Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:45:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New to Board with a Little Fishin' Report Too

Started by rufus, March 31, 2006, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus

Howdy,
I am from extreme NE Indiana in the town of Angola. I have been fishing the Michigan BFL for the last two years. I just found this site today and was very impressed. I am an extreme "diehard" and have been out into any open water I have found since the middle of January (in between ice on and ice off, crazy year!) at least 30 times. We are blessed with our open season and in between early spring tourneys, my buddy and I hit any new little public lake we can find as long as the ramp will allow my TR21 (somehow we always make it work ;D). We recenlty found a little hundred acre jewel that is barely in Indiana. We have been there the last two nights and I have never seen a public lake with these kind of fish. The first night we had 11 keepers that included a 6lb 12oz monster that was weighed and thrown back. Last night we decided to make it interesting and each put our best 5 in the well and weigh them later. I ended up with the pop and candy bar after weighing 19lbs. 10oz. that included a 6 lb. 4oz. monster! I gave up the spot an hour early to a friend who brought scales and his boat (just to help us out!) and he ended up with a 5' 3" and two 4 1/2's. I can't imagine what I would have if I would have stayed. The water temp was 47 and every fish came on a 1/4 oz black jig with a 101 blue pork in 5 feet of water. Those fish out there are stupid and very hungry. I am  a dedicated early spring blade bait man but if I can find a lake where they will take a jig better I am in heaven. If anyone is venturing this way (Lake James chain, Lake Wawasee, or anywhere in this corner) I may be able to help you out. The time to catch a hawg down here is now. God Bless and Good Fishin'!

Dan

Hey,
Welcome Rufus! Sounds like you had a ball. I'm jealous. That open season sounds great. Up here we get an extra month now and there are lots of people who think it will ruin our fishery.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Revtro

Welcome Rufus.  Yes, I too am extremely jealous.  I just got my prop back from the shop today and am ready to go the last Saturday in April, which is our opener.  Can't wait.  Wishin' I was down there in Indiana catching those giants.  Sounds like a blast.  Enjoy your time here at GLB.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fishon1219

Welcome to the board rufus.. I visit the big town of Orland on a regular basis so I know the area you are talking about. I will be down there this sunday fishing on whatever lake its called behind tristate bait n tackle. My father fishes the blugill over by snow bay so look for the stratos with the greatlakesbass.com stickers on it that will be me.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

DOWD

Welcome aboard Heath, glad to have you here. Love Angola, cheap beer! I used to hunt a 3000 acre farm in Kinderhook. I have  buddy that still has a home on Dragon Lake, also loaded with big lm and sm!

Take it easy.

Mark

dhuff

Hey Heath,

Remember me I fished with you and Andy down in Indiana a few years ago.  By the way how is Andy's tackle shop going?  This is Dale the red headed one you may remember.  ha ha.  I see you upgraded in boat alot since the last time I seen you.  You had that Skeeter.  Last time I saw you was down on Old HIckory that year for the Championship. 

Is there any good tourneys on James this year.  I see the one for the Poor BOys division.  I think I will head down for that one.  If you every want to get up here and fish let me know I will take you to some good places.  ENjoy the sight it is fun on here.

djkimmel

I think rufus and I share a mutual friend (and all around crazy guy) - Jeff Bishop. Glad you found the site and hope you come back often.

Man oh man, am I jealous. I'm getting email, and pictures and reports about all these great bass and other fishies people are already catching, and I'm still coughing doing other stuff besides getting ready. I think I'm going to take another dose of cough syrup and zonk out. Then, at least I can dream about big ole bass on the end of the line... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

Welcome Rufus to the best bassfishing forum in the country........no the world.  Indiana fishing sounds great.  I have often thought of going down there to fish, but when St. Clair and Erie are only about 40 minute drives one tends to head to those waters.

BD                  ;D       
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

rufus

Howdy Huff!, There are not a lot of big tourneys scheduled to go out of James this year, but there are several small divisional tournaments you can choose to fish. Let me know if you need any info for it before you come down.
Dan, are you really willing to admit to being a friend of Bish! ;D Yes, I got to know him pretty good while fishing the BFL's. He was my brother's co-angler until my brother had to drop out. I will introduce myself when we are up on Burt/Mullett. I am looking forward to it.
After driving all the way to Oregon, OH yesterday after church to get a few wally's to eat my father-in-law and I had to turn around due to a wind change (SE to NE) that stirred the big water into 6 footers. We went out, but it wasn't worth trying to fish. So we did the only logical thing we could do, drove all the way back to Angola and hit our newfound little honeyhole again. The bite was tough and the weather moved those toads a little deeper. I ended up with 5 keepers and two shorts. My two biggest were 6' 1" and 6' 9". My fishing buddy "Angola Jones" posted pictures of our first two trips on a friend's website. Search google for Rick's Ultimate Bass Fishing and it will take you to the site where you can view them. My work computer is very restricted and it will not let me get there, or I would post the exact address. It is a yahoo geocities address. God Bless and Good Fishin'! 

dhuff

I know Rufus from the tournaments on Lake James in Indiana he is a very good fisherman and an even better person.  Very nice and fun to chat with.  Rufus I am planning on coming down for the Poorboys Division Tourney on James.  Should be a fun time. 

angolajones

Here are the pics.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Jonesy

djkimmel

Holy Smokes!!! That's more like 10,000 words!!! AWESOME largemouths!!

Wow - have I seen a bunch of pictures of BIG largemouths already this spring. And we have members at Santee-Cooper and Guntersville right now probably collecting more!

Thanks for signing up and posting the pictures guys!

(Bish is my buddy too - I'll admit it. I'm not sure if he'll admit he knows me after the way I've fished the last two years...?)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

rufus

I didn't get the pictures of the 6'1" and the 6'9" due to the fact they are on 35mm. We are on a quest this week to catch and 8 pounder. We have made three trips total to "the lake" and have caught 4 over 6 pounds and 15 other fish from 3-5 1/2. It is an amazing little lake. It gets virtually no pressure as far as I can see. We have seen 1 other boat there and he only was there an hour. I don't know if there is an 8 in there, but it will be fun trying. God Bless and Good Fishin' Everyone!