull that he "splashed" for the original Viper model. The design elements that I listed were incorporated into his original "splash" of the Ranger hull, and carried through all of the brands that I listed above.