Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Question about Nitro boats

Started by Mike S., September 08, 2009, 07:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I am currently looking for a new...well, used boat.  I love the Nitros, and was just wondering what people's opinions were on them.  Do they do well on the bigger, rougher lakes?  I will more than likely buy a 19 footer, so any feedback would be great.  Thanks.

zooker

first off the new boats are a joke..look under the consle. any time you would have to work under there the fiberglass ends would cut you to ribbons..fit and finish REEK.no customer service.here is the biggy place a mag light in the rear compartment turn it on and shut the lid.. you can see the light shining thru the hull..the industy stand is 15mm side wall -skeeter ranger basscat-nitros are barely 8 mm if that..

i would not own a new nitro if ya gave it to me...

zooker

live from the land of the crankbait...

McCarter

i know a few people who have owned them who didnt like them at all.  i also know a few people who own them and love them.  i have heard that it is hard to get them serviced up here.  i dont know first hand.  bottom line is, do your homework.  GLBass.com is a great place to start, but also check out bassboatcentral.com and read the boat forums.  i think there is one designated for Nitro.  read what owners are saying.  the proof is in the pudding.

McCarter himself :-\'

thedude

i have a tracker avalanche and hate it. Custom service is about as bad as it gets and the fit/finish is terrible. I would put nitro/tracker at the bottom of the list.

I wouldn't ever buy a new boat these days either... figure for a  17 or 18' nitro with a 115 you're gonna pay 18k+ for it.

You can easily find a lightly  used 19-20' triton, champ, skeeter with a 200hp+ engine for that price. I was looking this spring and had plenty of leads. My buddy is selling a nice '03 tr20 w/ a 200 vmax for like 17k. (which is a bit high still for what the market will bare IMHO).
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Potter

I owned a nitro 700 for 5 plus years.  I had zero problems with the boat.  What you hear about fit and finsh is, for the most part true.  Customer service is poor locally IMO.  The fiberglass tearing you up is true.  Bottom line, it did fine for me.  But if the proof is in the pudding, I now own a BassCat Pantera IV ;D.  Not even in the same ballpark!

TritonTR20

I had an 18th Nitro that I bought new for 13,000 (some time ago) I had it for 10 years and sold it for 8,000. Pretty good resale. Didn't have any problems with it. Having siad that thare are not a bad starter boat. No where near the features or quality of other brands. If it was me I would go for a better boat used. I have a triton now and there is no comparison.

fasttrack

I bought a used, but well cared-for Ranger this summer partly because of their great reputation of being a solid, dependable boat. (Kimmel will certainly back that one up!) Two buddies have owned Champions for at least 10-15 years - they ride like a dream and have been virtually problem-free. My new partner this year, Waterfoul, will likely be adding his 2 cents. Since he knows boats well and also bought his boat this spring you'll want to pay attention to his advise too. Keep up the research so you can make a good educated decision. Best Fishes, I mean Wishes!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

kgr624

I have owned a 1999 nitro 882 with a 150 and a 2005 nitro 898 with a 225 on it and have to say that if you are thinking of buying used you are going to run into minor problems no matter the brand. But as Nitro is concerned I love my 898 and wouldn't trade the price I paid for any other boat. I will say Ranger, Champion, and Skeeter are all nice boats but you are also going to pay for their quality (which is all trim pieces and assesories) and hull design (Ranger). Your best bet is to find the best deal you can for the fT and motor size. Look at the care and hours on boat.   
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

yukonjack2

Bass Pro shops (nitro brand ) has a new sales and service manager Anthony Adams.  He can be reached at 248-209-4179  they have turned around any service issues of the past and run a top notch service facility here locally.  I encourage you (and anyone with Nitro or Mercury issues) to give him a call and put all previous misconceptions aside.  I think you will all be pleasantly surprised.

In addition they understand tournament fishing time pressures, and will do what it takes to get you back on the water to not miss you tourney if possible.

Seth recently had a good ecperience with his Pro XS repair there, so please chime in if ya like.  Finally, Call Anthony on your boat requirements, he is hooked up nationwide with the other stores, and can search for you for a new as well as used boat to fit your specs and budget.

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

SethV

I run a Ranger with a 250 ProXS Merc.  After moving to Michigan not too long ago, I have been hunting for a first class service / repair shop.  I can tell you, tracker marine service center has my buisiness, 100% in the future.

These guys went above and beyond to get me fixed up - not just once, but twice.  First time, the repair was done same day in just a few minutes.  Second time they needed parts - Nelson came in on his day off to diagnose the problem and Rich was fantastic getting the parts overnighted from Merc.  Same day the parts came in, I was back on the water.

Best yet, the repair was done RIGHT - not just fast. 

As for Nitro boats - well, I am a Ranger guy so I can't tell you about them.  Never owned one - but, if you are worried about service at the Pontiac, MI Tracker Marine Service Center - don't worry a bit.

Seth

Mike S.

As far as service goes, I would probably end up going to D&R in Kalamazoo.  It's only an hour and a half from home.  Has anybody here dealt with them?  Or, do you know anybody who has?  I'm not totally stuck on a Nitro, but I really like them.  I realize that every boat is going to have it's problems, but I really want to buy a quality boat.  My wife says I'm going to be stuck with it for a while.

TritonTR20

I bought my triton at d&r. No problems. Randy will take care of you. They do good work, but I wish they were a little faster.Any used boats they sell have been gone over by the service department before the take them in on trade to make sure they are in good shape.

fishnfool

I own a 2005 Nitro 929CDX and do not have any problems with at all. Everyone has there own opinions and there own experiences so take everything with a grain of salt. I get my boat serviced at the Auburn Hills Tracker shop and their customer service is great! Like I said I do not have any problems. If you are heading out to bigger water it almost doesnt matter what brand you buy in an 18 or 19ft boat you get worked over on a rough day. The new Z series, perticularly the Z-8 has a new hull design more for rougher water.

Mike S.

Unfortunately, my wife says no to the $40,000 price of the Z8.  They have one at D&R right now.  I really liked it when I got on it.  It was like looking down a football field from front to back.  But anyways, I ran across a demo video for the new Skeeters, and was impressed.  Now I think I'm going to check into Skeeter and Champion.  I'm going to do my homework before I buy a boat.  Probably wait until spring, so I don't have to get picked on by my wife for sitting in my new boat in the garage all winter.  Also frees up more gas money for the snowmobile.

Lightningboy

OK, I'm a former Tracker owner.  Known several Nitro owners too.  You'll find plenty of "never had a problem" Nitro owners.  But you can't compare, since you don't really know what level of abuse gets handed to each rig by the owner.

From my persepective, I love my machines, but drive them hard.  I don't abuse my rig, but it gets USED!  My experience with Tracker/Nitro is they need to get that price from somewhere.  You can't sell a boat for less money, unless you're saving that money somewhere.  That means below decks.  Expect minimal under deck fit & finish.  All wiring will be just adequate for the job.  Same with fasteners.  Also, many opt for the "deal" motor/TM/electronics.  Repeat after me:  NEVER LESS HP THAN THE MAX ON THE RATING PLATE!

Triton, Stratos, Ranger, etc will get you the chevy truck of the bass world.  Pretty good designs, and pretty good construction.

You need to move away from the cookie cutter world to get serious construction detail.  Bullet, Alison, Stroker, etc.  But those are nearly semi-custom rigs, you shouldn't expect any less.

Maybe everyone here can give you some good 19 ft suggestions, if you tell us about what kind of waters you spend your time on.  I'm gonna give you very different recommendations on a ride if you spend most of your time on small water vs half your time on the big lakes.

As an example, I have a 2000 Triton TR21.  Not as good a big water ride as the "X" hulls.  But between the hydraulic J/P and trim tabs, it ain't too bad a big water ride.  But I'll take that compromise, since the '99-'01 triton hulls were some of the fastest they made.  But only cause it's important to me.

Mike S.

I live 5 miles from Lake Michigan, at the Northeast end of Muskegon lake.  If I go to the big lake, I can access 4 lakes that are good to fish and are within 10 miles either way.  Alot of people make these runs on tourney day, so I dare say I will be in rough water at some point.  Also, Muskegon lake and Spring lake get pretty rough due to all the boat wake on nice days.  These two lakes are very popular for pleasure boaters.  so, I guess I need something that can handle it.  Also, I am a bit of a maniac on the water...I like to jump big boat wakes and freak my passengers out.  My 17 foot Bass Tracker has paid dearly for that!  I plan on being easier on a new boat...a little easier anyways.  Everybody's input is nice, and I think I am going to stay away from the Nitro's.  I have a dealer who PM's me about a Stratos he has, how are they?  I also was impressed with the demo I saw of the new Skeeters.  I really like the Champions and Bass Cats too.  They are pretty pricey, and I can't find a nice used one around here at all.  I'm hoping to get a ride in one of these boats on White Lake this weekend....would like to have something to compare to my buddy's Nitro.

Lightningboy

I'd agree with your nitro decision; nothing against them, just can't afford to chance the resale value.

Stratos is an excellent hull design.  Fast too.  May not be the best big water boat, but not by much.  Did I mention you can make those suckers run?   ;D

Champs have good quality fit & finish.  Decent big water hulls too, depending on the model.

Kitty's are a different animal.  BC is still a family owned business, and they do put customer service up front.  One of the only moderately popular rigs you could actually talk to the president of the company.  Good all around boat; won JD powers for a couple of years recently.  Love/hate on the styling with most people.

I will make two strong suggestions.  Again, max HP on the boat!  Anything less hurts your resale, and you'll probably be sorry every time you drive it.

Plan on a jackplate.  It allows you ultimate adjustment of motor height to tune the rig to run best.  Also, increases the leverage of the motor on the hull, allowing you to launch better with different props.  A hydraulic JP is the best, since you can lift it to run fast, and drop it deeper to keep bite in rough water.

Robert

As a previous owner of a Stratos 201 XL with 200 hp, I was happy with my boat, but it was time for a new ride.  This spring I purchased a new Nitro Z-7 with 150 hp after checking out many other brands.  I closely scrutinized the quality of the boat at the time of delivery and found the quality and detail to be completely acceptable.  I prefer the no haggle pricing versus having to negotiate the purchase price, when you never come away knowing whether or not you received a good deal.  As you shop around you too will find that Nitro has the best pricing.  As with any boat, after the purchase, most of the satisfaction comes from how well you treat it and how well you maintain it.  I fish an average of 55 local tournaments a year and have felt no disadvantage by reducing my boat size and at the same time feel that I have saved between $15,000 and $20,000 between my previous new Stratos and my new Nitro.  Be sure to check out the Nitro Rewards Program, it only takes a 20 boat tournament to earn bonus cash!! I purchased my Nitro through the Auburn Hills Bass Pro Shops Nitro/Tracker Center.  I have not needed the assistance from the Service Department other than replacement trailer lights, and the Service Manager Rich immediately sent them to me at no cost.

Robert

Puma

I owned a Nitro, fished out of it for a number of years as well as fished out of another for a few years.  Honestly never had any huge problems with it and it fished decently.  But, fit and finish was terrible and those plastic tubs they use for their compartments always broke and most compartments always leaked.  The worst thing was the ride, absolutely horrible in anything over heavy chop.  I got wet and ended up wearing a back support. 

I then graduated to a comparable sized Bass Cat and it was like going from night to day.  Great fit and finish, dry ride and as smooth as glass, even in heavy stuff like you will see on Lake Michigan and Muskegon lake.  You will be amazed at the customer treatment you will get even buying a used Bass Cat.  I'd be happy to take you for a spin on Muskegon when we get soft water.  Don't live that far from their myself.

Good luck in your decision.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: mikeszr800 on September 14, 2009, 08:22:45 PM
I live 5 miles from Lake Michigan, at the Northeast end of Muskegon lake.  If I go to the big lake, I can access 4 lakes that are good to fish and are within 10 miles either way.  Alot of people make these runs on tourney day, so I dare say I will be in rough water at some point.  Also, Muskegon lake and Spring lake get pretty rough due to all the boat wake on nice days.  These two lakes are very popular for pleasure boaters.  so, I guess I need something that can handle it.  Also, I am a bit of a maniac on the water...I like to jump big boat wakes and freak my passengers out.  My 17 foot Bass Tracker has paid dearly for that!  I plan on being easier on a new boat...a little easier anyways.  Everybody's input is nice, and I think I am going to stay away from the Nitro's.  I have a dealer who PM's me about a Stratos he has, how are they?  I also was impressed with the demo I saw of the new Skeeters.  I really like the Champions and Bass Cats too.  They are pretty pricey, and I can't find a nice used one around here at all.  I'm hoping to get a ride in one of these boats on White Lake this weekend....would like to have something to compare to my buddy's Nitro.

20 minutes down the road from you sits a 2003 Champion 193 CX DC w/200 VMAX; without all the tournament start-up costs this year I would have a nabbed it for sure.  I sat in for about 2 hours the other day and it is in excellent condition.  There is also a Ranger in what I would call better than NEW condition down the road a little further for private party sale. I think its a 188 (maybe a 185 not 100% sure) with a Merc 150 Opti, 3 bank, 101 Maxxum - like I said this boat is nicer than new because the owner is beyond metacilous.  I know of another Ranger in Howell but that ones spoken for hopefully ;)

I'd go to Marne and have Chad show you that Champ for sure.  I'm no expert because I've never owned one (fished and rode in everything but a Nitro so far) but if you want to run around on Lake Michigan or St. Clair I would look at Cats, Champs, Rangers and Stratos real hard before making a purchase.  Anything other than the I-Class Skeets aren't really designed for big water; just look at the hull design of the Skeeters and compare to a Champ, Cat or Ranger and you'll see why this is true.  If you are even entertaining spending the big bucks look a Legend - they'll give Bass Cat a run for their money in the near future in my opinion.  I've only road in an Alpha 211 but at 70mph I didn't even feel anything under 2-3 foot wake/waves, smoothest ride I've ever taken hands down.

The one thing no one can argue with is the 2009 J.D. Power & Associates Boat Competitive Information Study in which Bass Cat ranks highest in the bass boat segment for a fifth consecutive year, receiving five out of five powerball ratings in every category. Ranger went #2, and Stratos #3.

Whichever way you go any glass boat you get will feel like your riding the Ludington Ferry in rough water after flying around in the Tracker, I know exactly what it is like going vertical every time you hit a jet ski wake after fishing a Sylvan with a 115 Opti for the last 5 years.  I will miss going completely airborne all the time though, that freaked out look of the passenger is priceless!  I'd take Puma up on that spin on his Cat for sure - might as well set the bar high right of the start.  Good Luck & Have Fun!
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com