Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dale Ho0llow Lake Tennesee

Started by yankee jigger, August 30, 2009, 10:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankee jigger

Guys,
   Going to Dale Hollow Lake in tennessee in late october.
   Never been there.Any advice????
Sometimes its better to ask forgiveness than seek permission.

River Rat

That's a big long body of water, depends upon what you're after.  When I've ben out on the Obey out of Byrdstown we used to find smallies suspending along the deep bluffs or in the backs of creeks (depending upon the weather/water) and crappie in the flooded tree tops).  Make sure you have a GPS or very good map, too easy to get turned around with all the creeks and channels and the points all start looking alike.
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Dan

Went down around middle to end of October a couple years ago. We fished it blind. We caught some spots fishing what weed growth we could find along the inside edges of cuts. Caught, what we thought was a world record smallmouth for about three seconds, turned out to be a big sheephead. Caught all our fish on 4 inch curly tailed grubs. Locals said to look for islands with flats around them. Fish very early or late is what they said. The water was extremely low at that time. I have the trip we took south blogged on my teardropbass.com website. You would have to look under the archive blog section and look for the Florida Federation Nation Championship trip. http://teardropbass.com/
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Buckeye

I love to hate this lake.  It's beautiful country, but I've been there 3 times and each and every time, the bite has been a live bait bite.  It's frustrating to drive 4 hours down there to find out there isn't much going on except guys throwing live bait.

I've stayed each time at the Cedar Hill Resort.  Great encampment near the dam.  Two ramps in the resort, and one just beyond it (Pleasant Ridge if I remember correctly).  It is an easy place to get out of sort.  Everything looks the same, and nothing noteworthy to mark your way. A map or GPS is highly advisable. 

I "hear" the better smallie areas are south toward the dam, and the closer you get or go into Kentucky, you will find the better largemouth fishing.  I would be prpared for jerkbait fishing, jigs, and float and fly.  There's a gas station near Cedar Hill (One Stop?) that carries good amounts of gear, and most of the fishermen gather up there in the morning.

Eric

yankee jigger

Thanks guys for the tips.
    Im fishing for SMALLMOUTH,cut and dry.Staying at Cedar Hill also with a friend i had in high schoool that i havent seen in 20 years.He swears BIG Smallmouth last year so ill see what happens.
    Being a deep lake and the water will still be somewhat warm,wouldnt a dropshot rig be a good bet?????
   Oh yeah,i have GPS on the graph and also a handheld garmin. :o
                    Brian

River Rat

The Hollow is a beautiful lake and can be very humbling.  I've got family in Byrdstown so I've always fished more up that way and am not very familiar with the lower/dam area.

I mentioned the maps/GPS earlier 'cause when I was about 13 I got lost running thru the different creeks!  Scared the you-know-what outta me and after about 2.5hrs I finally found my way back to the ramp...

Not sure on drop-shotting there, if you can take the wait, you might try a 4" wacky rig and let it flutter down the sides of the longer bluff points (if there are any in that portion).  Don't forget the old-school white bucktail jigs!

Good luck and enjoy!
Scott

t-bone

RiverRat - I too have family in Byrdstown (Huddleston's and Groce's). I'm sure they know each other - everyone does down there. Probably all have breakfast at the BobCat.

We go down every spring out of Eagles Cove and catch monster gills and shellcrackers. Not to mention catfish. Every year I'll break out the bass lures and rarely catch much of anything. It is a huge lake and way different than up here.

It is some of the most beautiful land and nature you'll ever see, well worth the trip.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

River Rat

T-Bone,
I love the biscuits 'n' gravy at the BobCat!  It's just right up the road from my uncle's house.  Gib Taylor (my great uncle) still lives in the family farm house on 110, the big white one with the red roof and old barn just 1/2 mile east from the BP/Bass Pro.  Too small of a world....

I fished my first BFL as a Co down there out of Eagle Cove.  It was hailing, thunderstorms, and several tornadoes that Friday just before the meeting and to this day Anthony still blames me for all the bad weather we have up here during each tourney!

Buckeye

I've fished a drop shot there without much action.  The whole lake looks great, and it is some of the most beautiful terrain I have ever seen. 

I hear tales that the fishing shuts down if it rains, and two of the three times I was on the lake , it was raining.  The other time was extremely cold and low water.  Just the view and the people are worth the trip for me.

Eric

yankee jigger

Im gonna give it my best shot when i get down there.Thats about all i can do.
   On the other hand,i have a good feeling.The guy im fishing with has done very well in the past two years so between him and i,we should be able to find a pattern.

zooker

i'll be there in early may 2010. with about 20+ other forum members-differant board-we'll be going out of starpoint resort..

you all have any idea what baits work in early may?? and don't tell me finesse.i aint dat stupid... when i asked a couple locals who have been there i got "don't go" answer..

i would love to pick some ones brain that fishes there a bunch...

zooker
live from the land of the crankbait...